Search results

1. V

How do shutters fail?

Thanks everyone, I will send it to Canon as you suggested.
  2. V

How do shutters fail?

I've never had a camera for long enough for its shutter to go beyond its life expectancy - until recently. I've been using two 5Dm4 for weddings for more than two years now; I didn't check their shutter count but I estimate they are probably near or beyond 150,000. Recently, one of them...
  3. V

Overpowering bright sun

Sounds good, but I am shooting couples. How well a beauty dish works with more than one person in your experience? You are basically saying that a B1 with softbox and HSS is usually just enough for the conditions, I think. That's great, that clearly answers my question. Thank you.
  4. V

Overpowering bright sun

Thanks anthonyd, your picture showed me clearly the bottom limit of the power I will need. The subject is a little dimmer that I would prefer, the background is a little lighter then I am aiming for, and your modifier/distance gives more light on the subject then mine will. And your time of the...
  5. V

Overpowering bright sun

Thanks Besisika. The distance is not a problem, I always try to position my assistant as close as possible to the subject (to soften the light). But I almost always use a softbox, so that's minus 1 stop to power. Jinbei Discovery DC-1200 is actually one of the options I am considering, and...
  6. V

Overpowering bright sun

Thanks Pookie, I came to the same conclusion after looking at a monoblock with a battery in a shop. My assistant is my wife, and she definitely isn't keen on carrying a 3kg light with a softbox on a pole. Light head with a separate battery in a backpack sounds like a much better option.
  7. V

Overpowering bright sun

Thanks ajfotofilmagem. The scenario I am talking about is a wedding, I only have one assistant who carries the light, so scrim is impossible/impractical in this situation. But I live in England, so placing people facing away from the sun is not a problem and it's what I normally do with my...
  8. V

Overpowering bright sun

Thank you Viggo. Photos of your daughter is exactly the look I am after. So if I understood you correctly: B1, which is 500 Ws, is enough for the task. Is it with or without HSS? Is it with hardlight reflector, beauty dish or sofbox? I am just trying to understand what kind of power I will need...
  9. V

Overpowering bright sun

Gentlemen, I would be really interested to hear your thoughts/suggestions for the following scenario: summer, clear sky, midday - as bright as it gets outdoors. The subject is two people standing close together (wedding couple portraits). I can rely on an assistant who will carry the head and...
  10. V

70-200 2.8 + 2x teleconverter vs 100-400

Probably none :) I agree with you. The flexibility argument hardly applies here; I am very unlikely to use the extender for anything other than 70-200. Which lives me with the alternative: 1/3 the price VS slightly higher quality and much faster autofocus. In case of the next generation of...
  11. V

I am planning to buy the IS Mk2 version - that, I suppose, means that the image quality will be almost the same as with the 100-400. The "it will only work with f/2.8 lenses and retain AF unless you have a 1 series body up thru the 1D MK IV" can be taken out of equation, because the same...
  12. V

Given that I've definetely decided to buy the Canon 70-200 2.8, what would be the reason for me NOT to buy a 2x teleconverter to cover the up to 400mm range instead of Canon 100-400, apart from the slight aperture advantage at shorter range?