Search results

1. M

Canon will announce more lenses in 2023 [CR2]

Canon seems focused on premium and entry-level and nothing in between. The 200-500/4 will be a show stopper lens for sure, but at rumored 16K, is it really relevant for anyone other than the sports press or the uber-wealthy? What happened to something like their 400 F/5.6? Nikon on the other...
  2. M

Canon EOS R5 Mark II Specification make the rounds

It sounds pretty great, but I'm skeptical. Are they really going to cannibalize the R3 with a Stacked 62MP sensor camera that probably will do at least 20 FPS. Doubt it. Looks more like R1 specs.
  3. M

Canon readies the RF 200-500 f/4L IS with the discontinuation of the EF 200-400 f/4L IS 1.4x

This is a dream lens...but at 16K, [insert some overused joke about kidneys or selling the first born here]
  4. M

The Canon RF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM appears to be getting closer [CR3]

I have to imagine that type of lens is coming eventually. The 200-400/4 is almost 10 years old.
  5. M

The Canon RF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM appears to be getting closer [CR3]

A modern, lighter 300/2.8 is a dream, please let this be true.
  6. M

The next full-frame RF mount camera will be a replacement for the Canon EOS R

Any lens rumors on the way? So far a ton of STM zooms and two eye watering telephotos. Really looking forward to that 500/4...but guessing it won't come until the R1.
  7. M

Canon’s next RF mount camera is in the field

Lost me at vlogger camera
  8. M

Firmware: Canon EOS R3 v1.2.1 has been released

Canon was pretty low key about this update, but in-camera focus stacking is a huge deal
  9. M

Canon will release RF versions of the 300mm f/2.8 and 500mm f/4 in early 2022 [CR2]

Hopefully the timeline is just off due to Covid/supply chain. I'd very much appreciate these two lenses specifically. It will also something pretty much impossible to find in the mirrorless space (apart from the Fuji 200 F2 which is roughly 300/2.8 equiv but doesn't take a 2X TC)
  10. M

Patent: Canon RF 100-600mm f/8-11 IS STM optical formula

Probably going to be very affordable like the 100-400 RF, fine for the average user interested in telephotos. I just hope Canon also has plans for mid-range glass too. If the only other way to get to 600 is a $13K F/4 lens or an $700 F/11 without aperture blades. How about a 600/5.6 or 500/4.5 asap
  11. M

Here are the Canon RF 24mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM and Canon RF 15-30mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM

$7K is a lot better than $18K. One needs only to look at Nikon is currently doing to see what is possible.
  12. M

Here are the Canon RF 24mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM and Canon RF 15-30mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM

I think there are some that have a knee-jerk reaction to any expression of opinion or desire for something else as some sort of attack on the brand I personally agree that a mid-range price bracket of lenses is lacking in Canon, it's either STM lenses with no hood and no weather sealing, or...
  13. M

300 and 500 are optically excellent but the weight savings demonstrated by modern lens design is substantial. A 500 F/4.5 would be expectedly around or just north of the 2KG mark versus 3.2 kg for the 10 year old 500/4 ii. In addition there have been major advancements in AF speed with new AF...
  14. M

Indeed, one would expect with a pro sports body (R3) Canon would be rapidly filling out the telephoto lineup. A modern 300 or 500/4.5 would pair nicely with the lightweight R3.
  15. M

The Canon EOS R1 may not come until the 2nd half of 2023 [CR2]

More lenses would be appreciated, especially on the telephoto end. A modern 500/4, 300/2.8 or maybe a 150-400/4 TC. Nikon seems to be the only one committed to telephotos at the moment, Canon too busy gluing teleconverters and mount adapters on EF lenses
  16. M

Canon Wins Patent for Its ‘Shoulda Coulda’ Supertelephoto Designs

Well I own a Z9 and my partner has an R3. Haven't used the A1 but haven't seen anything suggesting it is miles better than the other two.
  17. M

I own that combination, and the animal eye AF is as good or better than anything the big three have. As for Canon I am very curious to see what kind of built-in TC super tele they (hopefully) have up their sleeve, since they pioneered this design and others are simply running with it.
  18. M

I don't understand why you think stating facts is "emotional irrationality". The 800 and 1200 are literally EF lens designs with an added 1.4x or 2.0x teleconverter group. Furthermore, Canon never developed these lens designs for dual mount, aka mirrorless, as you claim. They were quoted as...
  19. M

Except Canon was touting all of the benefits of the RF mount for lens design including fewer focusing groups and lighter/shorter lenses, none of which materialized in the 400/600. The new Nikkor 800 is sharper and lighter and less than half the cost of the Canon 800/5.6. For the 800/1200 Canon...
  20. M

I could see them putting out a 500/4.5 or F/5 DO per the old rumors.