Search results

1. BadHorse

Managed Color for Unamanged Software

I have calibrated my monitor and preserve the ICC profile from my R5 and for most things this is great: I get accurate color ignoring uncalibrated devices my pictures look more or less the same everywhere. Everywhere, except a small image-sharing website: Instagram. Perhaps you've heard of it...
  2. BadHorse

Locking Exposure in Manual

I have an aging 70D and I find shooting on Manual particularly tricky when I want to change aperture -- I always fumble counter-rotating the shutter-speed dial to keep my exposure constant. I'm considering upgrade options and wondering if there's a feature of a newer camera that makes this...
  3. BadHorse

Fast Lenses and Mirrorless AF

One of the reasons I love my fast primes is they help my aging 70D focus in poor lighting. Recently it occurred to wonder if this won't help mirrorless bodies at all: SLRs focus wide-open and close the aperture when you take the shot but think mirrorless preview at the set aperture so that you...
  4. BadHorse

Twin Off-Camera Flash?

I am thinking about getting a second off-camera speedlite and I've been trying to figure out if I should get a second 430EX III-RT or pair the one I have with a bigger 600EX II-RT. For the most part my 430 has had enough power -- it's bright enough -- but sometimes it can't keep up if I'm...
  5. BadHorse

Low-Light Autofocus Performance

I was at a wedding with an old 70D and a new 35mm F/1.4L II and noticed when the lights dimmed for dancing I had a real tough time locking focus for stills (I had a Speedlite so the actual shots were properly lit). As I process my results I'm left wondering how modern cameras would handle that...
  6. BadHorse

On-Board Radio Transmitter?

The ST-E3 RT radio transmitter was released 7 years ago and no camera body has been released since with a built-in transmitter. I find this baffling. People have suggested that regional differences make it hard to get approval for the radio frequency bands used but I'm not sure I believe that...