Search results

1. D

Firmware: Canon EOS RP v1.5.0 and Canon EOS R v1.7.0

Updated my RF24-105 L, but do not see a Mac updater for the RP... Edit: found it here https://www.canon.fr/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos-rp.html?type=firmware
  2. D

Feature updates coming via firmware for both the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

The headline is a bit of a stretch. Canon does not say these are coming, merely that they are thinking about it. Still, the fact that they even mentioned it is interesting and I hope these come to pass. You have to think that the sensor can do these, so maybe Canon just did not have time by the...
  3. D

Here are the specifications for the Canon RF 85mm f/2 IS STM Macro

I love 85mm, but I've never loved my EF 85 1.8. My copy is not super sharp, even stopped down, and the lack of IS means I have to keep the shutter higher, negating some of the speed. I'm not even knocked out with the color rendition. So, newer optics, close-focusing, IS, no adapter? This is my...
  4. D

Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lens SKU and kit information

Don't remember about the EOSR, but my RP, bought in early March 2019 for $1299, included for free a standard RF adapter, plus the small non-battery Extension Grip.
  5. D

Samyang announces the AF 85mm f/1.4 for the RF mount

I have the Canon 85 1.8, and (my copy at least) is not a favorite lens. Quality is not great unless I stop down to 2.8, and not having IS means shutter speed must be higher - at least for my now-66-year-old hands. So, I'll wait to see how the rumored Canon RF non-L version with IS compares to...
  6. D

Canon EOS R5 launch price will be below $4000 USD [CR3]

...and in TN, Amazon and B&H charge state sales tax (9.25% in my location) but B&H offers the Payboo option to avoid it. However, Adorama still does not charge state sales tax.
  7. D

Canon announces more mind blowing specs for the Canon EOS R5

1. I hope it still records audio in the 4k high frame rate modes 2. I hope they realize that would probably sell twice as many if they keep it to $3500-$3999 as opposed to $4500 to $5999. They can make up the difference on R lenses... 3. I hope it has DR and low light ability at least a touch...
  8. D

What’s next from Canon?

Until this year I was using an original 6D. I rented a 5div and an R. I liked both, but chose to pass and wait for the next generation. I got an RP to get a toe in the water and really like it. If the new high res mirrorless is $3500 or less I'll get one, but's that probably unrealistic. My...
  9. D

Further confirmation that the RF 15-35mm f/2.8L IS & RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS are coming in September

Yes, there's nothing like hands on testing to curb GAS. I just spent $50 to rent that EF 70-200 f4 mk2 to see how much better it is than my mk1 copy. Yes, it's better, but for me, not worth spending $1200 on, especially when the RF version is about to land. And, I can always rent for special...
  10. D

Further confirmation that the RF 15-35mm f/2.8L IS & RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS are coming in September

I'm anxiously awaiting this 24-70 release. Through a combination of renting and owning I've tested the EF 24-70 f4, EF 24-70 f2.8, and the RF 24-105 f4 - all on my EOS RP. I found the two f4 lenses to have equal sharpness, but the 2.8 was better than both. And, I was surprised to find I did not...
  11. D

The Canon EOS RP shipments begin on Wednesday

I have a 6D (not v2) and also have an SL2 as a lightweight kit. I see the RP as a full frame SL2 which may replace both cameras for me (I'd keep the 6D as a second body). I've not seen this mentioned anywhere, but the RP/SL2 size and weight are pretty close. Compared to the SL2, the RP height...
  12. D

Is the EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II Still Being Announced This Month?

My 70-200 f4 (bought fall 2010) is not a great copy. It's merely OK on crop and pretty good on my 6D, but not amazing. So, I'm excited to see this new version - if it has improved sharpness.