Search results

1. bbeatty

Where the heck is the RF 35mm f/1.2L?

Amen! Two of my all time favorite lenses are the 35mm f/1.4L II and 85mm 1.4L IS. The fact that I can use on my 5DSR, Fuji GFX 50s II, or R5, for paid portrait work, landscapes, or video work is a remarkable value. I can't imagine dropping $2k+ on a new RF 85mm that would only work on the R5.
  2. bbeatty

Does a 5Ds do anything better than an R5?

I hadn't heard that about the R3 vs. R, that's cool. I believe it too, the new AA filter delivers amazingly clear results. I own both R5 and 5DSR, so naturally the first thing I did was compare the two! I get better results on the R5 95% of the time because of the better technology, but still...
  3. bbeatty

Does a 5Ds do anything better than an R5?

The 5DS/5DSR having ~10% more pixels makes a very small and subtle difference in resolution, but it is offset by the drastically better R5 performance in nearly every other way (IBIS, cleaner high ISO, FPS, autofocus, size, etc). When I compare the two side by side (I regularly use both of...
  4. bbeatty

The Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L IS USM II has been officially discontinued

while agree the R5 is excellent, this is not true. 5DSR still captures more fine detail despite the lower DR
  5. bbeatty

Canon boosts forecasts, printer and camera demand strong

Corp finance is my day job, so I just read through their Q1 release to see if I could add any insights... there definitely is more to the story, I'm sure! While the new R bodies and RF lenses definitely helped the top line revenue, it seems like the biggest reason for the jump in operating...
  6. bbeatty

Patent: Canon RF 85mm f/1.4L USM (IS?)

Same as a lot of the others on here, the 85mm f/1.4 is one of my favorites. I don't think I would change even if an RF version came out because it's so good.
  7. bbeatty

Canon officially discontinues a lot more EF lenses

Exactly. I was fairly fortunate to start getting more into photography as the great RF migration began, so nearly all of my lenses were refurbs or gently used for half off. I can't believe the prices people are paying for the RFs new!
  8. bbeatty

Winter, 2020-2021

Just a few miles up the road, I came across this view of the fog resting in the valley below. Had to pull over for a pano!
  9. bbeatty

Winter, 2020-2021

Thanks!
  10. bbeatty

Winter, 2020-2021

First time seeing freezing fog in Utah. Shot on the R + 100-400 II.
  11. bbeatty

Issues with RF100-500

I can tell based on looking at the water that the bird is dead center in the plane of focus, so it does seem like something might be off with the lens elements. It's definitely unacceptably soft, even for a heavy crop. Was it shot with or without IBIS? Wonder if that is introducing blur somehow.
  12. bbeatty

R5s/R3 High-res Body Wish List (in Light of R5/6)

I'd be extremely happy with something similar to the R with 60+mp, no AA, and a stop improved DR. No high end video, etc. Just pure high res (y)
  13. bbeatty

Canon hit by Maze Ransomware attack, 10TB data allegedly stolen

Same thing happened to Garmin last week. These seem to be happening more and more recently..
  14. bbeatty

RF85 f1.4L IS USM?

Why not just adapt the 85 if it's working so well?
  15. bbeatty

What’s next from Canon in 2020?

Exactly. I went from the 6D2 to the R and all my lenses work better with the adapter than before without. (y)
  16. bbeatty

What’s next from Canon in 2020?

RP is well on its way to 800
  17. bbeatty

Two new EOS R bodies coming in the first half of 2020 [CR3]

Must have been one sturdy tripod!
  18. bbeatty

Patent: Some crazy fast RF mount prime lenses, including an RF 18mm f/1.0L

Hope there's a seat for me too! :unsure:
  19. bbeatty

Just the MTF Charts: 70-200mm f/4 Zoom Lenses

I had the 2.8 and sold it for the f/4 ii and can confirm, the sharpness is unreal. As I do landscapes primarily and have the 135/2 for portraits, the weight savings and improved IQ makes the f/4 a must have over the 2.8 for long hikes and landscape shots! The $ savings is nice too (y)