Search results

1. David_E

Canon EOS R5 Mark II sensor resolution likely to stick at 45mp but with new AI features [CR2]

Seriously? For $10 per month you abandoned the world's premiere photo editing and cataloging software? What are you using, GIMP? Or perhaps you're just doing ASCII art on MSDOS? Or perhaps you don't subscribe to electricity at home, either, and you are posting from the local library?
  2. David_E

Canon EOS R5 Mark II sensor resolution likely to stick at 45mp but with new AI features [CR2]

Subscription is a hot-button issue. People who subscribe to mortgages or rent, insurance (car, home, health, life) electricity, gas, water supply, sewage disposal, newspapers, and all sorts of other things without giving it a thought balk at $10 per month for the Adobe Photography Plan...
  3. David_E

Canon EOS R5 Mark II in the hands of the lucky? [CR1]

There is no R5 Mark I. It’s just the R5.
  4. David_E

Patent: Canon is actively developing fast mirror lenses

Bad wrap? Please make that bad “rap.”
  5. David_E

Canon officially announces the RF 24mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM and RF 15-30mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM

Tell me about it! 78 yrs old. Gave away my 5D4 (but kept my 6DII) when I got my R5. About to give away my EF 100-400 zoom. I do mainly macro work at home and in the field with the RF 100mm and the EF 180mm, I'm always looking for a good light macro lens. No more gigantic, expensive lenses for...
  6. David_E

Canon announces the RF 800mm F5.6L IS USM and the RF 1200mm F8L IS USM

$17k for the 800? Probably not the lens for me. My RF 800mm ƒ11 IS STM is quite satisfactory for my minimal requirements for a long telephoto. Here's a photo of a northern flicker, Colaptes auratus, made just yesterday with that lens on an R5. Hand held. Body + lens stabilization are excellent.
  7. David_E

Firmware: Canon releases v1.4.0 for the Canon EOS R5

You install it anyway just to be in the habit of keeping your camera up to date, and get on with your life.
  8. David_E

Exclusive! DPReview confirms what has already been confirmed. The Canon EOS R3 will be 24mp

Amazing how many people here are hung up on pixel count, as if that’s the most important camera spec. That’s just plain puerile. Such a camera needs ruggedness for the field and a resolution sufficient to export sharp jpegs for the web. Also excellent ergonomics to not miss the shot while...
  9. David_E

Review: Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro

I’m not saying it isn’t a problem for some people with some lenses, only that I haven’t experienced the problem. There are, however, myriad things that can go wrong when photographing skittish arthropods in vivo and in situ.
  10. David_E

New Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro features revealed

You are correct, as is @schaudi after you. But you’re quibbling over a technical definition, talking about a distinction without a difference.
  11. David_E

Really? Be honest. I can take it like a man. Is my photo of the sachem skipper highly disappointing? Does it show evidence of a focus problem? I need to know what is wrong with my photos if I am to improve. I would also appreciate hearing about your personal experience with this lens.
  12. David_E

You got that right! This individual had its proboscis in the solo blue flower at bottom center milliseconds before I snapped the shutter. (They coil the proboscis prior to flight to protect it from damage, which would lead to starvation.) Milliseconds after I made the picture, the individual was...
  13. David_E

Great lens on my R5.
  14. David_E

Stock Notice: Canon RF 800mm f/11 IS STM at Adorama

I've bought it more out of curiosity than anything else but I am hitching to try it Hitching? Never mind. I bought mine to use. Butorides virescens, Green Heron. St Michaels, Eastern Shore of Maryland.
  15. David_E

Canon has released a list of RF lenses that they can’t meet the demand for

Kind of like beleaguered Apple, dead and buried how many times?
  16. David_E

I received my RF 100mm ƒ2.8 L Macro IS USM lens from Adorama late this morning, 8 July. I have attached a photo made with the new lens. Hand held in breezy conditions between rain showers. Available light. I did not use the SA ring. i love the way the out-of-focus colors in the background...
  17. David_E

RF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM

Release day! Atalopedes campestris, Sachem Skipper. Conditions were not ideal, with the subject moving in the wind between rain showers. The skipper had just coiled its proboscis after sipping nectar from the light blue flower that is alone at bottom center, among the dark purple. EOS R5. I...
  18. David_E

The Canon EOS R3 will be officially announced in September

I find it best to give my suppliers a blanket pre-order for everything they sell, and sort it out here at home.
  19. David_E

According to an email from Adorama, still warm from its transit through the aether, my RF 100mm macro is packed and labeled and will be out the door this evening, 7 July. I ordered within seconds of the lens being available for ordering. Now, where’s the 180mm macro!?