Search results

1. StoicalEtcher

Is Bowens still in business? Any alternative to XMT500?

Hi Ladislav, Yes - unfortunately Bowens went into liquidation back in 2017 - they basically couldn't compete with companies in certain jurisdictions ripping off their designs and selling them at half the price. But, they have 'sort-of' come back - see the attached...
  2. StoicalEtcher

How do I photograph the moon?

Many thanks for linking that article - while it wasn't me that asked the question, that was an interesting read, with some useful practical tips. Cheers Stoical.
  3. StoicalEtcher

Here is the Canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM

Aah, okay, I understand. Thanks for responding!
  4. StoicalEtcher

Here is the Canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM

Nice shot. Out of interest though, does the red dot not disturb wildlife? I ask out of genuine interest, as a long-time user of the hood-knob technique too (like PBD), but am always interested in learning what works for others. Cheers
  5. StoicalEtcher

Chris Frosts review of 400mm f/2 lens

Thanks for sharing - very interesting. I can't help thinking that an 11kg weight (circa 24lbs for our cousins) plus chromatic abrations and likely cost are good reasons why it never made it into full production!
  6. StoicalEtcher

1DX Mark IV

I'm less sure about the future for the EF Rebel line now - I thnk you are quite right about them forming a large market share still, but if I were Canon, and thinking of the "entry-level" aspect of an entry-level range, I might be planning a full migration to mirrorless, such as a...
  7. StoicalEtcher

Vehicle AF and more coming to the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 in December firmware update

I'd definitely second you for that suggestion - would love it!
  8. StoicalEtcher

Canon Professional Print and Layout issues with MacOS Monterey

Thanks for posting - we get all new Apples in about two weeks' time (M1 iMacs, M1Max 14" laptops) and I'm hoping the IT guys will ensure everything works and talks to everything else, but I'm skeptical - so postings like this help :)
  9. StoicalEtcher

He prefers Sony lenses.

Almost certainly that, and that alone!
  10. StoicalEtcher

Behind The Shot interviews Jeff Cable, to talk about using the EOS R3 in the real world

Aah-ha - is that what the 'rate' button is meant to be used for? :):)
  11. StoicalEtcher

In a shocking development, Canon adds the EOS R3, RF 16mm f/2.8 & RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM to its list of products with a supply issue

I'm more surprised that there have been that many orders for the RF600 f/4 - or did they just not make many in the first case??
  12. StoicalEtcher

Gitzo Legende Tripod GK1545T-RTI Review -Indiegogo

Many thanks for sharing. I was tempted by the product, though was one of those somewhat skeptical that Vitec plc (who own Gitzo) needed to crowd-fund., and so had some doubts about it. By the time I'd decided to go with it anyway, the offers in the UK that were of interest to me were taken...
  13. StoicalEtcher

The Canon EOS R3 is out in the wild

There are also some lucky 'togs at the Italy - Wales match this evening with their R3's in action! Can't be lomg now, surely, for a good leak??
  14. StoicalEtcher

More features and specifications for the Canon EOS R3 have emerged

YES - in a word. In more words: there are always use cases for being able to crop further in, albeit electronically, before presenting your shots on the birds in flight or bird portrait threads :giggle:
  15. StoicalEtcher

And not to mention sticking it in the sand too! :) You'd be hoping it was securely propped up - I wouldn't fancy handing it back to Canon at the end of the week with sand inside :cool:
  16. StoicalEtcher

I've highlighted part of your response - because that is effectively what I am suggesting: I don't think Canon would be saying the R3 is the camera for wedding photographers, given the way they are setting it up in their press releases. Now, that doesn't mean it wouldn't perhaps be a great...
  17. StoicalEtcher

But Canon aren't saying that the R3 is an improved replacement for the R5 - surely this is more about certain models being used designed or specified for specific use types? I can't believe their initial comments alongside the initial releases which say "Our new high-performance, high-speed...
  18. StoicalEtcher

I don't like the new lens designs

For my part, I've always equated 'clinical' with 'sterile' - a very good thing if undergoing open surgery, but also suggestive in non-medical settings as lacking some warmth or character. I'll now go and share Sporgon's tin hat ....
  19. StoicalEtcher

Canon EF 600mm f/4 III with Canon extender 1,4 III?

If you're getting/got the 600, then I'd go for the 1.4x too - it's not much more ..... :) I've got both 1.4x and 2x (both mk iii) - and while I can't speak for how they work with the 600, I use them on a 500 f/4 ii, and for me, and my versions, the 1.4x is definitely better than the 2x when it...
  20. StoicalEtcher

Agencies cutting commissions

I think the bottom fell out of the stock market many years ago (as PDB says) - as the rise of ever technically better photos came with the digital revolution, so stock agencies not only had many more photos sent to them, but also merged to form larger organisations with more power. At the same...