Search results

1. S

Patent: Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 IS STM

so far, we have seen superfast USM and slower STM lenses. But technically, STM tech could be as fast as USM, still with the possibility to slow down when needed. I guess wildlife videographers would really love an STM tele lens...
  2. S

Who's Ready for a 100x Zoom PowerShot?

f/9 and an optical blow-up formula (focal length of 340mm but only a 165mm total lens length)... This must result in high shutter speeds and superb image quality! Oh wait... you cant cheat physics.
  3. S

Adobe Announces Photoshop & Lightroom for $9.99/mth

what about a LR only thingy for $2.50, sorry 2.49 per month? THAT would be a deal!
  4. S

Internal Zooming Standard Zoom

Or the new sigma 18-35 f/1.8 DC for crop sensors.
  5. S

How to clean lenses ?

i'm much more shocked what the tamron woman tells - any beverage with 50% methanol in it is an insta-blind ;)
  6. S

How to clean lenses ?

not long ago, over at thephoblographer.com, they asked the industry experts this question: http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/07/25/industry-experts-weigh-in-can-you-clean-a-lens-with-vodka/ Summary: Better drink your vodka and use isopropyl
  7. S

Need daily lens suggestion

Also other reviewers like Lenstip are very favourable about this lens. This Sigma lens is actually my next investment. For "general purpose" i'd couple it either with a 24-105L or the 85 f/1.8. The 24-105 is indeed not very wide on a crop, but it's quality glass and together with a flash I...
  8. S

Best setup for falling stars

Last week I did two night sessions with the 600D and the tokina 11-16. I chose ISO 1600 (too much color noise in the area where some light pollution slightly brightens the sky, next time i'll set 800), f/2.8 and 30sec. With some PP i got nice time lapse movies. I caught some falling stars, and...
  9. S

Timelaspe climb to Moleson at night (swiss alp)

Nice video! Last summer, I was in the Almagellerhütte, we did the Zwischbergenpass and we were the only ones that did NOT get up at 4 AM to ascend the Weissmies. Well, when 10 out of 12 people in a room get up... I took the opportunity and got up too, and took some nice pictures. Tokina 11-16...
  10. S

You Get What You Pay For - Warning for EOS M Adapter

As this adapter is probably plastics only, a fret saw might do the job. On the other hand, some WD40, applied to the release button, might help. Just be cautious to not spill any on the rear element of the 17-40. Some blotting paper might help. If you chose the first option: take some pictures ;)
  11. S

You know, sometimes, when one is tired...

... darn! it seems quite like i left the memory card in the laptop...
  12. S

External HD Question

A full backup works as long as your catalog does not exceed the stoage size of your system. If this is the case, my previously mentioned solution is the best thing I can think of as it still offers the option to browse all your work, at least if you are somehow connected to your NAS.
  13. S

External HD Question

You talk about general backup solutions. This is not what i mean, because a huge 100k pictures LR catalog does not fit on a 500GB drive ;) I would like to have in lightroom an option to "relocate" old stuff to a NAS without kicking it out of the catalog, but that is currently not easy to achieve...
  14. S

External HD Question

For reliability, any single drive solution (like your backup plan) are prone to fail, or better said, if they fail, everything is lost. A 5-8 disc NAS would be much safer, and offers a bit more storage space. In your situation, i would use a "current work" LR catalog on the laptop (should work...
  15. S

Wide angle lens' for crop sensor camera

If f/2.8 is important (astro/lowlight), then the tokina is the best choice, i bought recently the old version because the improvements are not worth the extra 200CHF (slightly better flare control, faster AF). The canon is maybe a bit sharper, i'd get that if the speed is not that important.
  16. S

Macro gear suggestions for 5DIII?

I own the siggy 150mm OS, its a nice piece of glass, although rather on the heavier side. The added reach is quite nice, the only real down of the lens is the focus breathing. I asked sigma for exact numbers, 118mm@1:3 and 78mm@1:1. Due to physics, the 100L should not be much better.
  17. S

Bokeh: better f/2.8 wide open than f/1.4 stopped down?

Math is always nice, but these calcs are actually physics! Maths does not deal with such... "applicable" problems ;) I need that app! details please!
  18. S

What is the best Raw Converter for EOS M?

from a technical point of view, i'd say all programs are about the same. some do this adjustment better, some another. But i think three things more import than the actual output on a single file: Workflow Organizing content user interface I can only talk about DPP and Lightroom, and DPP...
  19. S

Next purchase?

If you want a real low light improvement, then f/2.8 is not enough. I have 2 suggestions: [list type=decimal] Siggy 18-35 f/1.8 & Canon 85 f/1.8 The latter is a very impressing lens on a crop, the CA's can easily be corrected in post. The first one is probably the next lens I get, the reviews...
  20. S

Indoor Lens recommendations?

For range, nothing beats the 70-200. Either the Canon IS II, or then, based on reviews, the newest from tamron. Maybe such a lens is too long. My 150mm lens is superb for portraits (head only) at a distance of some 4-5 meters. On the other hand, the sigma 18-35 f/1.8 seems very promising, and...