Search results

1. B

EF135mm f/2L for sports photography?

That is the exact situation where AF issues with the 85 1.2 show up! Even then, my experience has been that it'll usually nail focus on the second attempt. Too slow for sports? Sure. So I'll just rent the 85 1.4 IS a few times a year when I need the AF speed. When I'm shooting at the track at...
  2. B

It might be related to the body that the 85 1.2 is mounted on, but generally speaking I'd say sports is the only genre that I wouldn't use it for. It's actually an all time favorite of mine for events, even though I mostly use it with a flash and at f/4-f/8 then. I also sometimes use it in the...
  3. B

I already own the 100-400 II and paid about $1600 for it a few years ago. Tens of thousands of photos later, I still feel like that was such a steal! With a 1.4x and 2x extender the 100-400 covers anything between 100 and 800mm. Shooting at a race track means that I'm moving around a lot, so I...
  4. B

@RBS Thanks for those sample pictures and thanks for comparing it with the 70-200 f/2.8! I work with the 70-200 every now and then, so that's a pretty solid reference point. Will definitely rent a 135mm for the next race then and might buy one if I find it useful :)
  5. B

Hey y'all, Once this COVID thing is over, I'll go back to shooting race cars. Depending on the race, the kit that I ususally take is a 5D IV, 16-35 2.8 III, 100-400 II, 1.4x and 2x Extenders, sometimes an 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 II and a 1D X II. I'm thinking about complementing that kit with a 135...
  6. B

Shooting EOS R and 5D IV side by side

I just got my 5D IV back after sending it in to Canon to get the upgrade done. Took them less than a day, which was surprising to me! So now I'll be able to shoot both the R and the 5D IV on C-LOG. Color matching won't be an issue now.
  7. B

Shooting EOS R and 5D IV side by side

I'll be shooting a 4 hour long video in a few weeks and have an EOS R and a 5D mark IV to do that. The EOS R has C-LOG, the 5D mark IV doesn't. I'd love to use the EOS R as the main camera and shoot C-LOG on it. How hard will grading the footage on a C-LOG enabled R and a 5D IV without C-LOG...
  8. B

5D mark IV C-LOG Upgrade

I'd like to get the C-LOG upgrade for my 5D4. Does anybody know whether the camera has to be disassembled for the upgrade? CPS Germany has done a less than perfect job in the past and I'd really like to avoid them disassembling the camera if possible. I'm concerned about weather sealing being...
  9. B

Well, this sucks... Camera and Lens snapped at the mount

I went through a German broker. They'll insure your gear as long as you're a resident of an EU country. Here's the broker's website: https://www.fotoversicherung.com EDIT: Your gear is covered in any country on planet earth except in war zones
  10. B

Well, this sucks... Camera and Lens snapped at the mount

I have a blanket policy for camera gear and related things (covers my laptop, too!). They cover up to 7.5k and I'm currently paying about 250 a year. The great thing is: It doesn't matter what camera or lens I take. As long as it's worth 7.5k or less, it's covered. This also includes gear that I...
  11. B

PowerShot G1X mark III or G7X mark II for underwater photography?

I think the G7X mark II is the best reasonably priced option out there. Unless a G7X mark III comes out until May.
  12. B

Actually for scuba diving, about neutral buoyancy is preferable since you don't keep the camera in your hand for the duration of the entire dive. As suggested by Kit., attaching weights to the rig is a pretty good idea to achieve such neutral buoyancy (or at least close to neutral). If you let...
  13. B

Thank you so much! That really helps a lot! Since I'll just jump in and then get down to 12m asap the housing should self-seal rather quickly. Looks like I won't have to face any problems there. Thanks for the advice on the WW-DC1! Looks like it's rather cheap, too... I'll definitely pick up...
  14. B

Thanks! That sounds good, so far. I’ll only be taking it to 12m, which isn’t that deep, either. The housing is rated for 40m...
  15. B

I'm going scuba diving in May and I'd like to bring a Camera. Does anybody have any experience - especially with the G1X mark III underwater? I think the G1X III is an interesting option for UW photography since it's got the large 80D sensor, although the G7X II's lens is supposedly better...
  16. B

The Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III seems to be getting closer

Makes sense. Thanks! Also no big deal to me since I don’t own a G7 X mark II or the waterproof case. And I’m pretty sure they’ll be incompatible. I think every single waterproof housing ever released by Canon is only compatible with a single camera model.
  17. B

The Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III seems to be getting closer

What do you mean? Does the current G7 X mark II waterproof case leak? I was planning on buying that.
  18. B

EOS Film Body - Compatibility with my Canon lenses

+1 on how well film performs. I think the greatest hurdle today is getting the right scanner. The Nikon Coolscan isn't bad, but is it is a ticking time bomb since Nikon doesn't service them anymore. The only truly great scanner still available new today is the Hasselblad Flextight. Unfortunately...
  19. B

I've used the 24-105 f/4L IS and the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II with the EOS 30. Definitely worked.
  20. B

I've got an EOS 30, 33, and a 1V. I've used all of them with the 24-105 without any problems. The other lenses should work as well. I highly recommend getting the 30 or 33 if you're just starting out in film photography. The film rebels are super cheap but wind the film "reversed". Frame...