Search results

1. I

Canon talks EOS R3, and confirms that it is not the flagship mirrorless

I found Sigma great at filling in the fast wide lenses in ef myself, the 14mm 1.8 and 20mm 1.4 in particular, with the 18-35mm 1.8 being unique also. Otherwise Sigma/Tamron etc do allow for some cheaper/lighter options over the first party offerings, which doesn't hurt overall appeal of a system
  2. I

Review: Canon EOS R6 by DPReview

Oh yeah, I'm not knocking the r6, and for most cases, it'll be a better option overall. From a cost perspective here though, the cheaper Canon option here is pretty much 5dmk4 release price, so the bargain moniker might not apply as widely down under. In USD here (with tax applied) its just over...
  3. I

Yeah, the point I was making is that right now the Canon system here is quite a jump to get into (especially so if you need new lenses). Even with the ef lenses that are around. In more recent terms, the a7r4 is very similarly priced to the r6 (about 200 in it), the comparison to the a7riii...
  4. I

Jumping on this, is it known whether you can power/charge the r6/5 while using the camera or does it have to be powered down to work? The sonys I use let you power it through the usbc port, which is fantastic for longer video and timelapse
  5. I

I'm looking at the prices here down under (NZ) and the r6 is coming in at 5k nzd, which is only $500 less than what I pre-ordered my a7r3 for when it first announced. The r5 is nearly 8k, which is more than an A9 mk2 here Lenses don't seem quite as bad over the others, but still nearly a good...
  6. I

I was in the same boat with the 6dmk2 also also looked at the 5dmk4 at the time but ended up in the Sony camp as there were a number of features that I wanted at the time. Canon seem to have really pulled themselves out of the rut where they made decent cameras but with some noticeable...
  7. I

I can definitely imagine cases where people have used a 1dx2 for the higher video specs than the 5dmk4, who would be keen on a smaller, more capable rig in the R5. I know at least one person who has a 1dx2 for the 4k 60 - the r5 is probably a better option for them by far
  8. I

Canon EOS R Mark II in testing [CR2]

No doubt that this has been on the drawing board for a while before the ff leader announcement, but I would hazard a guess that the information about a new model coming out sooner than most expected might have been influenced by the recent news
  9. I

Rumoured Canon EOS Rs Specifications [CR1]

Ah, looking on the wikipedia page, it has a comment how Minolta wasn't able to compete well against the 'Big Two of Canon and Nikon', so I thought the duopoly had been around for some time. It may have just been referring to the change to digital however?
  10. I

Ah, I was meaning the Nikon/Canon battle. I got the impression Minolta was not one of the big guys at the time?
  11. I

The new RF glass looks really nice, so it seems canon are on to a good thing here. My point is that I don't think canon will dominate the market as easily as they did with EF - Sony has had a good chance to establish, and they have kept releasing good lenses and new bodies themselves while canon...
  12. I

I think the gap may be closer than Canon would like - Canon haven't brought out a higher end camera since the 5dmk4, and I wonder how many people have started trying other options in that time where nothing new was coming from Canon. The z7 doesn't seem to have changed nikons fortunes as such...
  13. I

Whoops, yes, RP, not the R (which from what I can tell, has a perfectly reasonable sensor)
  14. I

With the exception of the 6dmk2 and eos RP, where the DR is lower than the majority of the current market, it looks like Canon have bridged the DR gap. I think these two camera are the only reason this con can still be used against Canon sensors (edited R to RP, thanks Joules for the typo catch)
  15. I

I understand where you're coming from, and the short answer would be, if your current gear is working well for you, then no. But, there's also the side that if a brand wants people to buy something new/extra, then they have to add something in there too; people who feel their gear isn't doing...
  16. I

The Canon EOS M5 Mark II and Canon EOS M6 Mark II are on the way [CR1]

I understand what your getting at with segmentation, but it still is a strange choice overall - removing an option that older cameras have, and which wouldn't appear to cost any extra, just seems like omitting something because they can. If they were looking for meaningful segmentation...
  17. I

It looks like firmware v1.2.0 for the Canon EOS R will be released on April 18, 2019

The intervalometer feature is a bit of an off one out though, a number of other Canon cameras have this (6dmk2, 5dmk4, rp?) so surely it wouldn't break reliability? It's always nice to have it there as a backup. Other features may be more difficult sure but even then, Canon have done updates...
  18. I

Canon R USB charging - does it work off power banks?

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if it charges while the camera is running, or does the camera need to be in the off position to charge?
  19. I

Canon R USB charging - does it work off power banks?

As per the title, does the Canon R allow charging off a USB power bank, or does it have to have ac power through the Canon power block? I've seen some posts of people being able to use MacBook chargers also, but these need to be plugged in to ac power too, as far as I'm aware. If it does work...
  20. I

Canon Financials for Q3 2018. Sales down, outlook good.

Ah OK, I was hoping to be able to see if it was just bodies (people waiting for the mirrorless) or lenses too (which admittedly wouldn't tell us much as that could be for more reasons)