Search results

1. S

Anyone own the Canon EF 200mm f/2.8 L II?

I've owned it concurrently with the 70-200 IS2, sold the 200 L II. Optically, they are about the same...pixel peeping comparisons would sway me one direction or the other depending on the shot, they are that close. I miss the light weight, small size, black color, low cost of ownership. I don't...
  2. S

Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC

Re: Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC This was a test shot with no ambient light except for a low window light that hit the tree on the left, otherwise just the full moon for illumination. Distortion corrected with PTLens.
  3. S

Any ideas on getting good focus when shooting thru glass pane?

Apparently this is the problem at my house. Closer I get to the glass, worse the problem manifests. I tried MF, IS-off, then did an "angle shot" of a flat textured surface I often do in order to spot check AFMA, and noticed the center zone was blurred, but it gets progressively blurrier forward...
  4. S

Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Wide Angle Review

Just bought this lens used (v2) and it is everything Dustin said...very pleased once I read this thread and saw info on the focus scale thing that agreed with what I found in mine. I also saw extremeinstability's review and shots and it sold me on this lens for nightscapes. Thanks to both of you...
  5. S

Any ideas on getting good focus when shooting thru glass pane?

Wife tried shooting XTi with 70-200 IS2 + 1.4 TC3 through glass pane for birds at feeders. The focus confirms, but results are horrible. I put the lens setup on my 5D3 and get the same horrible results. When shooting the same distance without glass pane in the path, focus is dead on for both...
  6. S

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Forgot to add...the weird bokeh in the cat pic is due to the fact it was shot thru a chain link fence...
  7. S

Does Canon really deserve this?

My guess is that Canon has probably been dragging their feet on announcing higher pixel count bodies until they got a number of lens updates done. Doesn't make much sense to put out a hirez body only to offer older lenses that mask any benefits. Of course DR is another story, but for me, I...
  8. S

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Cat picture...ISO 800, f/4.5, 1/1000s, 200mm...and some ducks...ISO 200, f/4.5, 1/60s, 200mm...Houston Zoo...Capture One Pro 8
  9. S

70-200 2.8 II or 100 2.8L and 135 2 and 200 2.8

Went thru similar choice...still have the 70-200 f2.8 is2, 100L. The 200L 2.8 was virtually identical iq, but black, small, light, inexpensive. But zoom won out in the end, though I really dislike the size/weight of the 70-200, but for me I need the 2.8 for low light... If low light is not an...
  10. S

Sigma 50mm Art on Canon 50D Focus issues

I had a 50d and 5d2 at the same time and was able to compare focus accuracy and was able to test and repeat results showing my 50d had a much larger in focus zone than the 5d2. This meant I had not so good percentages of in focus shots with my 50d using fast primes while the same lens did fine...
  11. S

Seeking quick advice

One question I'd ask is do you really want/need a fast prime for portrait? I'm not a portrait shooter but have read (mainly here) how pro portrait shooters are often stopping down to get enough dof to keep the model's features all in reasonable focus. In that situation the 24-105 and the 70-200...
  12. S

Review: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens

I rather doubt it is Canon firmware since it would be a pain to write code to make it drift after a period of time. Now making it have random misses all the time is a different story, that would be easy to code. Who only knows if Canon would bother with such a thing....
  13. S

Thinking about the Sigma 1.4 Art

I tend to agree the fast 50 probably isn't so needed if you have a 24-70 mk2. IMO, shallow dof is nice at times but I often find myself stopping down quite a bit to get more dof. Even considering a m43 just for the increased dof... Obviously the dof question depends on what you shoot...
  14. S

I'm all for just using something that works. That said, I actually deleted my post after reading some reviews on B&H, apparently while you were replying... High ISO is very important to me, so the Sigma body is a non starter. Plus some complained about af...
  15. S

That is odd that it would be so different on identical bodies. My dg did the roulette thing until I sent it to Sigma, has been decent,but not perfect since though. LOL, maybe the art has to be returned to them as well before it works?
  16. S

Before you buy your next prime...

I suppose my strategy is to buy what I want and then sell them later when I find myself not using them. That said, I'm left with a 70-200 is2, 100 L, 24-105L, Sigma 50 DG. LOL, I could probably just go with my least favorite,but most used, the 24-105 and call it a day...
  17. S

6D autofocus capabilites: let's bust some myths about it

6d vs 5d3 af? You get what you pay for. I've owned both. 6d is slower, center point better than 5d3 in low light, outers like an older rebel. Meaning they will work in decent light, but nothing special for sure. Meanwhile the 5d3 af will spoil all but the 1dx users, its almost always a treat...
  18. S

Why does Canon USA not honor consumer product warranties?

I've not been involved except to hear the story, As for any sort of threats or rudeness, the user didn't go down that road. I shared my part here because to me that is the value of boards like this, to share experiences about what is good and what is not so good. I have a couple of bad...
  19. S

Telling the user they are a liar is not a *meaningful* explanation. A *meaningful* explanation would be something like "the reason it zooms to the long end by itself and then you can't control it is because the ____ is broken (or malfunctioning). This typically happens because ____." At a...
  20. S

Yup, there may be better choices than Nikon too. I'm certainly not married to that idea...