Search results

1. J

Diffuser for Canon 600ex for event

My 2c. Large and small Rogue Flashbender softbox kits are what you want. The large kits are only good when you need to be portable to get onsite, but once onsite you are doing "fixed" type work, where they're on a stand or if you have an assistant to help handle them, they don't go...
  2. J

Ended: Pelican Cases on Amazon

This was the "deal of the day" for part of Saturday @ Amazon. Not sure why this would have been posted today, as it's long gone.
  3. J

cheaper flashes with optical slave to Canon 600 RT

music to my ears thanks guys!
  4. J

I'm gonna take a chance, I ordered two of the $35 Neewer (non-zoom) flashes from amazon to try it out.
  5. J

So I'm looking at Westcott's 7' parabolic, and I have an issue that I don't want to use all three of my 600RTs to power the light inside this big guy. I have a triple shoe adapter, but I was wondering, can I put in a 600EX-RT and two cheaper yongnuo flashes for the other two flashes? Has...
  6. J

Is Adobe CC going to plan?

I'm a "latest version" kind of guy, so while I don't like the idea, it's cheaper to "rent" photoshop for $10 a month, versus a $200 upgrade for each major version. It grates on me, but Adobe is in a special place where people really can't, as a mass, vote with their dollars... people need the...
  7. J

Osprey

NOWHERE nearly as good, but here's my feeble attempt from several years ago. Sigma 150-500 @ 500mm w/ a 5D2.
  8. J

How to use cf and sd cards Mark5d3

I use the CF slot for RAW, and is my primary card. I use the SD slot for JPG, and I keep a Eye-fi in it... the idea is that JPG is there for safety, and when I want to, I can enable the Eye-fi, for iPad previewing during a shoot. I also have the back-screen review set for this card, and have...
  9. J

Stars above.

I'm soooo gonna try that, cool tips/ideas!
  10. J

Lightning Triggers

I kickstarter'd Triggertrap's new hardware based platform, so that's what I'm waiting on for this year. Their new stuff coming out has modules, will do sound/light/lasertrip/motion, all in separate chain able modules. I'm a little confused tho... are light-based triggers fast enough to open...
  11. J

My first panorama - Tetons What did I do wrong?

As others have said, it's better to try the different options in PS rather than picking auto. I've ran into the same thing with it. I actually had one where it tried to do rectilinear stretching on one side, and cylindrical on the other!! One of these days, I'll save up for Autopano Pro just...
  12. J

my iced over car in Mobile, AL (Brenizer Method)

Agreed... I've been working with closer distances and a 9 or 12 frame pano usually... but in this case, I was working from within the warmth of my home, shooting through a kitchen window :D Ideally I should have probably busted out the 50 1.2 for these shots to keep the number of frames down.
  13. J

Here's another B.M. photo I took that was taken at the same time the 39mm above was taken... similar setup, 85mm bunch of frames.
  14. J

Interesting calculator, thanks for linking that! I used an 85 f/1.2II to get the 50+ shots, which works out after counting pixels and inputting to the boxes: Effective focal length 27mm Effective aperture 0.38 (!!!) Sure didn't look THAT narrow of a DoF, but it was a noticeable difference from...
  15. J

Yongnuo YN-14ex Ring Flash

This type of flash (the RoundFlash) is really more of a beauty dish as-is actually... it's a very thick ring of light, think of a large donut. The manufacturer actually promotes its' use on a stand as a fill light. Also, B&H now directly sells this device.
  16. J

I watched the Brenizer video, and have been trying out this method, in preparation for actually using it on people. It's tricky to do this type of pano by hand IMO. 85mm @ f/1.2, 51 images.
  17. J

Deal: Canon 6D (body only)

That's amazon's regular price right now as well. That's actually *up* from the ~$1500 prices it was at recently... yeah I been shopping :)
  18. J

Reco for on flash diffuser

Depending on the size/girth you want to deal with, I can heartily recommend the Rogue Flashbender products... the small size is good for on-camera diffusion, and I actually have two of the XL kits for on-stand work. Hopefully this link will work for everyone, this was a wedding I did last fall...
  19. J

Why Scott Kelby Switched to Canon

Boy, there's some SERIOUS hate and bickering in this thread. Kelby isn't my favorite trainer/expert/talking-head by any stretch, but I believe that his reasons were sound. The skin tones, review speed, ergonomics are CRITICAL when you're doing sports photography... you don't have time to 'shop...
  20. J

In-Depth Review: Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC

GREAT review, thanks greatly for the time taken to write it.