Search results

1. V

New firmware coming for the Canon EOS R [CR1]

Loving Canon's attitude towards firmware with their FF mirrorless line so far. I do wonder how long they'll keep pushing updates for the EOS R after their Pro camera comes out, though.
  2. V

Full frame mirrorless market share: Canon already has 22% of the market in Japan

Yeah. This article is super misleading. Canon doesn't have 22% of the market. The EOS R made up 22% of FF mirrorless camera sales for the month of October. The article here at Canon Rumors makes it seem like 22% of all FF cameras ever sold in Japan now belong to Canon after the EOS R launch.
  3. V

EOS R first impressions - post your hands-on impressions here

I can only get the dial to change exposure comp when half pressing the shutter button. There's no option to customize this functionality, as far as I can tell. And the dial customization options in the menu only seems to let you change what it does in M mode. It's kinda odd and a little unclear.
  4. V

I'll have to take another look. But I could have sworn it wasn't an option.
  5. V

How are you setting up your EOS R

I haven't changed it from the default yet. But will likely play with it more next time I shoot. The default settings aren't terrible, but there is a noticeable lag.
  6. V

How are you setting up your EOS R

I did all my initial setup already. I'm still trying to decide exactly how to set up all the dials and such. Ideally, I'd love to have the control ring do aperture control, the top wheel do shutter speed, the Fn bar do ISO, and the dial around the Mode button do exposure comp. But Canon won't...
  7. V

So I finally got my lens adapter and am now able to adapt my EF lenses. I shot a few test shots last night and plan to take the camera out today after work to really get a feel for it. But so far I'm loving it. Just some minor nitpicks I have with it. The camera is super customizable (more than...
  8. V

Another Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L IS mention [CR2]

Man. This lens would really tempt me to upgrade from my 24-70 f2.8L II. The question then becomes do I go for RF or EF mount? Would love a new native RF lens, but then it's not compatible with my backup 80D. And I'd likely want to sell my current Mk II EF version to fund this new one. Hard choice.
  9. V

The Canon EOS R will begin shipping to customers on October 9, 2018, if not sooner

Looks like Adorama doesn't have any in stock currently. Expecting more in their warehouse in a few days. So looks like I'm out of luck. Will have to stop in at Best Buy locally on the 15th to pick one up if my Amazon order doesn't ship by then.
  10. V

The Canon EOS R will begin shipping to customers on October 9, 2018, if not sooner

My R came in yesterday. I LOVE how this camera feels in the hand. The grip and the material it's made of are incredible. Way better than the 80D I upgraded from. And the reviews/previews weren't kidding when they said there's a ton of customization on this thing. You can change the function of...
  11. V

My Amazon order still says it's coming Oct 12th. Wonder if it'll come earlier. Still no date for my EF-RF adapter though...
  12. V

Functionality being added to the Canon EOS R soon after release with firmware update

I don't have a link, but I seem to recall reading that the firmware upgrade wasn't coming until early 2019.
  13. V

Is there an EOS R series camera with an APS-C sensor coming? [CR1]

I'm surprised but also not surprised. It always looked like EF-M and the M line of cameras was thrown out there without a ton of forethought. I didn't think they'd be moving to replace them with an RF APS-C camera so soon (especially after announcing a new EF-M lens recently) but it makes sense...
  14. V

Review: Canon EOS R by Peter McKinnon

Will check out the video when I've got audio. But yeah...I agree. The more I see about the R, the more I like it, too. Not sure I'll use the polarizing filter adapter, but I love the control ring feature of the new RF mount. Really happy Canon is finally giving us face and eye tracking AF, too.
  15. V

My bad. That's what I meant to type. Thanks for the correction.
  16. V

He already owns and uses a 5D Mk IV as a backup camera. It's listed in the gear list of every YT video he puts out. I don't think the 120 fps thing is a contradiction. He's saying he's trying to challenge himself to not rely on slowmo b roll so much so he can become a better photographer and...
  17. V

I was surprised by this. I like Peter's work and know he's been mostly using the 1Dx Mk II for a while now as his main camera and a 6D Mk II as his vlogging camera. Didn't think he'd consider switching to a camera that's missing some of the controls the 1DX has with fewer fps in 1080p video...
  18. V

Preorder: You can now preorder the Canon EOS R system and other new Canon gear

Good reminder. I have that set up. Will try to remember to do that. Thanks.
  19. V

Expectations for Pro EOS-R

I'd bet on better sensor, dual SD card slots, and more physical controls on the body. Canon already said the new EOS R will get better Eye AF in a firmware update anyway.
  20. V

If this is the case, I'll buy an R asap. But I need to see verification from a reviewer first probably. Thanks for the info.