Search results

1. TrumpetPower!

ColorChecker passport, what's wrong?

Mikael, you are so hopeless I wonder why I bother. First, you demonstrate the most appalling ignorance and incompetence. Then, when I and others correct the misinformation you spew, you never actually attempt to address any of the points I or anybody else makes, and instead you keep beating...
  2. TrumpetPower!

Congratulations! That's the correct answer. It's also, incidentally, the answer for the rest of the saturated patches as well. BZZZZT! Worng answer. Very, very, very, very worng answer. Profiling is all about sampling the color space. The larger the sample space, the more sample points, and...
  3. TrumpetPower!

50mm 1.2L vs 35mm 1.4L for events photography...

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this. Use one of those EXIF analyzer tools to figure out what focal length you use the most. Buy the lens closest to that focal length. And, as others have mentioned, the Sigma 35 and the Canon 50 f/1.4 both deserve serious consideration. Don't automatically...
  4. TrumpetPower!

<sigh /> So sorry for confusing you with things like facts and details. Let's try something simple. That page you linked to has reference files for the QPcard. Robin Myers did a superlative review of the ColorChecker Passport that you can read here...
  5. TrumpetPower!

What do I know about color? Not much, granted -- especially in comparison with true digital color scientists such as Graeme Gill and Bruce Lindbloom. But I know a hell of a lot more than whoever wrote that page you link to, which has real doozies like this on it: First, using a chart with a...
  6. TrumpetPower!

Eh, no. Not even vaguely close. Look at either a CIE chromaticity diagram of ProPhoto -- or, better, a 3-D gamut plot that includes the spectrum locus. Huge swaths of color lie outside of ProPhoto's space...and, worse, ProPhoto's space encompasses huge swaths of imaginary space, colors that...
  7. TrumpetPower!

You keep flogging the QPcard. Honestly, it's not all that impressive. A mere 35 patches to begin with...and then they cluster all the patches in small clumps in device space, effectively wasting over half of the patches. A more uniform distribution in device space would produce far better...
  8. TrumpetPower!

Then, in that case, I'd suggest a simplified version of what I described. First, don't create DNG profiles on the fly for every shot. Instead, create a few carefully-constructed DNG profiles for the types of lighting conditions you care about. Pay particular attention to getting the chart...
  9. TrumpetPower!

Do you carry around a back up? point&shoot/mirrorless/iphone?

My thoughts exactly. When I'm shooting with the real gear, it's because the iPhone simply isn't going to cut the mustard. In fact, it's not even going to come close. Might I still whip out the iPhone for a snapshot? Sure -- but mostly just to email a teaser to friends and family on the fly...
  10. TrumpetPower!

Aperture and Light

Interesting. The old version has perfectly constant transmission across the entire focal length range. The new version is a lot brighter at the wide end but winds up almost as dim as the new version at the telephoto end. Seems to me that the old version is going to remain the favorite of the...
  11. TrumpetPower!

So, a few things. First, the Passport is an excellent small and portable chart for field use. But the DNG profiling software simultaneously sucks and blows, and that's not a compliment. The first half of the problem is the DNG profiling software's fault: it only uses the classic 24 patches...
  12. TrumpetPower!

Aperture and Light

Any differences there may be will result in negligible changes to exposure. Indeed, if you look at the actual specifications of pretty much any lens, you'll see that the numbers on the barrel are all rounded. A 200 mm lens might actually be a 193 mm lens; an f/4 lens might actually be an f/3.87...
  13. TrumpetPower!

Zeiss 135mm f/2 Apo Sonnar T* ZE in Stock at B&H

Re: Zeiss 135mm f/2 Apo Sonnar T* ZE in Stock at B&H ...except, of course, that the Sigma lens is only a rumor, with no official announcement from Sigma. (Which, incidentally, is exactly how Canon should have handled the 200-400 but didn't....) Cheers, b&
  14. TrumpetPower!

Main difference between 70-200 f/2.8 IS I and II, Non IS, and f/4 IS

Agreed...but, when shooting sports, you're going to want to keep the shutter at least in the 1/500 and above range to stop subject motion, and you need some pretty bad Parkinson's for IS to make a visible difference at those shutter speeds. That's also why you want the fastest lens you can get...
  15. TrumpetPower!

300 f/2.8L and 400 f/2.8 at f/2.8

Carl, your difficulties with autoexposure are exactly why I never use it. Though, granted, I rarely shoot in light that changes very fast. If you're shooting outdoors, unless it's a partly cloudy day with fast winds aloft, chances are good that autoexposure is going to be much more trouble than...
  16. TrumpetPower!

300 f/2.8L and 400 f/2.8 at f/2.8

HTP actually does nothing more than set the analog amplifiers on the sensor to one stop lower than what you set on the camera. If you're shooting JPEG, the onboard raw processing engine applies one stop of digital push. If you're shooting raw, it turns on the HTP flag in the metadata and most...
  17. TrumpetPower!

Comet ISON - solar filter?

This is the most important advice...practice, practice, practice. As East Wind Photography notes, the comet, even if it's spectacularly visible, it's going to be a relatively faint object in the sky. A solar filter will render absolutely everything black except for the Sun itself. It can be a...
  18. TrumpetPower!

EF 200-400 f/4L IS 1.4x Available Mid 2014?

Some of them, yes. The problem is that the lens is slow and heavy and expensive compared with Canon's other offerings, and the zoom really doesn't get you all that much advantage. Most situations where you're using a Great White, things are actually rather predictable. Sports in particular...
  19. TrumpetPower!

Grey card and spot metering

There's an excellent chance that that's because the raw processing software is applying adjustments out of order. Properly, exposure and white balance should be combined into three linear multipliers for each channel; then the gamma curve should be applied; then an ICC profile conversion from...
  20. TrumpetPower!

EF 200-400 f/4L IS 1.4x Available Mid 2014?

Did you not read the whole press release, including the part I quoted? Here, let me quote it again. Direct copy / paste from the press release: Sure reads to me like they're telling us that they had scheduled a launch date sometime during 2011. And let's not forget that this was in February...