Search results

1. J

Consumer RF mount zoom lenses coming in the first half of 2020 [CR2]

TBH, I'm feeling a bit stuck in the middle on the RF lenses. I bought the R with the kit RF 24-105L almost a year ago, seemed like the obvious lens to start with. I added the RF 35 as a small light walk around and splurged on the RF 70-200, well my wife did, for Christmas ( thanks honey)...
  2. J

Need help, buying Cannon EOS R: Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM v. RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM

When I bought the R earlier this year I picked it up as a kit with the RF 24-105 even though I already had the EF version. I love that focal length for an all in one lens, capable of handling an assortment of photo situations, much like you've described for your plans. I have the EF 16-35 f4...
  3. J

Need a pancake? Save big on Canon’s stubby lenses

My personal evolution on the pancake lenses - I've always had a pocket sized walk around, going back over 40 years. Since going digital I was using the Canon G series. I saw the ef-s 24 and the EF 40 and decided to use a Rebel T5I with those 2 lenses a few years back. They were an easy carry...
  4. J

Need a pancake? Save big on Canon’s stubby lenses

Why not just go for the RF 35? No mount adapter needed, faster, semi-macro and IS.
  5. J

SIGMA to address their RF mount plans in early 2020 [CR2]

I see someone else already replied that you are correct. TBH, I didn't know that, I simply went ahead and undid anything I had done before using them. Learned something new.
  6. J

SIGMA to address their RF mount plans in early 2020 [CR2]

I have the Sigma Art 50, 85 and 135. Had screwed around with the Sigma USB dock when using them on the 6DII, but set everything back to zeroes to use them adapted on the R, and I haven't touched the dock since. They all focus fast and spot on. The 85 Art with the R's updated eye focusing is...
  7. J

Two new EOS M cameras rumoured to be coming in 2020 [CR1]

I skipped the 7DII as well and still have my 7D that is rarely used these days. I've been using the M5 and R for literally all my shooting but I would love a ML 7D type body. Hard to imagine it coming from the M line, more than likely an R.
  8. J

What’s next from Canon?

Quick note regarding the professional status of the EOS R. Obviously everyone on this site is a Canon user and is more than likely familiar with the Canon Explorers of Light crew. I noticed Rick Sammon is pictured holding the R in the ad for his Rainforest Photography class in Costa Rica...
  9. J

Canon’s roadmap for 2019, included an EOS R camera that no one is expecting? [CR2]

Sorry that my comment came across the way it apparently did. I wasn't criticizing your suggestion of a left handed camera as being a "head scratcher" I meant it more as even though I'm left handed, I've been using a camera with my right hand for so long I'm not sure I could adjust to a lefty...
  10. J

Rest well Canon EOS 7D series [CR2]

I'm not a pro photographer. Just a retired network operations manager who has been photographing sports and wildlife for decades and wants to see the 90D or even better the EOS R sports camera as soon as possible because I'm impatient and have been waiting for a couple of years.
  11. J

Canon’s roadmap for 2019, included an EOS R camera that no one is expecting? [CR2]

Just my opinion on the EOS R ergonomics. I'm left handed, left eyed, and 6'4". I have no issues with the touch screen focusing. I have yet to refocus with my nose. I have yet to accidentally turn on the function bar with my larger than average hands. I love the customability of the...
  12. J

I picked up an M5 last year as a walk around and got used to touch screen focusing pretty quickly. The R is a even easier because of the larger size.
  13. J

As a left handed, left eyed Canon SLR user since '75 I don't think I could adapt to a left handed camera.
  14. J

Rest well Canon EOS 7D series [CR2]

So if I'm keeping score correctly, the replacement alternatives to a 7DIII will be the 90D, the possibly APS-C R version mentioned here?, and a sports oriented prosumer FF R to be released in 2020? It'll be interesting if all 3 become reality and available. Probably looking at a $2k price...
  15. J

Three new RF prime lenses coming in early 2020 [CR2]

Thanks to the instant rebate I recently added the R with the RF 24-105. The R joins my 6D/7D combo and M5 walk around. That's 4 bodies and 3 different mounts. The one constant thanks to adapters is using my EF lenses. I have several L zooms and 3 Sigma Arts (50, 85, 135). I really like the...
  16. J

Is the EOS 7D Mark II the last in the 7D series? We’re told that it is [CR1]

With all the talk about the 7D line being a dead end I've started using my M5 with the 100-400 II in my backyard. Reason being is the R intrigues me and I just want to see how it feels to go mirrorless with birds and such. The bad- ergonomics are awful, but that's the issue with the M5...
  17. J

Is the EOS 7D Mark II the last in the 7D series? We’re told that it is [CR1]

I've already decided more or less to wait for a FF EOS R with sports and wildlife capabilities to replace my 6D/7D - 2 birds with 1 stone. If there is in fact no 7DIII on the horizon I'm hopeful the R camera I'm waiting for gets here sooner than later.
  18. J

Patent: Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 with apodization filter

I've been using the 50 1.4 in all its' different versions since '75. I did buy the Sigma Art 50 on sale a while back and intended to sell the Canon 50 but decided to keep it for the small size. When using the M5 for my walk around the Canon 50 fits in my jacket pocket with room to spare. I...
  19. J

New mid-level DSLR and EOS M5 Mark II the next ILC’s from Canon? [CR1]

Newbie to this site but have been using Canon since '75. I've been looking to upgrade my 7D/6D combo for over a year. I picked up an M5 last year as a walk around too. I only do photo, not video. Was hoping a 7DIII was on the horizon but now I don't know. On the other hand the EOS R kinda...