Search results

1. W

Best of Canon 2023: #1 RF 200-800 F6.3-9 IS USM

The most important product is determined by how one prefers to shoot and is therefore completely subjective. I don't do any wildlife shooting so this top pick has zero meaning for me but might be highly valued by others. Maybe describing who a product is for would help, eg. wildlife, portrait...
  2. W

A minor Canon EOS R6 Mark II firmware update is coming soon

I don't use the grip, I have it by itself too.
  3. W

A minor Canon EOS R6 Mark II firmware update is coming soon

Is your lens firmware on 1.1.4? I ask because I have the same body and lens, and don't have the issue of waking from sleep, although I haven't used the RF 70-200 f/2.8 much this year.
  4. W

SmallRig announces LP-E6NH battery for Canon, priced at $39.99 USD.

May I ask where you purchased the Duracell's from?
  5. W

The down time is here, when is the Canon momentum coming?

There's also the EF Sigma Art 50 f/1.4, but that's probably too large if you're looking for smaller size, I've seen used one go for below $500 now.
  6. W

The down time is here, when is the Canon momentum coming?

I'm looking at things from the opposite angle: during this "period of calm", Canon has been significantly dropping prices through its refurbished arm, for example, the original R6 going for $1,299 and RF 100-400 for $379, if that isn't exciting mid-range value, what is? (the downside I noticed...
  7. W

Canon USA refurb sale, Canon EOS R5 down to $2999, EOS R6 $1299 & EOS RP $599

I understand, the never-ending debate over primes in f/1.2 versus f/1.4 versus f/1.8 (or f2) comes down to preferences and budget. Thanks to adapted lenses working pretty good, we have choices across the board.
  8. W

Canon USA refurb sale, Canon EOS R5 down to $2999, EOS R6 $1299 & EOS RP $599

Another option to consider is the older and used EF 85 f/1.2L II, I got one for under $800, on my R6 I get image stabilization, AF feels as good as any RF 1.8 prime (which is not that great but still), and you get that creamy f/1.2 bokeh that you can’t get with f/2.
  9. W

Canon EOS R6 body down to $1599, plus other big savings on select Canon gear

It wouldn’t surprise me if export-driven Japanese companies like Canon are begging the central bank not to raise interest rates, they’re raking in huge profits now from US sales (as is Toyota, Honda, etc).
  10. W

Canon EOS R6 body down to $1599, plus other big savings on select Canon gear

Maybe it’s the historically low yen-to-US Dollar exchange rate: it hit 140 yesterday and the Japanese central bank had to intervene to strengthen the yen. The point is, for every dollar a Japanese company makes in the USA right now, they make “extra” profit, historically very high profits, as...
  11. W

RF 85mm f/1.2 or 135mm f/1.8?

Katelyn James did an excellent portrait comparison between an 85 f/1.2, 100 f/2.8, 135 f/2, and a 70-200 f/2.8. Her conclusion was that the 85 f/1.2 was her favorite, factoring in both the bokeh and subject distance, although the 135 f/2 was close, and I'm sure the 135 f/1.8 is much sharper now...
  12. W

Canon celebrates 20th consecutive year of No. 1 share of global interchangeable-lens digital camera market

I had the Sigma 50 f/1.4 Art and didn't like the bokeh, which is why paid up for the Canon 50 f/1.2 RF, to each their own since this is subjective, but yes, hard to find good bokeh especially with foliage background. My favorite was the Zeiss Milvus 50 f/1.4 (made by Cosina Japan), loved almost...
  13. W

Canon celebrates 20th consecutive year of No. 1 share of global interchangeable-lens digital camera market

Glad it has worked well for you, it has been a mixed bag for me. Focus acquisition and accuracy was abysmal on my EF 70-300 f/4L + R6 + genuine Canon adapter, while so-so on a cheap EF 85 f/1.8, and pretty good on a EF 35 f/1.4L. Perhaps the newer the EF glass, the better the experience. Either...
  14. W

Adapted EF lenses are currently the best way to fill the gaps between low and high cost RF lenses, this is true for the Sigma example you mentioned, or the EF 85 f/1.4L IS (or even the 85 f/1.2L II), 135 f/2L, 35 f/1.4L, etc. where the EF lens cost usually slices right in the middle of the low...
  15. W

There's two ways (three?) to view perceived industry laggards: either they are spurred on by the competition as you assert, or they wait until a certain feature reaches quality standards acceptable to them, which can take years after their competition releases it. The third way is a little of...
  16. W

End of an era, DPReview.com will shut down next month

You would think that is fundamental, to know how to take good pictures before commenting on the tools that enable it, right? Their photo samples look very amateurish, to put it nicely. It's also telling that they took a picture of a picture of someone's face as they rated products - that tells...
  17. W

Maybe you care about Olympus, Fujifilm, Pentax, and Nikon, but for the majority of people, these are all dead-end products and companies, sorry to say, and the marketshare numbers reflect this. Full-frame has come down in price so much that it's also made m43 increasingly niche, like Panasonic...
  18. W

Says you. Have a look at Bryan’s tdp if you haven’t already, he’s much more objective than dpr and I’ve already given 3 specific examples of why. To me, we lose nothing with dpr’s demise, quite the opposite actually.
  19. W

Bryan at tdp rarely says anything negative, but that's because everything has a place in Canon's pecking order of IQ, price, and size. It makes no sense for example, to complain about the size of the RF 85 F/1.2L, that's like complaining about the size of a V12 engine in a supercar, that's why...
  20. W

Even for Sony reviews, Bryan is more objective. For example, it was Bryan who mentioned the ineffective anti-flicker on the Sony A73, or that many Sony bodies have slow single-focus lock, DPR rarely if never mentioned these significant flaws.