Search results

1. knight427

Canon will bring an RF 400mm f/4 DO IS USM to the lineup in 2024

These are the comparisons I was thinking about. The 200-800 at $1900 is going to be tough to beat for those of us who imagine using a 400+tc. I think the value proposition might only make sense for those who want to shoot at 400mm. This gets you there at a light weight sacrificing one stop of...
  2. knight427

Help with photographing a painting

A fried had asked me to photograph and old painting for sentimental reasons. Her mom passed away and more than one of the children desire to hang it in their own home. I’m an amateur and would like to do a good job, but this doesn’t need to be museum quality work. I have an R6 and am...
  3. knight427

Is Canon bringing us linear focus motors in the future? Latest patent shows they’re working on it.

I've been wondering what the second generation of RF lenses might bring to the table. If it's mostly this, I'll be quite happy to stick to building my kit around the current generation lenses. The biggest advantage to mark II RF lenses will likely be price completiveness between the first gen RF...
  4. knight427

Small format printer for event

I managed to find several printers intended for this sort of purpose. Here is a link in case anyone else is interested. I'm currently evaluating the DNP QW410 and the Fuji ASK-300.
  5. knight427

Small format printer for event

I take photos for a large school event as a volunteer. This next year they hope to print and sell my photos as a fund raiser. I’m 100% fine with this. The intent is to print a small photo and sell them for like $5 each. I’m not partial to any brand or particular size, but it should be no larger...
  6. knight427

Sigma working on APS-C 50-140 f/2.8 and an external zoom full frame 70-200 f/2.8

The recent announcement of the Nikon 180-600 made me think of FL rounding. If there is 5% error allowed for rounding (number I made up out of nothing), one could market a 189-572 as a 180-600 or a 191-572 as the 200-600. It's all silly as I doubt I could tell any difference between 180 and 200...
  7. knight427

Sigma working on APS-C 50-140 f/2.8 and an external zoom full frame 70-200 f/2.8

We all have our priorities. I absolutely LOVE the compact design of the RF 70-200 f/2.8. I probably would have settled for the f/4 version if not for the ability to squeeze my R6 and this lens into a small bag for taking action shots of my children doing dance and show choir. When I need more...
  8. knight427

Are 400mp stills coming to the Canon EOS R5?

I will continue to hope Canon releases a star tracking update. Dreaming more, they could package that with a 30x digital zoom, plus a program option where I could preselect a low ISO, long shutter, fixed sensor shot with a tracked star shot using separate settings and focus. The audience for...
  9. knight427

Canon EOS R8 specifications

The R had terribly slow fps, much slower than the processor of that time should support (I don’t remember what it was, just that it was even slower than my 6D). I assume this meant it was limited by the sensor. I’m just guessing but I really doubt an R sensor could support 40 fps. If it can, the...
  10. knight427

I get it. But for me, photography is a hobby and I shoot only what I want, when I want. Nobody made me spray 7k frames in one evening. My kids were involved in this event so I was excited to give other parents some great photos along the way. This event is the primary fundraiser to help support...
  11. knight427

I get that, in fact I write test standards with other experts in my industry (not photography). I find it frustrating b/c we make sure our test standards provide BOTH a fair A/B direct comparison AND data that is useful for real world application. From my perspective, CIPA wrote a bad standard...
  12. knight427

7000 isn't just a lot, it is way too many.! I got trigger happy with 20 fps e-shutter. There were new groups to shoot every 30 min and I shot each group w/o stopping to process. I was up until 4am to get the photos posted and be ready for the next day with 2 hours sleep. I changed my whole...
  13. knight427

Canon put arguably the world's best AF system in a FF camera that shoots 40 fps for $1500. I can understand that those things maybe aren't your top priorities, but calling back to the dark days of the real Canon cripple hammer over these specs is absolutely ridiculous.
  14. knight427

There is a lot of consensus in this thread. For those interested in this camera independent of anything else, the smaller battery is either non-issue or part of the benefit to make the camera smaller. For the multi-camera customers, the battery sharing issue is more important. Interesting that...
  15. knight427

I did an event recently with my R6 (LP-E6NH) where I shot just over 7,000 frames in about 6 hours and had 50% of my battery left. I'm not sure CIPA is relevant to anything. Perhaps it's proportionally correct, but it's so far off from reality even that seems unlikely.
  16. knight427

As an R6 owner, the R6mk2 is tempting but not worth the cost of upgrading. Having the option of an R6mk2 w/o IBIS at a lower price is a good thought, but with no built in viewfinder and a different battery type I think that ruins it for me. Then again, I have holes in my RF lens lineup that...
  17. knight427

Canon will soon announce the Canon EOS R8 and Canon EOS R50 along with two new kit lenses

I can't imagine spending $1700 on a first FF camera and having such pathetic limitations from the kit lens. I can see knowledgeable photographers wanting the R8 for lots of different reasons, but the kit is going to be sold to newbies and create massive disappointments. The R8 kit should be...
  18. knight427

Canon to announce RF 24-50mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM this month

What’s not nifty about the RF 50 f/1.8?