Search results

1. AlanF

Save big on refurbished Canon IS binoculars

One of the group of Lenstip sites does thorough reviews of binoculars. Their latest is of the Canon 10x30 IS ii https://www.allbinos.com/index.php?test=lornetki&test_l=379 Of the 1000's of birdwatchers I have personally seen carrying binoculars, I have never come across one with a Canon IS pair...
  2. AlanF

Canon RF 24mm f/1.4L USM and RF 50mm f/1.4L USM coming in Q4 as part of a "hybrid family" of L prime lenses

No criticism of your choice of where to go was intended, and I was also surprised at the irony of it all. We stayed at a mega hotel complex in Tenerife that had its own nature park and they arranged astronomy activities with an expert at nights. We also have had a great trip to a similar hotel...
  3. AlanF

Canon RF 24mm f/1.4L USM and RF 50mm f/1.4L USM coming in Q4 as part of a "hybrid family" of L prime lenses

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68865755
  4. AlanF

A fourth unreleased Canon camera has appeared for certification

Reminds me of my old friend Kappa Cornforth who used to write very amusing limericks about chemists and chemistry including one which had something along the lines of "a chemist who slid down a staircase that was spiral and ended up with an *rs* that was chiral".
  5. AlanF

BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

It's common Kestrel.
  6. AlanF

Thanks Oskar and ISv!
  7. AlanF

MAP Camera: Nikon takes top spots

They both came out 3-4 years ago and are well beyond peak sales.
  8. AlanF

Butterflies, Moths and Assorted Insects...

First Speckled Wood Butterfly of the year for me (R5.100-500).
  9. AlanF

Canon EOS R1 and EOS R5 Mark II marketing and training has begun with preferred retailers

I saw Blow-Up over 50 years ago so I know what the pros get up to. Blow-Up (1966) IMDb https://www.imdb.com › title A successful mod photographer in London whose world is bounded by fashion, pop music, marijuana, and easy sex, feels his life is boring and despairing.
  10. AlanF

It's my birthday today and to see whether I am still up to diff BIF here is a Eurasian Robin coming straight at my R5 and RF 100-500mm and Great Tit across.
  11. AlanF

Canon releases a full frame 19MP Global shutter sensor to Market

To testify that you were indeed sceptical in advance, you had posted this: So, thanks for your appraisal - it's always good to hear direct experience.
  12. AlanF

Why did you switch to RF?

And your RF 200-800mm doesn't fit on it.
  13. AlanF

Canon releases firmware updates for 5 telephoto RF lenses

Dawn is too early for me, and dusk is a good time for a drink so no worries.
  14. AlanF

ps, I have dug out the measured sharpness of the Sigma 500/5.6 on websites that do IMATEST. https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/sigma-500mm-f56-dg-dn-os-sports On the 61 Mpx A7Riv, the Sigma at f/5.6 gives 3,900 lines, which is less than the Sony FE 200-600mm with 4,000 lines at 600mm f/6.3. The...
  15. AlanF

The A7R5 has a maximum fps in mechanical shutter mode of only 10 fps - if that's good enough for you, that is fine. However, I would recommend when you go over to Sony that you go for the A1 - it's the one up there with the Z8 and R5 for high resolution action and birds in flight. The Nikon Z...
  16. AlanF

Show your Bird Portraits

Babies are always cute in their parents eyes so careful of what you say!
  17. AlanF

Thank you for your reply, which I appreciate, and we are in agreement.
  18. AlanF

I agree that if you feel you need a wide lens for dawn and dusk then it is your right for you so to do and it is the solution for you. I disagree with your use of “overrated“ and have pointed out the lack of logic in its use. I do not like your criterion of what is serious photography as it is...
  19. AlanF

I am a lightweight hobbyist and don't claim to be doing any serious photography. What you consider to be serious photography is your own definition, and thank you for providing it. I absolutely never suggested or implied in any way whatsoever that the 100-500 is on a par with the £68,000 Canon...
  20. AlanF

What do you define as "serious" wildlife work? I think most would agree that the guys shooting the David Attenborough Blue Planet, Planet Earth and Mammals series are doing serious work. They use gyro-stabilised cameras mounted on helicopters, digital cine cameras, high-speed cameras etc and...