Search results

1. T

Canon issues a security advisory for PTP equipped EOS DSLRs, EOS mirrorless and PowerShot cameras

A few notes from reading the write-up and my memory of the 80D settings (aided slightly by the 80D manual I have in front of me unlike my camera which is at home). The WiFi attack hinges on spoofing an access point. That immediately got my notice because I have never connected my camera to an...
  2. T

Canon issues a security advisory for PTP equipped EOS DSLRs, EOS mirrorless and PowerShot cameras

Just a quick note on terminology (and apologies if this was already corrected in the ensuing pages of replies I haven't gotten to yet). You are describing "white hat" (or "ethical") hackers. "Black hat" is who have now been alerted to this PTP flaw and will be working to make money off it rather...
  3. T

Skylum Software’s Aurora HDR 2019 Now Available

Sick of it or not, "AI" is a term with meaning, and Skylum is using it correctly here. I'd prefer "ML" as it is more descriptive ("Machine Learning" is a subset of the larger "Artificial Intelligence" field), but "AI" doesn't mean what Stephen Spielberg shows it as, and as a term of art has been...
  4. T

Are There Any More DSLRs Coming in 2018?

No. Mirrorless marketshare went from 1/6th (20% of the DSLR market == 1/6th of total market) to 1/3rd (half of DSLR == 1/3rd of total). And it "grew" marketshare by the overall market shrinking / DSLR market shrinking. In terms of units sold, mirrorless sold just over half as many units in 2017...
  5. T

Lightroom 7 rumor

There are indeed a lot of companies moving to a subscription model. Many (even most) of them, however, do it in a much more consumer-friendly manner than Adobe. For instance, in my day job I use a software development environment with a fairly hefty yearly subscription fee (around $700/year if...
  6. T

Lightroom 7 rumor

Indeed: From https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Small-Business-Taxes/Taking-Business-Tax-Deductions/INF12043.html#Depreciation It seems pretty clear that you should be able to deduct that several-thousand-dollar lens in your US Federal taxes. And of course it also applies to $75...
  7. T

Lightroom 7 rumor

No, unless your raw format is pixel based, which it is not. DNG conversion does lose data at the margins, which is unlikely to be critical, but keeping a second copy is cheap insurance.
  8. T

This is The Last Day to Preorder Aurora HDR 2018 for Mac and Windows for Bonus Content

Re: Aurora HDR 2018 for Mac and Windows is Now Available for Pre-Order The problem is that there is a wide range of what people use HDR for. The "fake" stuff tends to be flashier (which is why they put that on their website), but I have found Aurora to be really good at more "realistic" HDR as...
  9. T

Review: Canon EOS Rebel SL2

I think the point here is that you have many of the advantages of a mirrorless (size/weight, excellent touchscreen), some Canon-specifics (tilt/flip screen, full EF/S lens library, dual-pixel AF across the full sensor), etc, making it competitive with mirrorless in the same price range. Then as...
  10. T

Lightroom CC: HDR problems - alternative software wanted

I've used Nik's HDR Efex Pro in the past, and just moved over to Macphun's Aurora 2017. The main caveat with the (now free) HDR Efex Pro is that, while it tends to give better results for me than Lightroom, it is not long for this world (the next major Lightroom update may well cause Nik's...
  11. T

Aurora HDR 2018 Comes in September as the Ultimate Cross-Platform HDR Photo Solution

Is there a plan for a "grace period" for people who literally bought Aurora HDR 2017 in the past month (ex, bought August 1, just 15 days ago, and two weeks before the new version was announced) to upgrade at less than $50? I haven't seen anything in the press releases, but it seems like a...
  12. T

Updated Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS Specifcations

The blades will almost certainly be shaped so that "wide open" the aperture (or one near it) is perfectly circular. However, the blade can not be cut so that it is perfectly round at f/1.4 and still at f/2.8. The number of blades in play affects how close it can get as it is stopped down. At the...
  13. T

what do you want to see 7D Mark III

I am a little mixed on touchscreen/tilty-flippy. First, it is more fragile than a standard screen, no question, and this is a bang-up device right now (well, as much as you'd bang up any DSLR). So, that's a point against it. But the feature is absolutely awesome for better perspective...
  14. T

Do You Wish Lightroom Was Quicker? Adobe Does Too

Agreed; options are good, and not everyone's workflows are the same. LR should be able to learn from what you do, though, and work ahead accordingly. Simple predictive workflows are not that hard to implement especially in Lightrooms modal flow (you have a set of heuristics for the Library...
  15. T

Umm, okay. Would the debate end because you don't understand what would be in the database in such a case? This is exactly the sort of thing that is not exercising the database (unless Adobe's engineers are grossly incompetent, but if you believe that then why are you even giving their products...
  16. T

Generally I don't agree, as a software guy. Yes, OSs have metadata management and searching databases (ex, Spotlight on OS X), but you are then using a very general-purpose database which is not tuned towards the types of searches you are doing instead of a special-purpose database indexed on...
  17. T

Macphun Introduces Accent ​— ​an​ ​AI-powered Filter That Takes Images From Good to Great in One Se

Re: Macphun Introduces Luminar Neptune It does have layers. I'm not a Photoshop maven by any stretch, but Luminar's layers are quite accessible and easy to use. I just wish there were better methods for editing the layering masks. I find Luminar's layers to be far superior to brushed-on...