Search results

1. S

Opinion: EOS-M transition that never was

I bought the original M early on, thinking it could be a second body to eliminate the need to change lenses in the field. I found the user interface terrible, not at all as easy to use as either the EF or Powershot cameras I was used to. And focusing was glacial, both in picking the subject and...
  2. S

Patent: Canon RF-S 15-70mm f/4 and RF-S 15-85mm f/2.8-4

I just bought an R10 with 18-150, but had been wishing for an EF-S 15-85 equivalent. I liked my original 17-85 on digital Rebels, and love the 15-85 on my SL1. The 15-85 is sharp and contrasty, and made my SL1 my go-to rig for daylight shoots, over my 5D3 with 24-105L. I had both the EF-M...
  3. S

RF to M Adapter?

Ok, I have an adapter to use my EF and EF-S lenses on my M and M50. If I bought an R I could also get an adapter to use the same lenses. The question is whether there will be an adapter to use these wonderful RF-mount lenses on M body cameras? Is it possible geometrically? I have already...
  4. S

POLL: How many mp do you want anyway?

Actually, we did this test as part of photography class I took, printing the same photo at a variety of resolutions. We saw improvement as resolution increased up to 300 ppi (not dpi), and no improvement past that. Since then, I've believed the techs running the printers as to what the optimum...
  5. S

POLL: How many mp do you want anyway?

The biggest printer I use (at my local Costco) is 12" by 18" at 300 ppi, for a native 19.4 MP. So, theoretically my 5D3 is already overkill, and my SL1 is almost there. But that assumes no cropping. If I want to cut just 20% off of width and height, I'd need 30.4 MP to avoid interpolating...
  6. S

7D2 and EF 24 - 105 F4 L IS USM

I used a 24-105 on a Rebel and a 7D, and it worked fine. Better focus and bokeh than the 17-85 I had previously. Not much for wide angle (I have a 17-40 for that), though I appreciated the 1.6x105mm reach at some events. But the 24-105 didn't come alive until I put it on a 5D3, where it...
  7. S

Buying my first white lens: 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 70-200 f4 IS or 70-300 f4-5.6L

My telephoto zooms have progressed from 55-250, to 70-200 f4 IS (w/ 1.4X extender), to 70-300L, to the legendary 70-200 f2.8 IS II. I still have all three L lenses. And the one I grab when I need a long lens is the 70-300L. The 70-200 f4 IS is sharp on its own, but degrades with the 1.4X on...
  8. S

RAW or JPEG

I only switch to JPEG when I want long bursts of continuous shots, following some active subject, hoping for the perfect shot to pop out the string. Shooting raw overwhelms the buffer too quickly. Oh, I also use JPEG when checking the autofocus on a lens, so that I can zoom in something finer...
  9. S

How Long Does Your CF Cards Last...

The 128MB card I paid about $100 for in 2002 for my first digital camera (a Canon S45) is still going strong in a digital picture frame I use as a night light. I expect that you're more likely to damage a CF card by removing/reinserting it than actually wearing it out.
  10. S

opinions about my future set?

The kit 24-105 will be very nearly as wide on the 6D as a 14mm on your crop camera. I've never tried the Sigma 50mm, but I had the Canon 50 f1.8 and now have the Canon f1.4, and frankly I'd rather have the f4 and the IS of the 24-105 for indoor portraits. I'd recommend you get the 24-105 and...
  11. S

Buy EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II now or wait until September?

I used a 55-250 for a few years, until I stepped up to a 7D and L-lenses. The 55-250 is the telephoto I recommend to anyone not buying an L. It is small, light, and really quite sharp. The IS worked well, and I regularly got sharp handheld 250mm shots down to 1/30 sec (4 stops by my...
  12. S

upgrading from rebel xsi: T4i or used 7D

I went from my old XTi to the 7D a few years ago wanting three things: better focus, better low light, and a bigger viewfinder. Then I discovered the speed of the 7D - I hadn't realized the XTi was slow before I tried the 7D. Now the T4i will have better low light, and a little better focus...
  13. S

Which to get: 50mm f/1.8 or 35mm f/2?

I have both, and the 35/2 gets used a lot more. 50mm on a crop is a bit long for a fixed walk-around lens, and it's too short for a telephoto. The 50mm (and my 85/1.8) are really only used in my rare portrait shoots. I can put the 35mm on my Rebel, set it to monochrome (still raw, of course)...
  14. S

Can the 650D/T4i act as a Master Flash for a remote slave?

I don't know how I missed that. I had mostly been looking at the Canon and B&H site descriptions. Now that I have the 5D3 (and love it), I want to trade my 7D for something smaller and lighter.
  15. S

Can the 650D/T4i act as a Master Flash for a remote slave?

The 7D can run my 430EX remotely, and I believe the T3i and 60D can as well. But nothing I've seen on the 650D says one way or the other. Does anyone know?