Search results

1. V

Patent: Canon RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

Tossing in my 2c regarding sealing on internal focusing lenses. My 70-200 f2.8 ii got a grain of sand caught in the focusing assembly - I could hear it grinding if I turned the focus ring. I didn't drop it in sand or anything like that, though it briefly shared a bag with a towel that had some...
  2. V

Canon Releases Digital Photo Professional 4.5.20

Not trying to troll, but does anybody here use it for their workflow? Of those that use it, do you also have Lightroom? I remember messing with whatever version was current for the 5D3 and it was not very fun. I remember they also made it surprisingly hard to download, register, etc. It is...
  3. V

Monochrome-only body?

One of my coworkers has a webcam that has somehow become monochrome-only. We are all software engineers working on videoconferencing solutions (Skype for Business), and it's a continuous source of amusement and puzzlement how an RGB device could fail in such a way. Reading this thread, I'm...
  4. V

Canon EF 135mm f/2L II On the Way? [CR1]

Sign me up for one that's sharper at f2 and has IS! The AF is already pretty good, but I wouldn't be angry if they made it quieter and/or faster. The current version sharpens and edits very nicely, but the look is relatively flat wide open, which is where you probably want to be keeping it...
  5. V

how to organize my photos in lightroom

Keep it all in one catalog. With your catalog on your SSD, there will be no performance problems that would outweigh the inconvenience of having to constantly re-launch Lightroom to find the right photo or the right shoot. My LR workflow is pretty simple. Import all the photos on the card...
  6. V

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Spec List [CR1]

I've had a 3rd party focusing screen (fucusingscreen.com) on my 5D3 since it first came out. Works great, no AF or metering issues.
  7. V

New 50mm Compact Macro on the Way? [CR1]

Ah, thanks for that. After clicking on that link, I now see targeted ads everywhere I go showing me that contraption :) I can't wait for my wife to see it over my shoulder and be like, "is that what you're into these days??"
  8. V

New 50mm Compact Macro on the Way? [CR1]

OK, I give up, even after brief searching, I have no idea what reproduction/copy means in a photographic context. Is it photographing artwork? I did that for a friend's paintings with the 100/2.8, and then proceeded to infuriate her with how easy it is to tweak colors in the digital world :)
  9. V

My Fear of People Photography

Some great advice here already, I just wanted to add one thing that helped me in building rapport. In fact, when I was practicing with my now-wife, she pointed this out. As you're getting started, especially when throwing in new variables like strobes, it's likely you will get a lot of...
  10. V

New model Phottix Odin announced

I'm stoked for this release! I have 2 Mitros+ strobes and the Odin TCU, and it's a great setup. I love that I can easily throw my AlienBee in the mix with a cheap Strato receiver. Looks like they are addressing the two major issues with the original unit - allowing for quick selection of...
  11. V

Speedlites - How many are enough?

A question to all you shooting with multiple speedlites. What is some good gear for getting two (or more?) into a softbox? Any specific softbox/mount/setup recommendations?
  12. V

First Flash

My vote is for the Phottix Mitros+ Does pretty much everything Canon can, except zooming past 105mm and I think not as powerful. Costs $100 less. When you're ready to take it off-camera, you can do it with their triggers, and easily add in studio lights, etc. Of course none of this future gear...
  13. V

Comfortable strap?

I have the Split Strap and love it. I've had people laugh at the plastic components, but I've never had any issue with them, and I push my gear hard. I like to shoot rock climbing, and I feel comfortable letting my DSLR dangle from this strap when I'm 100 feet off the ground. Another great...
  14. V

Sigma Announces the 50 f/1.4 Art Lens & More

Re: Sigma Announces the 50 f/1.4 Art Lens & More I haven't noticed any metering abnormalities. I usually shoot in Av with evaluative metering and occasionally bump to +1/3 EV to expose to the right, which is pretty much what I was doing before on a 5Dc with Canon's matte EE-S screen. And...
  15. V

Sigma Announces the 50 f/1.4 Art Lens & More

Re: Sigma Announces the 50 f/1.4 Art Lens & More FYI, I got a matte focusing screen for my MKIII from this site and it works great: http://www.focusingscreen.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_134&products_id=1193
  16. V

600EX-RT + ST-E3-RT remote zoom setting?

I don't think anybody mentioned them, but the new Odin Mitros+ flashes have remote zoom and 2nd curtain control, if that's what you are really after.
  17. V

Phottix Mitros+ Flash first impressions

First real-world experience was without issue. Still developing the muscle memory to quickly adjust mode and power remotely, but overall the system is simple and solid.
  18. V

Phottix Mitros+ Flash first impressions

Yesterday I received 2 Phottix Mitros+ flashes direct from Phottix in Hong Kong. I couldn't find much first-hand info on them before buying, so I was hesitant to take a chance, but in case somebody else is contemplating them or finding this thread through a search, let me report - these are the...
  19. V

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM

Love this lens. Focus isn't ultra fast, but works fine for most scenarios. Quality at 1.4 is quite good. Bokeh is lovely. I haven't used the Canon 50 1.4 and really don't have much curiosity about it :)
  20. V

ProDot Shutter Button Upgrade

Anybody ever used this? http://www.customslr.com/products/prodot For the record, I supported their kickstarter for the C-Loop, and i use their glide strap. I love both and will likely get the new strap...