Search results

1. G

Samyang appears to have ceased production of RF mount lenses

Is Samyang using the EF protocol and not the RF protocol on RF mount? I imagine they set it up so that the camera thinks it is an EF lens+adapter when really it isn't. Can firmware updates block third party EF protocol on an RF mount? I definitely see them being able to block third party RF...
  2. G

Here is the Canon Cinema EOS C70, to be announced this week.

Yes but it's cropped right? I thought that having the option of a focal reducer would be nice.
  3. G

Here is the Canon Cinema EOS C70, to be announced this week.

Wonder if they will bundle a EF to RF focal reducer with this thing. Or is there another reason why RF lenses would make sense on a super 35 sensor?
  4. G

Teardown: The Canon EOS R5 gets an autopsy

I'm not sure how it works with cameras, but my gaming laptop needs to be repasted at least once every year.
  5. G

Teardown: The Canon EOS R5 gets an autopsy

The author of the article plans to go to court if Canon doesn't do a recall. EOSHD author: "Canon promised us 8k video" Judge: "Did they warn you about the heat limitations in an official press release?" EOSHD author: "Yes and I blogged about it. So I bought one and complained to Canon." Judge...
  6. G

Canon EOS R5 records 4 hours of 4KHQ 30p to an external recorder, with a couple of simple tweaks

My current hypothesis is that CFexpress cards throttle at high temperatures and/or the camera knows to shutdown when the internal temperature might damage or corrupt data on the card. In the 1dx iii which also uses CFexpress, the larger form factor and heat pipes allow for better heat...
  7. G

Canon EOS R5 records 4 hours of 4KHQ 30p to an external recorder, with a couple of simple tweaks

To be fair he did include a blurb about the 4 hours with external. But he wasn't enthusiastic about it and still wants a recall.
  8. G

DPreview updated their review and got a few more minutes with recording to just the SD card at room temperature. What a plot twist.
  9. G

Some people have tried and got slightly longer times than CFexpress. Informal forum posts though
  10. G

My guess is that it might help but you still need the internals of the camera to be completely cool for the new card for maximum recording time.
  11. G

I did a quick search: The prograde CFexpress at b&h says operating temp: 14 to 158°F/ -10 to 70°C And for the sandisk extreme uhs-ii it says the operating temp: -13 to 185°F/ -25 to 85°C Maybe this is why the R6 can record for longer internally?
  12. G

Someone livestreamed in 4kHQ until his batteries drained. Almost 2 hours.
  13. G

If it's the CF cards then maybe instead of putting a fan on the back of the camera someone should make a replacement door with a fan/heat sink attached to it.
  14. G

DPReview: Review of the Canon EOS R5

I think it's fine for most hybrid shooters given that nonHQ 4k30, 1080p and cropped 4k will be almost always available. Especially those that record in 4k but export to 1080p Personally I would just carry around an external monitor if I knew I was gonna shoot 20min+ of video or if I knew I was...
  15. G

Gerald Undone completes exhaustive record time testing on the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

Also 25min of 8k is somewhere around 200GB. That's a $400 CFexpress 256GB card. Edit: I was wrong. With canon's bitrate 25 min of 8k is 488GB. That's a $600 card for 512GB
  16. G

Gerald Undone completes exhaustive record time testing on the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

Unfortunately a lot of people on the internet are reading the "4kHQ and 8K aren't available" as "no video is possible at all".
  17. G

He definitely does camera reviews well but mostly video centric. His reviews of the EOS R highlighted focus peaking and DPAF for smooth video transitions. I think he was also a fan of the m50. But he hasn't reviewed (in my hastily done search) cameras like the m6 or 1dx. So I expect his review...
  18. G

I love Gerald Undone's work but he's not into photography. He pre-ordered 3 of Sony's new A7Siii which is an amazing 12MP video centric 4k camera that costs $3500. Canon should have just sent R5/R6 to hybrid or photography YouTubers. If the R5 was designed primarily for video they should have...
  19. G

Tilta shows off a cooling module for the Canon EOS R5

Do we know the ambient they were shooting at? I'm a few hours away from CT and it's been 90+ degrees F out here. Maybe long exposure to a hot ambient disabled the intensive video options (but allows the regular 4k)
  20. G

Tilta shows off a cooling module for the Canon EOS R5

Agree. Without a direct connection to the processor this will most likely not be very effective. To get the heat to escape fast you need heat sinks or heat pipes (like the 1dx ii) on the processor as well as a fan. Canon should just make a version of the R5 that ditches the weather sealing and...