Search results

1. R

Canon EOS 3D Outed by B&H Photo [CR0]

Re: Canon EOS 3D Outed by B&H Photo [CR0] Definite hoax. Mfr # are the same for the '3D' and Canon projector listed below it.
  2. R

Is there a cheaper way to buy from "REALLY RIGHT STUFF"

Ebay - got a great deal there on an RRS plate for more than 70% off the retail price of a use item (1dm2 L plate). Craigslist (USA) is also useful, but I know that doesn't help you.
  3. R

What's the best deal you've ever gotten on a lens?

70-200 f/2.8L IS (i.e. mark I) for US$950 last year. Sold for US$1450 less than a year later.
  4. R

5D3 Dynamic Range

Dynamic range of the human eye is something like 18 to 24 stops, depending on lighting conditions etc. The latest 2012 camera range don't even come close to 18 stops of DR.
  5. R

5D3 Dynamic Range

I think we are still far off from the point where the camera sees detail in the shadow that the eye can't.
  6. R

One area the 5D3 beats the D800...

Other than price?
  7. R

Any way to see focus point used on 5D Mark III when viewing photo?

You can also view it if you use Aperture on a Mac, at least on the 5dm2 anyway.
  8. R

What is the new 5d3 Groundbreaking Feature that will shake the industry?

Lol. Question is not "what is the groundbreaking...", but "will there be a groundbreaking..."
  9. R

Why canon?

In 2009, 2-3 months before I even thought about buying a DLSR (P&S prior), I went to the annual exhibition for the National Geographic Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition at the Natural History Museum in London. Didn't occur to me at the time, but when I decided to go down the DSLR...
  10. R

Neck strap alternatives

And if you need to lean forward to do something that isn't related to using your camera, you can slide the clip most proximal to your chest down to the hip position alongside the distal clip - now you've got your camera locked in position between the 2 clips. The body is not going to slide...
  11. R

Neck strap alternatives

I've tried the sun sniper but prefer my black rapid RS sport - I find it's very handy to have the 2 clips on the strap to limit the travel of the camera along it to suit your needs, whether it's to limit posterior travel of the camera, or to lock the camera at a specific position.
  12. R

Bokeh difference - full frame vs crop??

That makes sense. In other words for the same aperture setting and framing, FF will always have 1.3 stops shallower depth of field. That's significant! Thanks - I did allude to a difference between bokeh and DOF. Vignetting can be corrected somewhat with post-processing.... closer to the...
  13. R

Bokeh difference - full frame vs crop??

I recall reading somewhere on this forum some comment about how a FF sensor would inherently have better bokeh (or was it shallow depth of field) as compared with a crop. I can no longer find it, and I have since read conflicting opinions elsewhere. Thus, if an image is captured at the same...
  14. R

9% larger pixel size on 1D X - how does that translate IQ-wise?

I think that's the definition of marketing and PR
  15. R

Ahh... we're only just getting acquainted!
  16. R

That seems sensible. It's just interesting that a Canon USA engineer chose pixel size as the one thing to highlight, and not all the other aspects.
  17. R

Here's a comparison of relative pixel sizes. Quote from Chuck Westfall (Canon USA Pro Engineering division) via dpreview: (http://www.dpreview.com/articles/5149972341/canon-eos-1d-x-overview) When asked to for the biggest improvement in the new camera, Westfall stresses that every aspect of the...
  18. R

The New EOS [CR3]

Fantastic call CR guy.. when it really mattered!
  19. R

Great call, CR guy

Fantastic call with the Oct 18th 1D announcement.... you sure got the biggest one of the year right. That's for your many detractors out there!!! Keep it up, Craig!
  20. R

Canon EOS 1D X Press Release - Pre Announcement Thread

Re: Canon EOS 1D X Possible Press Release What does a "possible" press release mean? It's not a real press release? Someone could've made this up?