Search results

1. N

Patent: Multiple small RF prime lens optical formulas

Would be wonderful to have further options with some pancake lenses...
  2. N

Industry News: Hasselblad announces the X1D II 50C medium format camera, and the XCD 35-75 zoom lens

Very much agree with your first two lines. As for the 80mm f/1.9, remember that after converting to its 35mm FF equivalent, it would be a 63mm f/1.5 lens. Compared to a competing Nikon, Canon or Sony lens, I don't know if a Hasselblad or Leica lens would offer better MTF results, higher quality...
  3. N

Adobe updates Lightroom Classic, adds a new texture slider and new Canon camera & lens support

Asides from the licensing discussion, can anyone tell whether the texture slider is pretty much just a simplified version of sharpening for small detail with the radius, detail and masking selector options?
  4. N

Canon EOS-1D X Mark III field testing has begun [CR2]

Faster computations coupled with improved tracking algorithms. It is the only way to do it!
  5. N

Here’s a vague Canon roadmap for 2019 [CR1]

I think it is but it is a more a question of processing speed. Currently, the face tracking and eye tracking is limited to 'close' range on the R and RP. To me, this indicates that the processor is likely not able to 'look' for faces and eyes everywhere on the sensor. Instead, the computational...
  6. N

Canon releases Digital Photo Professional Express for iOS

If what you say is true, that would be fantastic. Still, I seem not to be able to transfer CR2 files from my camera via the iOS/Android app. I wonder whether this limitation is camera-firmware based or it's app-related and just requires a line of code to be changed.
  7. N

Is the Canon EOS 5DS series to be replaced by a mirrorless camera? [CR1]

I think this pretty much says it all: new sensor design REQUIRED.
  8. N

Is the Canon EOS 5DS series to be replaced by a mirrorless camera? [CR1]

If they really had been embarrassed, they could have reduced the price. Or maybe they will after half a year of sales - just long enough to squeeze the early adopters?
  9. N

Canon releases Digital Photo Professional Express for iOS

And to add insult to injury, the software doesn't really seem to be fully JPG compatible. Canon being as lazy as possible in supporting older equipment, thereby forcing users once again to upgrade to newer hardware? Typical.... I have no idea if it is technically feasible, but perhaps if...
  10. N

First look: Canon RF 50mm f/1.2L USM Image Quality

Wait I don't quite understand - are you saying that EF lenses shift focus when at different apertures? That would be the first I have ever heard of that but I am always open to learn something new about lens design...
  11. N

First look: Canon RF 50mm f/1.2L USM Image Quality

Just to jump in for a moment, I had thought that the other two big whites due for the refresh were the 300 f/2.8 and the 500 f/4. As per the rumors posted here, the 400 and the 600 would come out slightly earlier than the other two. But I believe you are right that there won't be ANY additional...
  12. N

Preorder: You can now preorder the Canon EOS R system and other new Canon gear

In Switzerland, I am seeing the EOS R + EF EOS R Adapter + 24-105 F4 for a total of 3730 USD.
  13. N

Canon Launches New Flagship XF705 Professional Camcorder Featuring 4K Video Recording at 60P/4:2:2/10-Bit

I think it is important to note that the sensor size is 1inch and that the resolution is pretty much exactly 4K which allows for the 1:1 readout which currently results in the crop in the 5Dmk4 and R bodies. If Canon released the R with an 8MP sensor, I doubt stills photographers would be happy...
  14. N

Preorder: You can now preorder the Canon EOS R system and other new Canon gear

I really don't understand how Canon thinks that it is great to have the option to put the ND and CP filters on EF lenses via the adapter yet this isn't possible with the R mount... I highly doubt that a future R mount camera will allow for internal CP and ND filters. Or perhaps there will be...
  15. N

Interview: Talking with Canon about the EOS R system and its future

What is the meaning of the F 2.8L text? The line immediately below my screenshot translates to 'scheduled release.'
  16. N

Functionality being added to the Canon EOS R soon after release with firmware update

Yup, I agree. This may also be because a Canon shooters are a bit of a different demographic than those of Fuji. But I have to say, only good can come from following Fuji’s example of continually adding functionality and improving the software for their cameras. iPhones receive updates every...
  17. N

Patent: Canon RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS & RF 24-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM

Fully agree with your point. However, the newest EF lenses (400 and 600) seem to have all the benefits of the RF mount but inside the EF package. I’d imagine that it was built for RF from the ground up but adapted for EF. Two hints that seem to show this to me are that the focus rings are not...
  18. N

Functionality being added to the Canon EOS R soon after release with firmware update

I wonder whether one of the additional video features might be to move ‘where’ the crop box is located. If one were to move this before or even during shooting, this would be interesting for creating smooth pans without additional hardware.
  19. N

What lenses are coming next for the Canon RF mount?

If I remember correctly, the 300/2.8 and 500/4 are scheduled for EF release soon. Not sure about the 300/4. I guess it’s in the same bucket as the 400/5.6
  20. N

What does RF stand for?

Good ideas. I tried asking here as well: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4316719#forum-post-61610423