Search results

1. T

The sensor in the upcoming Canon EOS R3 is designed and manufactured by Canon

"AMD doesn't manufacture its processors, they hire TSMC to manufacture them." Apple also uses TSCM to manufacture their glorious new M1 processor. But, everyone's happy to call it an Apple chip; it's industry standard by now.
  2. T

Canon joins forces with the Japanese government and others for advanced chipmaking production

These devices are composed of atoms, all of which are less than 2nm.
  3. T

Canon joins forces with the Japanese government and others for advanced chipmaking production

Given the changing nature of China's Taiwan policy, this is a very good idea geopolitically, too. And is Sony a part of this effort, too?
  4. T

Canon launches “PHIL”, a photo culling app for iOS

Not only that, as an added bonus, this software will help train people to take photos that AI likes better, so surveillance software can more easily find what it's looking for. A sharp, well-lit image of Uncle Karl at the rally is a lot easier to deal with than a blurry one with bad composition!
  5. T

Industry News: Sony FX3 leaks ahead of an official announcement

Is there even much of a market in "pocket" cinema cameras to go after? Even Blackmagic started making the much larger, much more capable Ursa, rather than relying just their first little camera. While Sony has lead the way and helped create the market for mirrorless, this seems like a step...
  6. T

An update on the Canon 2021 roadmap [CR2]

For many people, like those rich enough to afford Canon's top camera, the money keeps piling up due to lack of spending on travel and entertainment. So when it hits, its gonna hit big!
  7. T

Industry News: Nikon to end camera production in Japan

This. Japan has an aging, declining population. Combine that with their comparatively low productivity, and of course Sony has to look elsewhere to sustain their growth.
  8. T

Sony is a huge conglomerate with money coming in from all kinds of different sources. At the dawn of their Alpha mirrorless camera era, they made most of their money from insurance. That's where they got the R&D money to venture into making sensors and cameras to use them. But they've also...
  9. T

Senors in digital cameras are commodity silicon products and are in no way "superior tech." But since you mentioned Apple, their new M1 SOC is very much superior tech, and innovation like that is why they take the lion's share of the margins on their products. Sony's just another contract...
  10. T

Have we experienced our last Photokina? The show has been suspended until further notice

Why Sony? They hardly have any share of the phone market. Samsung, though, is one of the top market leaders. As is Huawei (basically tied with Samsung for the top spot) who would likely attend, too, if the EU would allow them to.
  11. T

Have we experienced our last Photokina? The show has been suspended until further notice

Everyone's going to have to go to Apple's WWDC instead :/
  12. T

Industry News: Nikon releases their Z mount lens roadmap

From what I've read over the years about the gear photojournalists use, 24mm seems to be the new 28mm. Everyone seems to have that 24L. Maybe just in an effort to be new and different, after the many decades of others using 28mm. As for Canon's 28mm offerings, the EF lenses are a little sad...
  13. T

Kickstarter: This Revolutionary Camera Battery will Lighten Your Bag and Change the Way You Shoot

If this turns out to be a scam, can people who "donated" sue Canon Rumors for their promotion of it?
  14. T

This is the Canon RF lens roadmap

Why no 28mm prime (of any speed)? I find it hard to believe that hardly anyone likes that focal length anymore. But I guess maybe it's too close to what cameras do?
  15. T

The future of DSLRs may lay with Pentax, as Ricoh gives us a teaser for the Pentax K-3 Mark III

That pentaprism thing sounds like an interesting new invention.
  16. T

Canon has purchased a Fujitsu FX1000 supercomputer to go “no-prototype” in product development

Sounds like it'll be able to handle all the social media input about what people want for new product development.
  17. T

Sony officially announces the Alpha a7c, the world’s smallest and lightest full-frame camera.

That's a good point. With my Lumix, I can hold onto the flipped-out LCD while also using its on-screen menu with my thumb. If that's not possible with the Sony (due to a bad menu system), then the usefulness of a flip-out is seriosly diminished, the way I see it.
  18. T

Sony officially announces the Alpha a7c, the world’s smallest and lightest full-frame camera.

Finally, Sony have figured out how to make a flip-out screen. And for a small form-factor camera like this, it will make a huge difference. It becomes a very useful point of contact, when needed.
  19. T

Industry News: The Sony Alpha a7c leaks ahead of the official announcement

Yet another 24 MP sensor camera seems pointless to me. But maybe that really is the new APS-C, as far as the market goes.