Search results

1. M

What do you use the control ring for? Is it worth the extra cost between the two EF adapters?

Hah, "only" two dials; I traded my old 6D in to help buy the R8 with two and was thinking that was a lot! Thanks for the ideas; still not sure if I want the more expensive adapter with ring.
  2. M

What do you use the control ring for? Is it worth the extra cost between the two EF adapters?

I just got an R8. The camera has so many dial rings on the body that I'm not sure if the control ring is really worth the extra $70 on the two EF adapters, with vs without ring. I haven't used the one R lens I got with the camera enough to tell which adapter I should get for my EF lenses that...
  3. M

How to arrange lighting in a room of mirrors and glass?

I need to take some action shots at the martial arts studio I attend. Fortunately it will all be staged so I can arrange the subjects, not a competition. The overhead lighting is horrible for photography (isn't it always...). The room is about 60 feet by 40 feet, with mirrors from 2 feet off the...
  4. M

Windows 10 Photo Viewer has started mangling the exposure on CR2 files

OK yes it is called Photo, sheesh, they keep changing the names of these little utility programs. Whatever it is, it jacks up the exposure.
  5. M

Windows 10 Photo Viewer has started mangling the exposure on CR2 files

I use Photo Viewer as a quickie slideshow of a new batch of pictures but lately it has taken to showing the image as-shot for about half a second then it mangles the exposure badly and orients vertical shots to horizontal. Anyone else having this nonsense happen?? It is only with CR2 files, not...
  6. M

Canon updates its popular Speedlite Transmitter, with the new ST-E3-RT(Ver.2)

" 2nd curtain sync can be used with Speedlite EL-1, 600EX-RT series and 430EX-RT receiver units, but with EOS R5, R6, or EOS-1D X Mark III cameras only " This seems like a strange restriction. I've have the Yongnuo knock-off for several years and it can do 2nd curtain with any model.
  7. M

Why R5 Mechanical shutter shock so serious? Amost makes it useless.

I don't have an R series so maybe this is a dumb question but how big are the red focus squares on them? In the mirrored cameras those are really small. So are you really blowing it up to billboard size to get the red squares so large in your examples or is that size configurable and you're...
  8. M

Best place to get honest critique of photos?

Maybe there should be some photo critique categories in the subscribers only section.
  9. M

Seeking recommendation for external battery for 5DmkIV

Are you thinking of something like this: Andoer Dual USB Power Adpater, DR-E6 DC Coupler Fully Decoded Replacement LP-E6 Battery - Walmart.com - Walmart.com
  10. M

webcam utility color balance?

Anyone know how to adjust that? People say my picture looks amazingly sharp then ask why am I all yellowish-brown... thanks to lousy older LEDs the color balance is completely off and it's with 2 different model cameras, a 6D and a 77D. The utility has no interface at all and the camera's own...
  11. M

Hot Deal: Canon EOS RP $687, Canon EOS R $1223 and more!

Refurb sales don't have anything to do with new models. It's only about trying to sell returns and repairs.
  12. M

Canon is thinking about more lenses like the RF 600mm f/11 STM and RF 800mm f/11 STM

"Opteka" already makes one of those. You don't want it.
  13. M

Black Friday: Save 30% at Lensrentals.com

Argh, I'm still too irritated with LR after they said since I scuffed the barrel it would be 1/3 of the brand new retail price to repair, and no, I can't get a "keeper" price because they already repaired it so pay up. :mad:
  14. M

Potential privacy issue with Canon cameras and copyright info setting

I guess the real question is, if I leave my name as copyright and the new owner doesn't change it, do I own all the new pictures? Somehow I doubt that will hold up.
  15. M

Are you looking for fast autofocus prime lenses for your EOS M camera? Viltrox may have what you want

Viltrox's own website has rather poor English, is this a startup in Shenzhen or what?
  16. M

Has Canon developed a new 21mp sensor for the Canon EOS R system? [CR1]

I thought it obvious I was making up numbers - the point being that increasing frame rate requires increasing processing from the chips supporting the sensor. Is that incorrect?
  17. M

CPUs could still go faster but the focus has been on adding more cores. Cooling solutions exist to get around the complaints in that article but they're not really worth it compared to adding cores. The trade off for cameras is that frame rates are now what is being ramped up, not MP. A 100MP...
  18. M

Camera MP are a lot like CPU Ghz used to be in the late 90's. Intel and AMD used to chase each other to the next 0.1 Ghz speed increase and brag loudly each increment. If your computer was more than 0.5 Ghz behind you felt like you had a clunker. But they hit 4Ghz around 2005 and since then...
  19. M

The Canon RF 600mm f/11 IS STM and RF 800mm f/11 IS STM were inspired by lenses from the 1960’s

The interview specifically calls out that there will not be a 1000 because the 600 and 800 are designed to work with the extenders to get that length and more.
  20. M

Industry News: You can finally preorder the Zeiss ZX1, but it’ll cost you

The technological item that jumps out to me is "integrated SSD". I've seen too many laptops say they have that but then it turns out to be an eMMC, which is just as SD card that's fixed in place. Then all the worries about flaked out cards would apply to the entire camera since yes, eMMC's are...