Search results

1. Velo Steve

Is the Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II Discontinued?

I hope there's a Mark III, and that it's not radically different. I have been thinking of getting a Mark II to upgrade my underwater capabilities. It seems to be the best tool for the job, for those of us not willing to travel and dive with a full SLR setup. Key features compared to my Sony...
  2. Velo Steve

Announced: #LiveIRL With Canon U.S.A.’s New IVY Mini Photo Printer

Re: Announced: #LiveIRL With Canon U.S.A.'s New IVY Mini Photo Printer Sounds to me mainly like a reason to take photos with a phone rather than a Canon camera! It there an easy way to get an image from a 5D III to this thing? Sorry if that's a dumb question - I usually am not in a rush, and...
  3. Velo Steve

Does anyone still love their old gear?

My early digital cameras aren't getting any use (or have been given away). I do wish that I had kept my Minolta XD-11. Focus was as good as your eye allowed, and it never ran out of memory. It had aperture and shutter priority modes, which was amazing for the time. Sensor noise was high when...
  4. Velo Steve

A Shake-up Coming to the APS-C DSLR Lineup? [CR2]

One of the best ideas I have seen here. It seems obvious, yet we're all carrying around needlessly huge raw files. Even at 20MP or less, why waste the space?
  5. Velo Steve

First reaction: YES! There are always features I want to max out and others that don't matter to me. Second reaction: Can I tolerate reboots and compatibility issues in a camera? NO! I like the concept, though.
  6. Velo Steve

What I'm learning (or confirming) here is that I don't understand product marketing. When I saw the front page teaser for the article, I immediately expected to hear that the recent profusion of models was going to be organized into a few distinct lines which could be marketed clearly and...
  7. Velo Steve

Elinchrom announces the ELB 500 TTL: The world’s most powerful portable TTL flash system

What is it with units of measure and light? Canon gives a guide number. This announcement gives J/Ws, which would normally be read as Joules per Watt-second and cancel out to nothing. It would better be written J (Ws) to indicate that these are to different but equivalent sets of units...
  8. Velo Steve

Which rechargeable AA batteries for Speedlights?

Just a late and minor addition concerning reliability. Some of my rechargeable AA batteries are pushing 10 years old now. I have learned this: 1) No Eneloop has ever failed for me, though some test with 10 or 20% less capacity than when new. 2) Another brand (Ray-O-Vac?) did have a few...
  9. Velo Steve

Review: Google Pixel 2 for Photography by DPReview

I went back and looked at the recent DXOMark article, and now I'm seeing the comments here. I'm quite surprised that there's very little discussion of the potential of the processing technology being used in phones. No, you can't cheat physics. No, I don't want the firmware in my 5D to start...
  10. Velo Steve

Macphun is becoming SKYLUM Software

[list type=decimal] I agree with the majority here who hope to see a non-cloud product. I spent about 8 hours over the last few days restoring data when a cloud-attached product (not photography related) was failing to reconcile something between the cloud and local data, causing complete loss...
  11. Velo Steve

Kind of a philosophical question... How much photo backing up is enough?

I like this, if only because it's thought-provoking. If a random EMP pulse took out your home copy or an online copy, it is unlikely that both would be damaged. Unless you live close to the datacenter, which should be avoided in all scenarios. Just get the backup that wasn't affected...
  12. Velo Steve

Which rechargeable AA batteries for Speedlights?

I have a LaCrosse BC-700 charger. It makes me happy every time I use it. I might possibly be a geek, though. I guess it's expensive for a charger, but it's less expensive than a nice UV filter and negligible compared to most other camera gear. I use Eneloop batteries, sometimes Pro and...
  13. Velo Steve

spare battery limit carry on bag

Maybe not directly relevant, but I recently traveled with some people carrying LiPo batteries for robotics. It was only a few batteries per person, but these are much bigger batteries. Their strategy was to volunteer the information that they were carrying lots of lithium. The bags got...
  14. Velo Steve

What Do You Want To See in the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV?

Top 3 for me: 1) Remove or greatly reduce the low pass filter (think 5DS R without the huge pixel count) 2) Higher dynamic range 3) I'd hardly miss video if they dropped it entirely. Okay, a few others, partly poached from other posts: - In-body MFA adjustment (or at least make life easy for...
  15. Velo Steve

Recommendations needed: more than a D30, less than a 5DIII

I wasn't really aware of high quality flexible housings when I made my decision. It definitely looks worth a try, but I'm no longer in the market. With the Sony/Ikelite/Sea&Sea combo I have reached the point where I need a skill upgrade much more than an equipment upgrade :).
  16. Velo Steve

Thanks for this message! My practice has been to limit hyperventilation to two or three breaths so that I don't "fool" my system by suppressing the natural warning signs. I read many of the articles from your Google link and there were some great ideas (and some scary stories). I'll...
  17. Velo Steve

Thanks - I'll start holding my breath while writing web posts...
  18. Velo Steve

Thanks again to those who offered advice. I stuck with the choices I posted last, and just came back from my first trip with the camera. There were lots of lessons learned. [list type=decimal] The camera, housing, and strobe worked great, although I need to adjust the control for the rear...
  19. Velo Steve

It looks like my $1000 budget is out the window anyway, but still a lot less than most SLR options. I was tempted by the G7 X's big sensor but I kept reading that it's a sluggish camera. My latest choices are the Sony RX100 III, an Ikelite housing, the Sea&Sea YS-01 strobe mentioned by pato...
  20. Velo Steve

Thanks, pato. Your setup sound just about right for me. Of course if anyone else has other ideas, I'd be glad to hear them.