Search results

1. E

Opinion: EOS-M transition that never was

Discontinuing EOS-M and the mirrorless transition left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm left with a set of nice little prime lenses but no bodies to use them. I sold most of my L lenses and my 5D bodies and moved to Sony. I feel that Canon sucked me in, took my money, and then ran out the door.
  2. E

The state of third-party lenses for the RF mount, Canon may be involved

Sony endorses Canon's decision! $$$$$
  3. E

Patent: Canon presents some interesting fast zoom lens optical formulas

I'm so glad that Canon finally moved into the mirrorless market so that we can enjoy the benefits of small, lightweight gear.
  4. E

Here are the Canon EOS R7 and Canon EOS R10

It's the only way I would use this camera. The 16mm f/2.8 and 50mm f/1.8 would be all I'd need for travel and more, but neither have IS. It's not the end of the world, but to me it misses the mark as a lightweight affordable travel kit because there's no IS in the lenses or in the body. I'd...
  5. E

Here are the Canon EOS R7 and Canon EOS R10

No in-body stabilization for the R10, a camera very likely to be used with the small unstabilized primes. I'll never understand Canon's stinginess with features. In-body stabilization should be a standard feature of every interchangeable lens camera now, especially when IS is not offered in the...
  6. E

Patent: Canon RF 15-28mm f/4-5.6 IS and other wide angle optical designs

A lot of people should reconsider their lens choices now that high resolution sensors are becoming more common. You may be better served with prime lenses and cropping. My choice for lenses are 20mm and 85mm. A 20mm f/1.4 (or 1.8) is far superior than the zooms and yet can be cropped to 40mm if...
  7. E

That’s all folks, for me anyway. Canon Rumors will live on.

I've been a member and daily visitor for 12 years. It's mostly been fun, with the odd heated exchange. I understand that the time comes for change, so good luck with your next venture!
  8. E

Patent: Canon RF 135mm f/1.4L DS USM optical formula

I'm so glad that I had the foresight to hire a full-time Sherpa to carry my new lightweight mirrorless gear.
  9. E

Patent: Canon continues to develop fast RF prime lens optical formulas

Some high quality lenses to take advantage of small size? Your mirrorless kit ends up as big and heavy as a DSLR kit, or bigger.
  10. E

The Canon EOS R system turns 3 and Lensrentals.com gives us a breakdown of its progression

Canon has done an amazing job, with some truly unique offerings and a lot of promise for the future. But, and it's a big "but," Sony has done better... in every category except some specialty lenses like the new dual fish eye and the f/2 zooms. It's Canon playing catch up now. And I am a Canon fan.
  11. E

Canon Introduces Their First Dual Fisheye Lens for Stereoscopic 3D 180° VR Capture in 8K

The video shows two distinct image circles, and each circle fills less than half of the sensor. Once stitched together, converted to rectilinear and cropped I suspect you'll be probably able to export a 4K image, which is still great.
  12. E

Canon Introduces Their First Dual Fisheye Lens for Stereoscopic 3D 180° VR Capture in 8K

This is what innovation looks like! Looking forward to seeing real world results, but this lens alone could justify choosing the Canon system over the competitors. The creative possibilities seem very enticing.
  13. E

Patent: Canon RF 180mm f/3.5L Macro and Canon RF 200mm f/4L Macro

A lens like one of these is obligatory for Canon on the RF system. And of course very good news for macro lovers. Canon has been doing an outstanding job on their RF L grade lenses, so I expect this will be incredible.
  14. E

A BSI APS-C EOS R camera is coming in the second half of 2022 [CR2]

"Coming in the second half of 2022" With all the recent delays, don't expect this before 2023.
  15. E

Patent: Optical formulas for an RF 28mm f/1.4 and RF 35mm f/1.4

If these lenses get any longer you'll be able to use them as a walking stick.
  16. E

Here is the upcoming Canon XF605 professional camcorder

LOL ... XF200 is 1080p. There's this thing called cropping. You should check it out. It magically turns your 15x 4k footage into 30x zoom 1080p, and with better codecs and dozens of other features. But hey, you've got 20x zoom
  17. E

Here’s confirmation of the RF 100-400, RF 24 Macro and RF 18-45. Sadly, they’re quite delayed

I've been quite happy with the EF-M 11-22 4.5-5.6 IS ... at a fraction of the price of my EF16-35 f/2.8L II and much smaller and lighter. Canon has been pretty good with some of the non-L glass
  18. E

Here’s confirmation of the RF 100-400, RF 24 Macro and RF 18-45. Sadly, they’re quite delayed

If the 18-45 offers the same quality but smaller and cheaper than the 14-35 I'd go for it. I don't need wider than 18mm, but small and light is a priority.
  19. E

Here is the Canon RF 14-35mm f/4L IS USM

I previously posted that I'd prefer a small 18-28 f/2.8 IS, and I'd still prefer that, but the small size and low weight of this f/4 could make me a believer.
  20. E

Canon RF 14-35mm f/4L IS USM to be one of the next lenses announced

The ultra ultrawide is a niche specialty lens. What I'd like is a compact 18-28 f/2.8 IS (or f/4). This could be made quite small and light and covers the basic wide to ultrawide range. Combined with a smallish RF 50mm f/1.4 IS and the RF 70-200 f/2.8 IS would make the perfect do everything kit...