Search results

1. D

Battery grips, Canon or third party? Use one or don't?

The purchase of my first 7D was was unexpected as a 40D crapped as I was just starting a 3-day job that NEEDED 2 bodies. As an un-budgeted purchase, I skipped the grip at first. A month or so later, I went to buy a grip and was sticker-shocked by the price. Maybe I was wrong, but it seemed like...
  2. D

Tamron 24-70 or Sigma 24-105?

For me, it's a no-brainer in favor of the 24-105. You don't list any real low light situations (Indoor sports, music performances) among your preferred shooting conditions, so I don't think the F2.8 of the 24-70 gets you much. And with portraits, I personally don't think you get a really good...
  3. D

Lens hood no longer sNug.

Re: Lens hood no longer sung Unless you have random strangers walking up to you and jiggling your lens shade, this problem is of consequence only to you and has zero effect on image quality. I owned a 70-200mm f/2.8 IS (Mark nothing) lens for about 7-8 years, and by the time I sold it, the...
  4. D

When will we see a replacement for the 100-400?

This is not the lens you're looking for…
  5. D

Scanner recommendations for digitising prints?

Higher end scanning hardware pays off for scanning film originals (slides, negatives), but for prints, you are likely to get very good to excellent results with about any consumer level flatbed scanner. About any scanner can scan at a minimum of 600dpi. JonAustin in his post chose to italicize...
  6. D

Has anyone tried "scanning" 35mm negs with an SLR?

Good plan. I packed away my film archive by the end of April probably would excavate it again until holiday time. One thing important to know about VueScan that I forgot to mention: The RAW files it puts out are compatible with Lightroom/ACR, but NOT Aperture. That's one thing that started my...
  7. D

Has anyone tried "scanning" 35mm negs with an SLR?

Your post saved me some keystrokes. +1 on everything. I don't have hands on with V750, but have hired out some work to a provider who uses a V700 (essentially the same machine without wet-mount ability), and was very pleased with the quality. And Vuescan is killer. Every hardware provider should...
  8. D

Black & White

Tolusina has the right idea. Just shoot RAW+JPG or color RAW or JPG and convert in post for maximum control. The in-camera black and white can be surprisingly good, but if you want to really take control of how the tones render, you want to start from the full-color original. By blending the...
  9. D

Anyone own both Canon and Nikon

Hmmm… All I'm sure of is I've never seen one on eBay. Are there any electronic contacts on the other side, or is it just a "cold" adapter? The one good thing about my no-name adapter is that it enables focus confirmation (when it works). The lens does focus on infinity, by the way, even...
  10. D

Anyone own both Canon and Nikon

This is different from your use case, but I recently became "bi-cameral" myself. Been switch-hitting for about 8 months. I own a 1980's vintage Tamron Adaptall 300mm f/2.8 lens. For those unfamiliar, the Adaptall series of lenses were sold "mountless" and were purchased with whatever auxiliary...
  11. D

More EOS 7D Mark II Talk [CR1]

That argument gets made a lot, but I don't understand it. This camera will be at most 2nd down from top of the line. I don't see the design being constrained by compatibility with the very lowest tier of Canon lenses. As it stands now, there is not nearly enough distinction between the 7D and...
  12. D

More EOS 7D Mark II Talk [CR1]

I throw this out mainly as target practice for those who seem to gleefully shoot down the idea at every opportunity, but could the larger viewfinder housing be for the larger prism necessary for an APS-H sensor? Of course, this would make the camera a "Successor to the 7D market space" rather...
  13. D

Small container for holding spigots/studs?

I use a "disposable Tupperware" snap lid container for precisely this purpose. It's about a 1 pint rectangular container. Cheap, but pretty sturdy and easily replaceable, though mine is still going strong after more than two years. "GladWare" used to be a prominent brand in this type of product...
  14. D

Creating a sports portfolio

I'm just glad no gear heads around here have punked on you for using a 6D for sports. Obviously a 1D-IV or X or a 5DIII are better suited for sports, but any camera is a "sports camera" if the photographer develops a good enough sense of timing. I'd suggest practicing every chance you get at...
  15. D

Trying to start a Photography Business but surrounded by amateurs!

I was once gainfully employed in a dying industry -- book publishing. After several months of escalating mutual hatred between myself and my employer, they gave up trying to build a paper trail on me and offered me 6 months salary if I would just LEAVE. Having a recent track record of several...
  16. D

How much will I use the 135L if I already have the 70-200 F/2.8 IS II?

I sold my 70-200 in a financial crunch about a year ago. As I bounced back later, I replaced it with an 85mm 1.8 and a 300mm 2.8 (not the 300mm you are probably thinking of, but that's a digression for another thread). So between the two lenses under discussion which one would I buy the next...
  17. D

How do you become so famous that you have assistants to do it all for you?

Um…yes. Schlepping gear. I admit the last time I worked a pro game, I was still shooting film. In recent years I shoot sports almost entirely for colleges and conferences, but in my newspaper days, it was not uncommon to see at least one photographer at the NFL game who was equipped head and...
  18. D

removing the tripod collar on the 70-200 f 2.8 II IS lens

And by all means use *your* equipment as *you* see fit. But since the center of gravity of a lens/body unit is a measurable attribute and not an imagined one, I don't think "theoretical irrelevancy" is an applicable term here. Also, while photography is not currently my sole source of income as...
  19. D

Well, there's also that the tripod collar mounts the lens much closer to its center of gravity, which will improve stability no matter how good your tripod/head/clamp rig is, in addition to relieving excessive stress on the camera tripod mount. Oh, and it also allows the lens to pivot much...
  20. D

Agree 100%. It's a great palm rest to raise the lens just off the palm of your hand for fingertip control of zoom and focus. And, while I would not necessarily call this a best practice, you can also use it to hang the lens from your jeans pocket if you have it off the camera temporarily but...