Search results

1. epsiloneri

Canon will release the EOS Ra astrophotography camera

That would be nice, but I expect this camera makes more sense with normal and tele lenses anyway, to get those pretty nebulae. Ultra-wide field H-alpha imaging is a very narrow niche indeed. For non-H-alpha astrophotogtraphy, the regular R works as well (or poorly, depending on glass and...
  2. epsiloneri

Is the term ISO “totally fake”?

Yes, thanks for the correction. Each pixel is readout with its own amplifier, with typically one or two ADC per column/row. Per-pixl ADC are still experimental.
  3. epsiloneri

Perhaps you are referring to photon counting cameras, that can resolve single photon events? Neither CMOS nor CCDs are in general photon counters. CMOS and CCDs both record the photo-electric charge, but are read out differently. CCDs are read out by moving the charges row- or column-wise to the...
  4. epsiloneri

I agree that the non-standard ISO numbers used by camera manufacturers are bad. Yes, "gain" would have been an appropriate label, but I can see the use of a standardised ISO - non-standardised ISO just gets confusing. About the other point, that the ISO setting is just digital gain, I highly...
  5. epsiloneri

Sigma updates compatibility notice for the Canon EOS R

I'm not so sure this is a general trend. Without the dock, how are they supposed to update the older lenses?
  6. epsiloneri

Canon Will Announce Their First Full Frame Mirrorless in 2018 [CR3]

I would add what I consider the most important advantage: no more micro-adjustments for autofocus! Arbitrary choice of focus point. All AF lenses "guaranteed" to focus accurately. No more 3rd party AF problems. (Ok, a bit of an exaggeration, but should at least help a lot) This of course...
  7. epsiloneri

DxO Labs in receivership?

So you don't care for, e.g., sigma lens corrections?
  8. epsiloneri

Industry News: Sony Develops a Back-Illuminated CMOS Image Sensor with Pixel-Parallel A/D Converter

Re: Industry News: Sony Develops a Back-Illuminated CMOS Image Sensor with Pixel-Parallel A/D Conver You forgot 6. Higher fps than possible with mechanical shutter. Current global shutter sCMOS technology from e.g. Andor provides up to 50 fps with 4 Mpix (monochrome); see their Zyla 5.5 model.
  9. epsiloneri

Throwback Thursday: Returning to the Canon EOS-1D

A good thing then that computer performance has improved by >100x since 2001, while the number of pixels have only grown by a factor 10x. This is also reflected in storage, where a 2 GB card back then limited the number of images stored to 300, while modern 256 GB cards can store 3000...
  10. epsiloneri

Canon Announces the EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM

From the MTF, it seems to me that the Sigma Art is quite a bit sharper. It's all about compromises I guess, as the EF 85/1.4L is smaller, lighter, has IS and potentially a better AF (although the Sigma is already pretty good). Sharpness under optimal conditions isn't everything. We will have to...
  11. epsiloneri

More Astrophotography With the Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art Lens

Unfortunately, wide-field astrophotography is the kind of astrophotography that is most sensitive to light pollution. You would overexpose the background sky in a matter of seconds with this lens, and stars would be all washed out. For astrophotography, better use this lens when travelling to...
  12. epsiloneri

Wow. 7D2 deliberately run at 10 fps until the shutter died...

That's suspiciously close, almost as if the firmware was designed to report a failure after 200k +/- some small number.
  13. epsiloneri

Canon Officially Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

Indeed, like the iphone, the 6DII could in principle provide sound over bluetooth. Any idea if that's the case? If it is, I'm sure it's mentioned somewhere in the user's manual.
  14. epsiloneri

Pricing Details for the Canon EOS 6D Mark II, Kits & Accessories (USD)

It would be great if the time was also announced in UTC, as a service to all readers outside the EST timezone.
  15. epsiloneri

ICYMI: Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art Astro Sample Images

Looks good... if the shading also is reasonable at f1.8 I'm sold.
  16. epsiloneri

Three Canon Lens Masters Pick Their Favourite Lenses

You cannot have projection without distortion, you just have to choose what quantity you want to conserve. Straight lines? Angles? Magnification? Thus all lenses, even telecentric, show a distorted view of reality. Rather than "no distortion", he clearly, more accurately stated, meant "little...
  17. epsiloneri

You cannot have a lens without project distortion, so of course the lens master did not mean that. That would be silly, something a newbie could have said (they often do) but not a lens master. It is worth pointing out, because it is a common mistake; projection distortion is not a deficiency of...
  18. epsiloneri

I agree, but the question was not about the most versatile or useful lens, or even the "best" lens, it was about your favourite lens, and that is a personal choice. The 200/2 certainly has the drawbacks you mention, but is also a wonderful portrait (and astro) lens.
  19. epsiloneri

Oh... I started to think about this and couldn't stop, so here's a list of lenses (for Canon) I've used, ranked according to how much I like them: [list type=decimal] Canon EF 70-200/2.8L USM IS II Sigma 20/1.4 DG HSM A Canon EF 200/1.8L USM Canon EF 15/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 100-400/4.0-5.6L II...