Search results

1. alan_k

Printer Talk: Crafting Printers any good?

I've recently started printing and selling my photos as greeting cards on inkjet cardstock. I've been using a Pixma Pro 100 with canon ink, and the cards look great. Only problem is that I'm dead set on having them borderless, and so printing on 7x10 stock I have to trim each card. I'm...
  2. alan_k

Why do I keep my Eos M?

I've occasionally used it as a small walk-around- but usually in full auto mode (especially when the gf uses it). The only other reason I keep it is for "digiscoping"- I got an adapter that lets you sit the camera on the eyepiece of a scope for taking photos of birds. The small size is really...
  3. alan_k

Pronghorns, deer, bison and other ungulates in the wild...

GrassyPronghorn1 on Flickr
  4. alan_k

Show your Bird Portraits

I googled "Galapagos flycatchers" and there is actually a Myarchus flycatcher called the Galapagos flycatcher! Might be it. Jealous of your trip! nice shots.
  5. alan_k

Pronghorns, deer, bison and other ungulates in the wild...

Caribou, North slope, Alaska Toolik Caribou in Snow fs 1805 on Flickr Pronghorn, Wyoming run run run pronghorns 1523 on Flickr Am I doing this right? pronghorns in background 1524 on Flickr
  6. alan_k

Show your Bird Portraits

Cedar Waxwing, Arboretum 10-23-2014 1886 on Flickr
  7. alan_k

Tamron SP 150-600mm Di VC USD

A few from mid-day yesterday. Crappy lighting. Most of these are pretty heavily cropped. Cedar Waxwing, Arboretum 10-23-2014 1886 on Flickr Oregon Dark-eyed Junco, Arboretum 10-23-2014 1885 on Flickr Green Heron, Arboretum 10-23-2014 1883 on Flickr
  8. alan_k

Tamron 150-600mm availability

Mine took late June -> late September, also from B&H.
  9. alan_k

Your best animal shots!

Thanks Everyone! If you say nice things you might get more foxes. Toolik-Red-Fox 1724 on Flickr Toolik-Foxes-fs 1781 on Flickr
  10. alan_k

Show your Bird Portraits

Small Robin In Snow 1802 on Flickr Toolik-Ptarmigan-in-snow-closeup 1785 bon Flickr
  11. alan_k

Your best animal shots!

Toolik-arctic-ground-squrrel 1742 on Flickr Two Caribou, Dalton Highway on Flickr Musk Ox, Dalton Highway on Flickr Toolik-Fox-in-snow-reprocessed 1787 on Flickr Toolik Caribou in Snow fs 1805 on Flickr
  12. alan_k

Tamron SP 150-600mm Di VC USD

Some hand-helds with a 6D. The first has some sharpening in post, but the 2nd and 3rd are un-sharpened. The first and third are somewhere between 50 and 100% crop. Sharp-shinned-Hawk 1880 on Flickr RB Nuthatch1 1830 on Flickr Juvie Cedar Waxwing 1833 on Flickr IS is pretty good, because...
  13. alan_k

The promised pics of the 18-200 Tammy

The 10-18 seems like it might be a good match (if you already have an EF/EF-S ->M adapter). Getting good reviews and pretty small. Any reason not to go this route? I just got a 6D, kept my 60D as a backup/beater camera, so the M is relegated to times I'm bringing some sort of backpack or...
  14. alan_k

Advice for 1 week trip to Colorado (wildlife / landscape)

Black Canyon of the Gunnison is spectacular- tough to photograph (at least for me) but worth a stop. If you make it to northwestern Colorado, Dinosaur National Mnt and Flaming Gorge are also great.
  15. alan_k

Panasonic 60x superzoom

I have an FZ-50 too and I love it- if it wasn't so noisy I'd probably still be using it more regularly. It's got better ergonomics than entry level DSLR's. Although the LCD seems so TINY now. I know there's probably physics involved blah-dee-blah but I really can't fathom why there isn't even a...
  16. alan_k

Canon Dual Pixel Liveview Autofocus

This is from the DP-Review hands-on Preview (bold mine) Does this mean, for example, I could get AF on a 70-300L + 2xTC, and if so, only in live-view? e: you read my mind!!! :o
  17. alan_k

Canon EOS 70D Announced

DP Review has a hands-on preview as well. One thing they mention is AF to F/11 in live view. Does this mean there isn't the <F/8 issue with, for example, long telephoto + TC's? DPReview was quite optimistic about the live view AF, but it didn't sound like they'd had much chance to test it.
  18. alan_k

70d price discussion & poll results

Re: POLL: What will be the 70d's price tag? Looks like I was high by 100 or so- at least comparing the t5i body only to the kit, it's 750 vs. 1099, which would put body-only about $1300.
  19. alan_k

Canon EOS 70D Spec List [CR3]

I really hope "continuous images into one" includes a good in-camera panorama. Pretty lame when i have to ask my friend for her iphone panoramas.
  20. alan_k

70d price discussion & poll results

Re: POLL: What will be the 70d's price tag? It doesn't have to be less than the D7100 to compete with it- I'm guessing $1400 so it's "within reach" of the D7100 and can be kitted with a couple of lenses for under $1800.