Search results

1. R

Standard Lens for Paris and London holiday.

What ever you do don't compare the 24-105 to the 24-70ii. If you do you will be walking out very poor. The 24-105 is a great travel lens. Light, great range and IS so you don't necessarily need a tripod often. Although I'd say if you already have a 16-35 and a 50mm I'd skip the normal range...
  2. R

50 f1.4 vs 85 f1.8.....

You can't go wrong with either. If it matters the 85 has true ring usm and the 50 does not. So the 50 is a little slower to focus but not enough to really matter in my opinion. Fwiw I like the 85 over the 50.
  3. R

Who has pre-ordered or will order 200-400

I will and I will concurrently have to file for divorce. Which I guess means my (ex) wife will own half the lens. I wonder which half she wants?
  4. R

Buy 1DX now or wait for an upgrade?

So last month you wanted to wait to pick up a new version of a 55-250, so yes by all means I can tell you need a 1dx for your professional work. then again why not wait for a 1dx mark iv? I've heard it will come with a Klingon death ray...
  5. R

Wedding expert suggestions desired...first time.

Rent a back up 7d just in case and also the 17-55 2.8 and a back up flash. Thats really a better range on crop than the 24-70. I think you'll enjoy the wider end plus at 55mm on crop that lens makes a great portrait length. I'd also look at a prime just to have with you as we'll. general advice...
  6. R

How much would you pay?

Interesting. Cook hasn't really proven himself (at least to me) to be a terribly effective leader in the wake of Jobs death. Now Jobs was definitely a visionary, if also a huge @sshole from time to time, but he seemed to get the best out of his people and they either loved him or hated him for...
  7. R

Macro lens or attachments to make my current lenses go macro?

For the price it's tough to beat extension tubes. Kenkos are nice, you get af, and only $200. A little more than the close up filter you're looking at but at least then you can use them on all your lenses vs just the ones with the same filter size. I get very good results with my 70-200 f4 IS...
  8. R

24-70 f2.8 I L --- 24-105 f4 L --- TAMRON 24-70 2.8 --- 1000$ budget.

Of those three the tamron offers the most quality IMHO, but you can't go wrong with any of them. I chose the tamron earlier this year because it was better than my copy of the 24-70i and offered IS. I tried the 24-70ii and while awesome it wasn't a $1000 more awesome than the tamron. I now don't...
  9. R

Need advice, what can I do to improve?

3 and 7 seem to me to be your strongest images. I'd have ditched the glasses entirely, they aren't really flattering to the model. shooting with flash and glasses can be tricky trying to keep the reflection of the light source out of the photos. I think you did a reasonable job there. All in...
  10. R

Camera Phone

I think the lines between camera phone and dslr are already being blurred. I definitely see a time in the future that your phone will be capable of similar images as your mid to high end dslr. Heck it's already happening. There is a very accomplished local photog who speaks very highly of his...
  11. R

Lost a 5DIII. Deciding how to replace. Big Value = Bad Idea?

Re: House was robbed. Took my 5DIII. Big Value = Bad Idea? There is a lot of misinformation out there about warrentees and non authorized sellers. It really boils down to this. If you want full canon USA warrentee with no hassles buy from an authorized reseller (and keep your receipt) i.e...
  12. R

Lens Choice

Is this the new one? If so very curious as to your thoughts on the lens.
  13. R

1dx plus 85 1.2 is great for night street photography.

sanj it was totally in jest, hence the sarcasm. One would expect you to be able to take great images, regardless of the situation with, in my opinion, the near pinnacle of canon gear. Personally I hate the idea that a lens, or camera for that matter, it meant for only a specific purpose. Some...
  14. R

Just got the canon 16-35 ii and having a hard time seeing the value in this uwa

I'd return it. You say it doesn't fit your eye so no reason to have it at this point. If you develop a need or want for it later its not going anywhere. By then you'll probably also just buy used because you'll know there is little difference between new and used glass other than price. I've...
  15. R

Just got the canon 16-35 ii and having a hard time seeing the value in this uwa

Fwiw I don't usually listen to folks who tell me how to spend my money, especially those behind a computer. If you got it who am I (or we) to tell you how to spend it. If it makes you happy so be it. That being said I think you're chasing happiness in your photography and while new shiny toys...
  16. R

24-105 &/or 24-70

Don't say that too loud, you'll get the pro who thinks CPS is only for them in a tizzy. I'm sure you'll be happy, until of course the next object of desire comes out with a thin red line on the end :)
  17. R

24-105 &/or 24-70

Ah that just solves the zoom problem but gives up the perspective. I see a value for both, if nothing else the 24-105 makes a great one lens travel solution.
  18. R

24-105 &/or 24-70

I'd take a hard look at the new tamron 24-70 in that case. It's saves you a grand over the canon and the IQ difference is very small. I personally had a hard time figuring out why id pay all that extra cash for a maybe 5-10% difference in IQ. My tamron is not perfect (nothing is) but it gets the...
  19. R

24-105 &/or 24-70

Looking at your gear list I'd have to wonder why you'd actually need the 24-70ii unless your doing a lot of event work? even then I'd be happy with two bodies your 16-35 on one and the 70-200 on the other. Just my $0.02
  20. R

1dx plus 85 1.2 is great for night street photography.

So $9000 worth of gear means you're able to take good night shots...go figure...#sarcasm