Search results

1. J

Canon RF 200-500mm f/4L IS USM confirmed, likely in Q4 [CR3]

I will definitely buy this lens as soon as I can. I have the RF 100-500mm f/7.1 now and it works well for me. But have a faster lens would help me a lot with my wildlife photos and give me more teleconverter options. I like the idea of using a 1.4x teleconverter and having a 700mm f/5.6, and...
  2. J

Canon will soon announce the RF 600mm f/4L IS USM, RF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM and RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro

Oh yes, I do really enjoy using my 65mm macro for super high magnification. I hope they offer it in the RF mount too. Thankfully, due to the 180mm macro I did so well with, I no longer have to worry about affording it. That takes the stress out of deciding what to buy.
  3. J

Canon will soon announce the RF 600mm f/4L IS USM, RF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM and RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro

I am not surprised the 100mm macro is being announced, but I would really prefer a longer macro in the 200mm range. While the 100mm macro is fine for studio work where you can control the background, the old 180mm macro was far superior to the outdoor nature photography I did and still use it...
  4. J

Does a firmware update require len/camera to be AF microadjusted again

I heard from Rudy Winston, the tech guy at Canon. Here is his opinion on a firmware update affecting AF microadjustment in some cases, they may CANCEL a previously-input AF Microadjustment (return it to zero), but otherwise, as far as I know, a typical firmware upgrade won’t alter the AF...
  5. J

Just wondering if a firmware upgrade my change some aspect of the autofocus mechanism.
  6. J

I have been doing AF microadjusting with both my Canon 5D Mark IV and 1DX II for quite some time. I even share an article with my clients about it. One client asked me today if upgrading the Firmware requires AF microadjusting again. I suspect it does, but not completely sure. Can any of you...
  7. J

Results of my new Canon 600mm f/4 III with the 1.4x III converter to make it 840mm

I agree the lenses are no problem to move around with. Though I am a senior citizen now, I still have no trouble tossing bales of hay around, and the weight of photo gear is nothing in comparison.
  8. J

Results of my new Canon 600mm f/4 III with the 1.4x III converter to make it 840mm

Here are a few more I did recently from a floating blind with the 600mm and 1.4x
  9. J

A sandhill crane made with the 600mm III and the 1.4x converter. I have used it a ton now, and the results of the combo wonderful. Though, I also have the Canon 800mm, I prefer to shoot with the 600 and 1.4x
  10. J

I don't find it to be useful. By the way, I have seen wood ducks in captivity and I can't see any detail in the white area around the eyes then either.
  11. J

I have never used the previous 600mm versions, so I can't compare them. I do know the 600mm III is lighter and I wonder if it focuses closer. I tend to upgrade whenever I can as I like the latest gear.
  12. J

Wildflower Photos

A few wildflowers images from the Smoky Mountains. All are shot with a Canon 180mm macro and the Canon 5D Mark IV using live view to focus manually, exposure set manually using the live RGB histogram and adjusted to produce the first blinkies, and tripping the shutter by using the Touch...
  13. J

So the 7D Mark III isn't out yet. I haven't look at crop bodies for quite some time, just heard it mentioned. I think I will stay with what I have for now, as soon wildflowers will be blooming and that takes up a lot of my time, and then two consecutive months of photo workshops to run. It...
  14. J

Here is a link for Steve's video. He is a Nikon shooter, but the ideas should work for Canon too.
  15. J

I hope to get to test the 2x teleconverter soon. I am wondering the best way to get more reach, especially for small birds like warblers and sparrows. If I want a 1200mm, do I use the 2x on my 600mm, or would I be better off to use a 7D Mark II or III with the 1.6x crop, a 1.4x converter, and...
  16. J

I expect to lose some sharpness by adding any extra glass to the optical path. There is a trade-off always, but I wonder if the advantage of a longer lens for some subjects is worth the slight loss of sharpness? When I have a workshop client attend one of my workshops, and they have the 2x...
  17. J

I expected good results, but not as good as I was getting. After avoiding teleconverters for so long, I now am thrilled to be able to use the latest lenses with the latest converters. I would like to test it with the 2x as well, but don't wish to buy it unless I know the results are acceptable.
  18. J

I spent two full days shooting some 4,000 images with my Canon 1DX Mark II and my new Canon 600mm f/4 lens with the new 1.4x teleconverter attached most of the time. Both are the latest Canon models. Before doing any photography, I first tested the lens by itself for focus accuracy and then with...
  19. J

After some time what is the field report of EF100-400 Mk II?

The new lens is far better than the old version. I really like it and use it often. I did have to AF microadjust it with my Canon 5D Mark IV to a minus 9, and then I got the sharpness I was hoping for!