Search results

1. B

A Canon camera has shown up for certification

Maybe. We won't know till we get the new batteries. We have some interesting batteries in the technology I deal with for my day job. Some of it works fine together, some not at all, some... as you say, ok but not great. Can is liable to do something like put a thick projection on the...
  2. B

A Canon camera has shown up for certification

Maybe not the current chargers... but new chargers should be backward compatible. That is, given the same form factor, the higher density, perhaps different chemistry battery may have different charging requirements. Some of those really dense cells need pulsed charging and certain charge duty...
  3. B

Canon will release four new full-frame cameras in 2020 [CR2]

Kind of thought those 100 million would be EF-S users, not EF..... the vast masses who are shooting crop bodies with kit lenses... yes those lenses do fit on the adapter, and you get basically... a crop camera with full frame potential. So its perhaps an interesting twist, but I'm not totally...
  4. B

Canon will release four new full-frame cameras in 2020 [CR2]

Think outside the box. Think .... yet another lens line for a cheaper camera. The RF-s line, analogous to the EF-s line. And a crop sensor more or less "RP" type of camera. I would not put that past Canon one bit. Why bring out a bargain basement body when almost all you have are $2k+...
  5. B

Major Canon announcements in February and May of this year [CR2]

Bah at more megapixels. I'm with (the former) Fake Chuck. Give me fewer great pixels, noise and banding free. And if Canon is thinking about an even more entry level R type camera, they're off their game, unless they have a really nice, and decent, kit lens that's affordable to go with it.
  6. B

Canon EOS R firmware 1.4.0 now available for download

I'm sure there are others, but its nice to see commentary from someone who actually shoots in real life situations, works with what the camera will do, understands what it wont, and doesn't play the numbers game whining about things. Biketoberfest coming up. My time to shine again.... :giggle:
  7. B

Canon EOS R firmware 1.4.0 now available for download

Try continuous eye tracking on a TV screen image... aww hell... the camera just eats it up and asks for more. In comparison to previous firmware, this is impressive.
  8. B

EOS R Tips and Tricks

The control bar - I've got mine doing ISO, which I have set to full stops, not third stops. I've set the "lock" button to not effect any of the top buttons, so it only effects the bar. I can unlock the bar, tap up (not slide) or tap down to change the ISO, and relock. I can do that without...
  9. B

EOS R AF with 1.2.0 firmware

I had an uncle that loved sausage so much that every time he passed a butcher shop he took a turn for the wurst....
  10. B

EOS R buying decision

My birding is mostly backyard stuff, just for fun these days. Used to be down at Eco Pond at Flamingo (Everglades) and other assorted Florida locales. But right now, I'm using continuous (servo) focus mode for birds, and tend to adjust the spot according to the rest of the image to get...
  11. B

EOS R buying decision

Cant mention about you specific lens with the R, but I find on my 300/4LIS with or without 1.4x the speed of focus is about the same in bright light, and better in lower light. Also love the brightness of the R screen when light is poor. Be advised there is a bit of a learning curve which not...
  12. B

Eco mode + power saving featured

I think you'll find that ECO mode will deactivate the EVF, after 1 minute, and that the refresh of the EVF after 1 minute will take about 2 to 3 seconds. I'm not passing judgment on this feature, but will note that if you need the EVF to remain on, when shooting a group event, or other...
  13. B

Randomly moving focus point

I see no compromises. Much prefer the R shooting to the 5Dii/iii/iv There are many ways to modify, rearrange, customize the controls on the R.... creativity is key.
  14. B

Randomly moving focus point

I usually use the EVF, don't use the touch screen for moving the focus point. But... sometimes, when magnifying an image for review, I accidentally hit the focus button... and weirdness follows. I've boiled it down to my bad, but I can see it happening even more when using the touch screeen
  15. B

Interesting what's happened since I got an RP.....

Alone, the EVF cannot be used to judge exposure, but... (at least on the R) you can get the histogram, and make informed judgement calls when going + or - over ride. You can get a rough approximation of monochrome contrast rendition with the EVF. Also can a pretty darn good idea of the light's...
  16. B

If you go R/RF?

And the ears and nose are still oof on most of those. And, what works if not well, then at least ok for female subject matter, does not work all that well for male. The online calculators say 1.4 inches total DoF at 6.5 feet with an 85mm lens, at f/1.2 covering a 24x36 format. Seems smaller...
  17. B

If you go R/RF?

A 100mm f/1.2 would probably be a good portrait lens, but in practical photography, shooting at f/1.2 is a tricky item with an 85mm lens, and the extra focal length would make it a bit harder. I don't mean just obtaining focus, but getting things all "just so" to make the image look pleasing...
  18. B

If you go R/RF?

I'd personally like a few SMALL, moderately fast primes. A 100, 50, and 28 would do me well, if they were small.
  19. B

If you go R/RF?

Either did I.... and I almost went back and looked! No worries! That particular Hoya filter was purchased with the 300mm f/4.0 USM non-IS, when I bought the lens from B&H back in ..... a long time ago... 1994 or 1995, so its about 25 years old. Was never an issue on the EOS-5 or EOS-3 film...
  20. B

If you go R/RF?

The filter was a Hoya HMC Sky-1B. Thought I said that in the previous posts. I don't think the "type" of filter is a determining factor in this case. I think what is going on is some sort of micro striations in the glass, unable to be seen with the eye, but which throw the dual pixel focus...