Search results

1. bdunbar79

Second 5D Mark IV or a 5DsR

Hello forum members! It's been awhile since I've posted. I'm going to be getting into other areas of photography besides sports, and wanted to see your opinion. I recently took a 5D4 out to shoot sports along with my 1Dx's, and I was blown away by the IQ on the 5D4 vs. the 1Dx. Indoors the...
  2. bdunbar79

5Ds + lenses changeover

For the second time in my life, I'm quitting sports photography for good. I've quit before, so I can certainly quit again. Anyways, I'm selling both 1Dx's, my 300 f/2.8L I IS, and 400 f/2.8L I IS and purchasing a 5Ds and a 300 f/2.8L II IS. My goal is to keep the 24-70 f/2.8L II and 70-200...
  3. bdunbar79

Sports shooters: It's a tough life!

I bang up and use my 1Dx's pretty consistently. I noticed I had some AF misses which were unusual at a track meet 12/12. So since I'm a Platinum member for CPS I sent them in explaining the problem. On 1Dx number 1 the following was found: "Your product has been examined and it was found...
  4. bdunbar79

Who's getting what/wish list

My wish list right now is: 1. 300 f/2.8L II IS 2. 16-35 f/4L 3. 5Ds Obviously I want other things but #1 and #2 I can use, maybe not #3 but I'd like to get a higher resolution camera. Just for reference I already have 2 1Dx's, 24-70 f/2.8L II, 70-200 f/2.8L II IS, 50 f/1.4, 135 f/2L, and...
  5. bdunbar79

1Dx and tracking runners running towards you

Hey group, I have gotten by quite well with the 400 lens and tracking athletes, EXCEPT one area I haven't really figured out yet completely. When I shoot soccer or volleyball or football, pretty much all of my photos are in sharp focus even at f/2.8 on a 400mm lens. The only variability I'm...
  6. bdunbar79

Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS Repair Topic

I sent a lens into Canon to check the AF assembly and lens calibration upon purchasing a used lens. I got the following return disposition: "Your product has been examined and upon close inspection the exact cause could not be identified but it was found that causing front focus from time to...
  7. bdunbar79

More Useless Northrup: 5D S/R

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww6QGpryrLM
  8. bdunbar79

400 f/2.8L II IS on sunny days and white jerseys

Has anyone noticed a decrease in AF accuracy on bright sunny days where your team is wearing white jerseys. I am often disappointed in the keeper rate in these situations where the camera/lens seems to focus nowhere in particular even though it says you've locked on the player. I noticed it...
  9. bdunbar79

400 f/2.8L II IS: Took the plunge...

Well, it's time to upgrade again. I sold my 300 f/2.8L I IS and 400 f/2.8L I IS lenses (because I don't really need the 300 anymore) and bought a 400 f/2.8L II IS for sports all next year. Anyone using this lens currently? I was really amazed how much lighter it felt vs. the version I and...
  10. bdunbar79

DOF and Sensor Size

Sorry guys, I tried to search for this topic on here and I couldn't really get exactly what I needed so I will post the question but if you know the link to another thread that already discussed this thoroughly I would really appreciate that too. I'm very familiar with the mathematics behind...
  11. bdunbar79

New Term

We all know what gear heads are, or at least the typical definition of a "gear head" but I had another thought. I've been dealing with a lot of people who are absolute in their views of "gear doesn't matter at all, in any situation" and people who feel as though they are better and had it...
  12. bdunbar79

Why does this happen?

So I was over on LinkedIn in a Canon group discussion and someone posted which was better, the 85 f/1.2L II or the 85 f/1.8? First response was "Get the Sigma" but you know I really expected that one, someone always says something like that. Then it got into zoom lenses, etc. Finally...
  13. bdunbar79

1Dx EC in Manual Mode Question

Excuse my ignorance (not just on this topic, but everything else too). I noticed recently that having been shooting in Tv mode with a +2/3 EC, I must have changed some setting where it obeys the EC setting in Manual. Not full manual obviously, but when using auto ISO. So for instance if I...
  14. bdunbar79

1DX Question from a friend of mine...

He posed the following questions. We would really appreciate any help! Although I haven't had time do more than minimal processing, I'm pretty pleased with the results and with the camera in general. I'm puzzled by two issues - probably due to lack of knowledge about the camera settings. I've...
  15. bdunbar79

Just For Fun!

I thought just for fun I'd post the top things I'm sick of hearing in the world of photography. Here are some that come to mind: 1. You can shoot better shots with a P&S than a 1Dx if you understand lighting 2. Gear doesn't matter, it's the photographer 3. Well, back in the film days... 4...
  16. bdunbar79

Canon 24-70 f/2.8L II vs. Sigma 24-70

I told a group of people that the Canon performed better opitcally, based upon REAL comparisons. Not to mention the price difference. I was told that I was wrong and the testing and reviews had to be wrong, because the Sigma is better. Why did I get this response?
  17. bdunbar79

1DX and 5D3 RAW files

I have heard, increasingly lately, that 1DX RAW files are better than 5D3. I have noticed myself, in other posts, that they tend to be able to be pushed farther. Why is this? Thanks for any insight.
  18. bdunbar79

400 f/2.8L IS I vs. 400 f/2.8L IS II

I am only curious, but has anyone ever really done a true comparison in performance between these two lenses (and the 300's as well)? I just wonder if there are actually any in-the-field performance differences. The ISO comparion charts look very similar. I was just curious. Thanks.
  19. bdunbar79

300 f/2.8L and 400 f/2.8 at f/2.8

I have a technical question to ask the forum. I already have some ideas on what is going on, but I don't really know for sure and wanted to ask, since many of you are so knowledgeable. In advance, thanks. I tested my 300 f/2.8L I IS vs. my 400 f/2.8L I IS yesterday at a track meet. I felt...
  20. bdunbar79

Tilt Shift Lenses: 17 or 24

Hello everyone, Now it's time I ask a question. I am going to get either the 17 or 24 TS lens. I'm leaning towards the 17 because I'm interested in a lens that wide, but I suppose it doesn't matter. I know the perspective is different (7 mm that wide is a lot), but do either have any optical...