Search results

1. A

The next EOS R system camera gets a mention again [CR1]

I was thinking the same thing about IBIS. However, if shooting handheld with an RF 50mm f/1.2L on a 70MP body at 1.2 with a shutter speed of 1/50, what are the chances the image will have acceptable focus or be tack sharp? What about any lens at the normal minimum shutter speed? I believe IBIS...
  2. A

The next EOS R system camera gets a mention again [CR1]

I love your sarcasm;) On paper, the R and RP are don't seem to stack up to all the other offerings combined. No camera does. You will just end up with a Jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none camera or a body no one could afford. On the other hand, the EOS-R and EOS-RP are great cameras for what...
  3. A

Specifications for the 5 upcoming Sigma lenses have leaked

I was looking at the Tamron 45mm f/1.4 yesterday at a Tamron event. Focus is too slow on my 5DIV for what I need. I agree that a 28mm f/1.4 would be a great lens after looking at some images from my 24-70mm f/2.8L II from a party that lit Chinese flying wish lanterns. My favorite environmental...
  4. A

A pair of 24-70mm f/2.8L IS lenses coming in 2019? [CR2]

The RF 28-70mm F/2.0 has 95mm filter threads. It would have been even larger if it was a 24-70mm. That's big glass. I agree that a new EF 50mm f/1.2L would not have seen a $900 uptick in pricing but the RF 50mm f/1.2L is not the same lens with a different mount. I believe the RF 50mm f/1.2L is...
  5. A

First look: Canon RF 50mm f/1.2L USM Image Quality

On the wide end, the RF 50mm 1.2 not only blows away the EF 50mm 1.2L but is impressive against other lenses including the excellent EF 24-70mm 2.8L II (50mm at f/2.8). CA and corner sharpness are amazing on the RF 50mm. I think the only reason the 24-70mm looks as good in the center is that it...
  6. A

An epiphany I had regarding what the RF mount means for the future of EF lenses

There is also the money involved with tooling for manufacturing the lenses. Why continue producing an inferior EF 50mm 1.2L after the superior RF 50mm 1.2L has been released? The answer is still money. The EF 50mm 1.2L will continue on until it is not profitable for Canon to produce it. The next...
  7. A

DPReview: Canon EOS R first impressions with Chris and Rishi

So, the EOS R camera body was released as a complement to the perfect lens, the new RF 50mm F/1.2 L. ;)
  8. A

Opinion: Canon is causing its own problems with the RF mount

It is all speculation on our part that there won't be the possibility of mounting and RF lens on an M body. However, I have little interest in mounting big glass on my M50. I prefer to keep the small form factor small.
  9. A

Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

Sony upgrades their models almost every year. Canon starts with lower end and then migrates tech to high end. What worked well on M50 is going into EOS R. What works well on this EOS R will go into the next model up the chain.
  10. A

It's not a hot mess if it is designed to segment the market for broad consumer needs. We want cameras to be like hand tools. Buy a good socket set and it will work forever and continue to work for the grandchildren some day. If we think about cameras as TVs and other consumer products, including...
  11. A

I don't agree with the idea of an upgrade path from EOS-M to EOS-RF. I purchased an M50 because it checked off enough of the boxes to make the purchase. It's a small, light package that takes great images with small, light lenses. Although I have the EF adapter, I rarely use it. I know my L...
  12. A

Anything Wrong with 50 1.8 STM on a 6D?

I like the unobtrusiveness of the shorty 40 and shallow DOF of the 50 1.4. In fact, my 50 1.4 has such a shallow DOF that often the the image appears to have nothing in focus at all! :o Although I don't often do street photography, I'm planning on using my shorty 40mm while out traveling next...
  13. A

Is the EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II Still Being Announced This Month?

Every time I think about upgrading my 70-200 f4 for a 70-200 f2.8 to finish my f2.8 zoom collection, my 70-200 f4L IS USM gets the job done. It gets the job done after I remember to ignore the IS motors spinning up and take a few more steps back to acquire minimum focus distance. A replacement...
  14. A

Patent: Lens Mount Adaptor For Different Flange Distances

It looks a little clunky with the wings sticking out but if it future-proofs my EF glass, I like it!
  15. A

Sony users need to upgrade to a7iv, a9ii, and a7Riv

The best part of the article was "It's known as 'PDAF striping' and it's not limited to a single camera, or even a single brand." That's a great method to downplay an issue without removing the Sony alpha series as the gold standard for all ILC. Too bad Sony couldn't get the acronym correct...
  16. A

Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS Development Continues [CR2]

It's such a good lens, I decided to go for the 24-70 F2.8L II and not buy the IS lenses in this focal range. I need the fast lens more than F4 with IS. My luck is running out with 3rd party lenses and my refurbished deal price on the 24-70 f2.8L II was to good to pass up:-)
  17. A

Dunning Kruger Effect: Why Insecure People Can’t Take Good Photos

Mostly true. My wife skipped grad school for a music comp degree because she didn't want to become a copy of whoever she studied under. However, she needed the foundation of undergrad school to master the theory. I steer clear of any of "club" based on some hierarchy of greatness. I look for a...
  18. A

Dunning Kruger Effect: Why Insecure People Can’t Take Good Photos

This has been a fun thread to read and think about. Being a musician, I'm going to steal a quote from Igor Stravinsky and say that photographers capture photons, that's all. A photograph is merely an insignificant number of photons captured over an insignificant amount of time. It inherently...
  19. A

Ok, so I'm switching to Canon.. Please help!

Sports, high ISO, video - 1DX mkII The 5D MkIV has same AF system as 1DX mkII but at slower frame rate at only 7 fps. I prefer having the option of removing the battery grip and going "light" with my 5D and having the larger sensor. It's a great all-around camera. However, if your primary...