Search results

1. S

Deal: Canon EOS 5DS body $1305 (Reg $3499)

Thank you. It is temping to see a price that is 60% plus lower than retail, but not at the cost of buying problems.
  2. S

Deal: Canon EOS 5DS body $1305 (Reg $3499)

I'd like to hear why you think this. Any personal experience?
  3. S

An APS-C sensor equipped EOS R camera mentioned again [CR1]

I don't see Canon doing an EOS 'RS' camera in which they fit an APS-C sensor into a full-size body. The savings on sensor manufacturing, compared to all the other costs of building, shipping and marketing such a camera, are modest -- you might be able to to an RS for $100 cheaper than an RP. Is...
  4. S

Lots of New mirrorless and DSLR cameras in the pipeline

Of course; we've all seen that. New RF lens: lighter, smaller, ?? better optics. If Canon wants to signal that the R series is for demanding pros, they need the glass that serious pros will want to use. See the new 50 f/1.2 as an example. Pros are smart -- and cheap! :-) They don't buy new...
  5. S

So how does the 1Dx2 manage? You have a sensor, AF mechanism and shutter that does 20 FPS. One could (in theory) move that into the R series. Yes, I know, lots of engineering, but to say that it couldn't be done is wrong -- it can't be done with the 30 MB sensor they have in the R right now, but...
  6. S

There is one hard-stop here: if Canon wants the R series to be taken seriously, they need a 1DX2 equivalent before the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games. That is a showcase not just for the athletes but also for the photographers; Nikon, Canon and Sony all out-do themselves for the pro community. And...
  7. S

Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R system

People who complain that the 'R' is just a mirrorless 6Dm2 miss the point -- that's exactly right. Canon is starting in the middle. When Apple transitioned from PowerPC to Intel, they started at the lower end and moved up. The market supported that, and they were able to complete their...
  8. S

Opinion: Canon is causing its own problems with the RF mount

A different thought: perhaps what Canon is signaling is that the APS-C format is being re-situated for consumers ONLY. Consider why APS-C came about -- originally for film, it was a way to have a smaller negative with cheaper film and processing. When digital came along, sensors were really...
  9. S

Here’s the full list of gear Canon will announce on September 5

The 32mm f/1.4 M lens is a big tell for me. I personally haven't used the M series cameras and frankly thought of them as 'low-end' or 'consumer' cameras. Yes, same APS-C as my 80D :-) But apparently Canon sells a whole lot of them and they're very popular overseas. But I now can see an...
  10. S

A hypothesis concerning the RF mount

Three reasons: One: flange distance, that is, the distance from the back end of the lens to the sensor. For the EF lens that is 46mm. That allows the lens to clear the mirror on a DSLR. Importantly, that's the distance that the throw of light from the lens focuses -- on the sensor, where it...