Search results

1. D

Canon officially announces the EOS M200

Personally, I wish Canon would package the M200 with the much smaller and also cheaper EF-M 22 f/2 for say $499. Not a big fan of f/3.5-6.3 lenses...
  2. D

Industry News: Sony Introduces the High-resolution A7R IV with World’s First 61.0 MP Back-illuminated, Full-frame Image Sensor

I use both Canon and Sony, but what I really want to know is if Sony ever shaped up their customer service fails. Sony was (is?) notorious in their lack of customer support, horrific turnaround time for repairs, denial of known Sony equipments faults, etc.
  3. D

Industry News: Sony Introduces the High-resolution A7R IV with World’s First 61.0 MP Back-illuminated, Full-frame Image Sensor

Kai already has hands-on video of Sony A7R IV. I must say, 61 MP blasting away at 10 FPS with accurate AF has my full attention...with IBIS...with 15 stops DR...
  4. D

Review Laowa 100mm Ultra Macro

Here's my dream: Canon announces new 100 mm f/2.8 Macro lens with 2X Macro, Image stabilization, and built-in LED macro lights. Laowa 100 does seem like a nice 2X macro lens to play around with, with more practical uses than my Canon MP-E 65mm.
  5. D

EF-EOS R Adapters... Accurate Pricing?

The basic one was listed at $99 yesterday when I looked at them, not $399.
  6. D

Nikon Mirrorless: Photographers give their first impressions on the new mirrorless system

DPReview Video Already Out Nikon Z 7 Hands-On First Impressions
  7. D

Venus Optics officially announces the Laowa 24mm f/14 2x Macro Probe lens, a weird but revolutionary lens for macro videography

I didn't know Chris Nichols joined DPR. I have always found his reviews helpful from CamerastoreTV.
  8. D

Canon 50 1.2 Full Review

I do love how these "soft, outdated" lenses capture the soul of models better than modern biting-sharp lenses.. IMG_0744 by drjlo1, on Flickr
  9. D

Venus Optics officially announces the Laowa 24mm f/14 2x Macro Probe lens, a weird but revolutionary lens for macro videography

I would have to try hand-holding this lens myself to be convinced of its real-life usefulness. Too bad my Canons do not offer IBIS, which I'm sure would help. Also, the small LED array at end, while seemingly a good idea, appears to be creating harsh, blown-out videos in their sample videos...
  10. D

LensTip Review: Sigma 70mm Art Macro

That's some of the SLOWEST AF speed I've seen anywhere, even for a Macro lens :'( https://youtu.be/c7ux5dj34t4
  11. D

Samyang XP 50mm f/1.2 lens review

2.6 Lb compared to 1.28 Lb of Canon 50L :'(
  12. D

Sigma Announces Pricing & Availability for Its 70mm F2.8 DG MACRO Art Lens

Sigma 70mm f/2.8 EX DG was already as sharp as Macro lenses can get. Looks like the new ART 70 macro retains the unsavory front-extending mechanism and gets an extra undesirable feature of focus-by-wire, which I hate in general, especially for delicate Macro work. The reason I got rid of my...
  13. D

35 L vs. 35 L II

I, too, am often surprised by how I often prefer photos from older "less sharp" lenses than recent batch of super-sharp lenses. I have the 35L, 50L, and 85L II, and while their sharpness have been eclipsed by new lenses, I am not sure if the overall picture has been..
  14. D

Canon EF 400 DO f4 IS iI Field Review

Those 400 + 1.4 tc shots look very nice and useable :)
  15. D

Canon Asking Select Professionals What They Want in a Mirrorless Camera

Small correction. RX1R=A7 internals (24 MP) not A7R (36 MP). I already have A7R and FE 35 f/2.8 but always wished Sony made that Zeiss 35 f/2 lens detachable for FE mount instead. I wish the FE 35 f/2.8 was a smidge sharper and smidge wider aperture, and the 35 f/1.4 is simply too big (and...
  16. D

Canon Asking Select Professionals What They Want in a Mirrorless Camera

You know, I always wanted a Sony RX1R, and it's a good time to track down a used one at good price ;)
  17. D

Review: Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM by TDP

My thoughts exactly. I will add that pretty much any decent portrait lens can make breathtaking photos of children and young people. When we shoot older folk is when my 85L II comes into its own IMO, with its less than laser-sharp skin rendering at f/1.2-f/1.4 range doing wonders for model...
  18. D

Ended: Sigma 135mm f/1.8 DG Art + Sigma Dock $1199 (Reg $1399)

Re: Cyber Monday: Sigma 135mm f/1.8 DG Art + Sigma Dock $1199 (Reg $1399) Having parted with my Canon 135 f/2, I do look forward to the new version with IS, which IMO is useful at 135.
  19. D

ePhotoZone Review: Canon TS-E 50mm f/2.8L Macro

While tilting gives you some nice options in combination with Macro, it's still not going to approach stacking in terms of depth of field. It would make it easier to swallow that price if this lens had at least f/1.8-f/2 aperture for a little more portraiture shallow-depth-of-field use in place...
  20. D

RAW white balance

For "casual" shooting, I tend to just tweak WB in post. But for more serious/prolonged sessions, it saves me a lot of time in post just to use my Colorchecker before shooting. Skin tones of various races are especially tricky otherwise IME.