Search results

1. R

Bokeh difference - full frame vs crop??

I recall reading somewhere on this forum some comment about how a FF sensor would inherently have better bokeh (or was it shallow depth of field) as compared with a crop. I can no longer find it, and I have since read conflicting opinions elsewhere. Thus, if an image is captured at the same...
  2. R

9% larger pixel size on 1D X - how does that translate IQ-wise?

Here's a comparison of relative pixel sizes. Quote from Chuck Westfall (Canon USA Pro Engineering division) via dpreview: (http://www.dpreview.com/articles/5149972341/canon-eos-1d-x-overview) When asked to for the biggest improvement in the new camera, Westfall stresses that every aspect of the...
  3. R

Great call, CR guy

Fantastic call with the Oct 18th 1D announcement.... you sure got the biggest one of the year right. That's for your many detractors out there!!! Keep it up, Craig!
  4. R

How much time do you spend on processing your photos?

Out of curiosity and of my current struggles of working out the most efficient way of dealing with my rapidly accumulating photos, how much time/effort do people spend on post-processing in general? I take family/toddler/travel photos purely as a hobbyist. I can see a huge difference in IQ of...
  5. R

Rain / water spray cover for Canon 450D/XSi?

Hello all, Planning a trip on the Maid of the Mist at Niagara in 1-2 months - ride comes with a rain coat, so I'm expecting a lot of spray! What have you found to be useful 'housing' for this sort of thing? I'll have with me a Canon XSi and probably with a 28-70mm f/2.8L lens. I found the...
  6. R

Lens cap solution?

I have always found it somewhat annoying how easy it is to lose the lens caps on DSLR lenses. Why has Canon never come up with a way of ensuring the lens cap stays permanently attached to the lens? What do you guys use, if anything, to overcome this little nuisance? I know Amazon has some...
  7. R

"Discontinued" 5d Mark II ?

I called all the four Best Buy stores in my Michigan, USA area this morning. All said "discontinued" or "no longer available", and the system would not allow them to even place a back order. I know for a fact that one of these stores had a 5dmkII in stock in store about a month back. Is this...
  8. R

Lens filter: step-down adapter ring, or not?

Need your thoughts please... On my two L lenses, I've currently got B&W 77mm UV filters with the occasional use of the 77mm circular polariser MRC. I've just ordered a 135mm f/2L, which would take a 72mm filter. Should I: 1. Stick with 72mm filters (for those who agree these are useful!)...
  9. R

Insurance - travel within and outside USA

Hello all, I recall reading a post about insurance for camera equipment some time ago, although can't seem to find it. Any recommendations for insurance for camera equipment for: 1. Travel from USA to Europe 2. General coverage within the USA (i.e. anywhere outside my home in Michigan). My...
  10. R

Old film camera lenses for DSLRs?

First off, I'd just like to say that I'm reasonably new to this thoroughly enjoyable and informative site, particularly the forums. My question is about whether old "vintage" lenses used on film bodies can be used on canon DSLRs? I got my first L lens just 4 months back (24-70mm), and it's...