Search results

1. D

Beasties from a French garden

That sounds like a good idea, thank you. It's a little easier to target that than the other! :D I'm in France so not too far away. Thank you for the pointer....
  2. D

Well, as you can see, the S110 should be capable of what the S120 is in most respects. Here's a picture or two of the setup, if that helps:
  3. D

Interesting, thank you for all of that information, Max. I'm nowhere near capable of buying that lens though, hence my interest in the SLT a68 and the availability of some eBay A-mount glass from Minolta. I do though have an old 28-135 EF USM lens that would fit the SL2 to start with....choices...
  4. D

That is precisely why I started this project, Mike - I loved the lens, the IQ of the small sensor and the features of the camera since I first got it four years ago, and I was determined to see if i could not 'achromatize' it. The DOF is wonderful, and let's me shoot all day almost at that low...
  5. D

Thanks for the kind words, Max. The S120 is a surprising little camera for this, I know. Everyone says the same thing. Is the lens you are talking about the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM? It just so happens that I'm saving up for a new rig anyway (I just lost my SX40, the D60 is like a dinosaur...
  6. D

Bee's

No worries dpc. Can I ask where you are? That first bumblebee looks interesting. Oh - and nice photos, too ;D
  7. D

Bee's

Thanks again Click and MikeHit. To dpc, whereabouts are you taking these pics? The one you question looks like a hoverfly, specifically a drone fly of some sort - perhaps an Eristalis species. Would this be a reasonable place to start looking for you?
  8. D

Bee's

I have plenty of bees here in western France, perhaps not as many as there should be by natural law, but certainly enough to keep me entertained when there is nothing else flying. Bumble bees, honey bees, solitary bees of all sorts - they all visit. The bad news is I shoot mainly with a S120...
  9. D

Gray tree frog

Ha - that's great, like no.1 as well. I find it changes things a lot (not always for the better) when the subject takes to your hand, or the camera, or the light source.
  10. D

Thanks for the compliments, Click and ethanz. Turning my cameras on the small things in life has certainly changed the way I think about the ecosystem! It's a fascinating world.....
  11. D

This summer I have been managing to get quite close to some of the inhabitants in my garden, here on the west coast of France. It's been a steep learning curve, but great fun. I'll also be the first to say that these are probably not true 1:1 macros shots for some, but I enjoy taking them -...
  12. D

Mama jumping spider and her clutch of eggs

Fantastic set of photos. Are these stacked or not? The DOF is wonderful in the pictures with the egg sac.
  13. D

Spined assassin bug, S. diadema (I think)

Great photos of a very prickly subject. Nice!
  14. D

P. audax on thistle bush

Love these, tack sharp too.