Search results

1. G

The Canon EOS R3 will be 24mp, confirmed by EXIF data

The A9 outputs at exactly 6000x4000. Although I agree that it would be an odd resolution for Canon as they typically do 4096 DCI video vs the 3840 UHD standard.
  2. G

Here are more images of the Canon EOS R3

I don't think it's that far fetched. The way it's described sounds similar to Sony's real-time tracking mode, where objects are tracked without requiring eye/head detection.
  3. G

The Canon EOS R3 pricing to undercut the competition [CR3]

This is a key point. The R5 has transformed what is possible for wildlife photography where one is very often cropping significantly. Some of my photos, after cropping are in the 6-15MP range and would have been too small to work with on a 1 series. Subjects such as swallows in flight are now...
  4. G

The Canon EOS R3 pricing to undercut the competition [CR3]

Undercutting is fine by me, as long as it's not compensating for being under-spec'd vs the competition on something like resolution.
  5. G

Canon Announces That The Powerful Professional Full-Frame EOS R3 Mirrorless Camera Is On Its Way

Canon USA is quite clear that it works in still photo shooting (so not video) using the EVF. Whether the subject is static or not shouldn't matter. "1During still-image shooting only, through the electronic viewfinder"...
  6. G

The next Canon EOS R5 firmware update is coming next month [CR2]

I agree with what you're saying. I just wish there was a mode (say as part of exp sim) where the lens would stay stopped down at your set aperture, so you have an accurate sense of DOF, ie for landscape or other still scenes where constant DOF preview is more important than AF. It's just...
  7. G

The next Canon EOS R5 firmware update is coming next month [CR2]

Absolutely. The WYSIWYG mirrorless advantage isn't fully realized with Canon taking more of a DSLR approach where the scene is presented wide open.
  8. G

Canon EOS R5 impressions by a Canon EOS 5Ds shooter

Can this actually be done with the R5? It seems to function wide open and only displays DOF when pressing the DOF preview button. And then when pressed one can't actually change focus, which is extremely frustrating for fine tuning focus for something like a landscape using the minimum aperture.
  9. G

I just wanted to clarify things about the EOS R5 and EOS R6 from yesterday’s report

I believe this is more likely due to their quarterly results release which showed the first quarterly loss in history for them. New product launch issues could also contribute. https://finance.yahoo.com/news/canon-plunges-most-eight-years-005235986.html
  10. G

High megapixel EOS R series camera in testing [CR2]

Sounds very much like the rumored 83MP sensor, scaled up from 32MP APS-C?
  11. G

A Canon camera has shown up for certification

Fair enough, and while I don't have them in front of me, online specs show 7.2 VDC output for both. So the Sony does have materially more capacity.
  12. G

A Canon camera has shown up for certification

Higher capacity in the same form factor is logical to me. By comparison Sony's A7/A9 batteries have 2280mah vs 1865 in the LP-E6N despite similar physical size, so it would seem there is room for denser energy storage.
  13. G

What’s next from Canon in 2020?

By high resolution it could mean they're outputting 1:1 without resampling or other algorithms in play to reduce image quality, or it could simply mean it's high resolution, as in, better than 4K. Anyone's guess at this point.
  14. G

Development announcement for the Canon RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1L IS USM is coming alongside the Canon EOS R5

Unfortunately I'm pretty certain they're referring to the image.canon cloud for an April launch.
  15. G

Canon EOS RS Specifications? [CR1]

Assuming this is even true, perhaps they are using dual DIGIC X vs the single in the 1DX3 to achieve the throughput? The 5DSR also used dual DIGIC.
  16. G

Two new EOS R bodies coming in the first half of 2020 [CR3]

I agree. My interpretation of the current strategy is that it's worse for Canon to have users sitting on the sidelines and not buying, when the company is hoping to sell an EF mount 1Dx. That's precisely where I find myself, not wanting to invest in EF and hoping the R bodies ramp up in...
  17. G

I think we're on the same page - my take is that Canon needs its core 1D users to continue to have confidence in EF for the next little while, otherwise they'll view the 1DX3 with suspicion, thinking mirrorless/RF will obsolete it soon. Less so for the rest of the market.
  18. G

I can't see there being any chance of a 1DX level R this year. Their goals will be to sell/promote the 1Dx3, and only launch a 1DR once those sales slow and they have the tech ready. The smart business decision is to space out releases, allowing them to sell high end bodies twice to pros...
  19. G

What surprises does Canon still have in store for the EOS-1D X Mark III?

A9/A9II most definitely have IBIS.
  20. G

Interview: DPReview speaks to the “father of the EOS-1”

The odds of a material resolution increase don't seem great after reading this.