Search results

1. B

Canon issues a security advisory for PTP equipped EOS DSLRs, EOS mirrorless and PowerShot cameras

The researchers did eventually find the keys but ML did not leak them, a quote from the article: "Being open-source, we hoped that ML would somehow publish this encryption key, allowing us to decrypt the firmware on our own. Unfortunately, that turned out not to be the case. Not only does ML...
  2. B

Canon issues a security advisory for PTP equipped EOS DSLRs, EOS mirrorless and PowerShot cameras

Yes. Was this particular round, no. I found the researcher's article finally: https://research.checkpoint.com/say-cheese-ransomware-ing-a-dslr-camera/
  3. B

https://threatpost.com/hack-of-a-canon-eos-80d-dslr/147214/ Worth reading. This hack was specific to Canon but: The researcher wrote, in a technical paper released Sunday, that PTP is a ripe target, given it is an unauthenticated protocol that supports dozens of different complex commands. “[A]...
  4. B

Canon EOS RP Specifications & Images

Superimposed with an M50 aligning the flashmount. Obviously rough, but height is very similar to an M50.
  5. m50 RP superimposed.png

m50 RP superimposed.png

6. B

The Canon EOS M50 and Canon EOS R continued to sell well in December

Thank you, Ivan! The Sagrada is supposed to be done in 2026 for the 100th anniversary of Gaudí's death. There is some hope that is accurate - supposedly advances in 3D modeling and printing have allowed the structure to be finalized instead of a build-a-bit and spend a long time figuring out...
  7. B

The Canon EOS M50 and Canon EOS R continued to sell well in December

Mostly agreed. My 5D mk III is great and takes wonderful portraits when I want full frame and have the room to take the "big-bag". It's going to take probably five years for the R to be tempting. My guess is whenever the unannounced "high-end" R is released and then three or four years after...
  8. B

The most popular rental gear according to Lensrentals.com

Right now the difference in rental cost isn't very much, but I bet back in January the Mark III was "cost advantaged."
  9. B

Shipping dates for the Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM, Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III and EF Canon 600mm f/4L IS III

Sooooo .... anyone have this yet?? I'm normally a two year after announcement type of guy but I am considering this.
  10. B

Opinion: Canon is causing its own problems with the RF mount

I find this amazing to contemplate in retrospect. I bought the original M when it went on the $300-with your choice of lens fire-sale back in July 2013. (The first M had one glaring problem - glacial focusing speed.) I remember reading lots of angst over Canons "failure" at the time and...
  11. B

The Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM confirmed again

Make that 6 EF-M lenses. I just saw TDP's post about the 15% off on eBay (PREGAME15) and ordered the 28mm Macro from Adora**. I'm "only" missing the 18-150mm now. The total setup is just under $2k, given well timed purchases, which I think that is a steal for so much capability.
  12. B

The Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM confirmed again

I updated my original M to an M50 a month and a half ago to get ready for my first trip to Europe (London, then Catelonia, Aragon, Euskal Harria, Cantebaria and Galicia Spain!) I now have 5 EF-M lenses and will likely bring therm all as they are the best thing I can find for a relatively...
  13. B

Samyang announces the MF 85mm f/1.8 for EF-M

I have an M50 and focus peaking works quite well there. You will need to find "Release shutter w/o lens" to use the Samyang as it's not chipped. This is C.Fn II.3 on the M50. (Canon decided to not document any of the C.Fn settings on the M50 presumably since the M50 is the mid-tier "M" and...
  14. B

EOS M50 Help Manual

For completeness - the printed manual that came with my M50 is tri-lingual (English, French and Spanish). Reviewing the index, and spot checking random sections, the content matches the "User Manual" available online. I like the camera so far. Compared to the original "M", focus is so much...
  15. B

EOS M50 Help Manual

Thanks Rocky! That guide at least admits the BR-E1 remote works with the M50 unlike the North-America User Manual that does not even mention remotes. I just ordered an M50 so am appreciative of better information. -- Brian
  16. B

Canon EOS M3 Coming to USA

No one mentioned that the EF-M 11-22mm is finally a US product too. The grey-market to US-warrantied price ratio on the M3 is not attractive but it is for the EF-M 11-22mm. One of Santa's elves may need to get me one this year.
  17. B

The TRI-X 'look'...

Real Tri-X from a 1989 trip to the Canadian Rockies. (Maybe not profound shots but they do give the feel.) Scanned with a Plustek Optifilm 7400.
  18. B

Anything shot with the EOS-M

Since cbecklund is doing "Minnesota Winter" as a theme, here is my straight out of camera Minnesota shot. EOS-M EF-M 18-55mm
  19. B

Is Sony junk....

Mt. Spokane described it very thoroughly and eloquently. For those that want it in a just a single picture, look at this graph: http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/ar/2013/highlight/p2.html Ouch.
  20. B

Adobe Releases Lightroom 5.3 & DNG Converter 8.3

Re: Adobe Releases Lightroom 5.3 & DNG Converter 8.3 Sadly not in North America: http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/12/canon-eos-m2-gets-official/ http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/12/canon-eos-m2-not-coming-to-north-america/