Search results

1. wsmith96

Question for the 80D owners

Normally I’m the odd duck with hardware, but I find that I like the image quality of my 60D better than that of my 80D. I use both to shoot high school volleyball and football and I’m finding that the 80d image quality looks mushy at 3200 iso compared to my 60D. I’m not home right now, but...
  2. wsmith96

Can anyone tell me what camera Natalie Amrossi is holding in her picture?

Hey all, I was looking on canons learning site and reading up on their instructors when I noticed a camera, held by Natalie Amrossi,that didn’t look like a dslr but has a lens on it that looks like a 24-105. The link to the page is here...
  3. wsmith96

A new bag from Canon?

I saw this today and thought it was pretty nice looking. Unfortunately not many details, but nice to see Canon bringing out a bag with an updated style. Looks to ship on the 6/13. https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/dark-gray-street-messenger-bag-for-camera-gear If you are in the...
  4. wsmith96

Canon's Recent Refurb Sale Observation

I found that the lens selections Canon put on sale on their refurb site are very similar to the rumors we are hearing about. Here's what they have on sale: 70-300 IS USM 24-105 IS USM 50 1.4 USM 85 1.8 USM 17-40 USM We've been talking about an updated FF non L zoom, a lens update that might...
  5. wsmith96

And I always thought I'd never see a red ring EF-S lens

hmmm....I suspect something fishy here. ;D http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EF-S-15-85mm-F-3-5-5-6-IS-USM-Lens-/262332083982?hash=item3d1435ef0e:g:~dsAAOSwoudW5EvI
  6. wsmith96

Need advice on lighting setup to mimic these photographs

I'm shooting my daughter's orchestra portrait for our family and I was looking at examples out on the interwebs. I found this site http://jenniferbrindleyphotography.com/blog/promotional-images-milwaukee-orchestra-margot-violin that has the look that I'm wanting to recreate. In particular...
  7. wsmith96

EF 24-70 F2.8 Mk I

I've been looking at a used 24-70, but wanted to ask the forum if there is enough significant difference between them to pursue the Mk ii. I would mainly use this lens for general and low light general photography- no weddings. For those who have used both, how would you compare the two...
  8. wsmith96

DXO One

I guess the DXO One isn't doing well. B&H has it on their one day sale for $399 - $200 off list. That was fast. Did anyone consider buying it when it came out? I would have rather put money into a FLIR camera for my smartphone.
  9. wsmith96

6D autofocus anomaly

I was out today shooting birds in the front yard using a 6D and a 100-400MkII. I had the camera set to the center autofocus point. When aiming the center AF point at a branch I set up for the birds to perch on, I couldn't get a consistent lock when the AF point was directly on the branch...
  10. wsmith96

Snagged some new gear :)

My patience paid off for me this year. I normally invest in good glass, but stay a little behind on the camera to save some money on my hobby. The sales this November have been great, so over the weekend purchased a 6D to replace my 5D and I picked up a 100-400 Mk II, both from the refurb...
  11. wsmith96

New Gear Resolutions for 2015 - Check in just for fun

Earlier in the year, Mackguyver posted a topic called New Gear Resolutions for 2015. (http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=24541.0) This is a follow up to that post to see how everyone did. Here's what I had listed: My new gear's resolution is the following: Upgrade my EF-S 60...
  12. wsmith96

Amazon Prime members can get Photoshop Elements 14 for $39.99 at checkout.

for those who are interested.
  13. wsmith96

Bhphoto selling DXO Optics Pro 10 Elite for $119

for those interested. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/dealZone.jsp?utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=DealZone&utm_source=DealZone%20151012&utm_content=Retail&utm_term=DxO-OpticsPro-10-DXOP10E
  14. wsmith96

Advice on 300mm F2.8 L

I'm considering purchasing a 300mm f2.8 lens to add to my kit for sports. I'd like to know if there are any users out there using the mk I version. If so, what do you think of it compared to the mk II version. This lens will be used on both crop and ff cameras. I'm not opposed to used or...
  15. wsmith96

My kids have thwarted my upgrade plans

*Sigh*.... I ended up in a dilemma that is pretty cool. Typically with any hobby gear of mine, I upgrade over time using the proceeds from the sale of my previous equipment. I think that most of us do that here on this forum. But, a year ago the adult photography group leader of our local...
  16. wsmith96

Yet another "what would you do" question

Hey all - hope all is well with you. At work we have a recognition system that awards points for performance. You can redeem your points on an internal rewards webpage, which happens to have some canon gear. I've accumulated approximately 3650 points. Of what's available, this is what...
  17. wsmith96

New Extension Tubes from Canon?

I was shopping a Borrow Lenses 20% off sale and picked up a Extension Tube EF 25 II. I compared the price to Amazon prior to purchase and they show that it has been discontinued. Not that extension tubes are that exciting, but does anyone know if there are new versions on the way, or did...
  18. wsmith96

Raya 24" x 24" softbox for $35 from B&H

I just received mine from B&H and the quality is pretty good for the price. I wanted to post for those in the market for an inexpensive softbox for a speedlight. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1032767-REG/raya_raya_efs_24_easy_fold.html
  19. wsmith96

My New "L"

I just received my second "L" lens. Nothing sexy, at least for the audience here, but I needed a standard zoom to compliment my used 5D. Just received a new 24-105L for $650. I'm impressed with the build quality and am excited to give it a workout this weekend. It's a white box, but that's...
  20. wsmith96

Senior Portait Critique

This past weekend I helped a friend out by taking some senior pictures of her son. She wasn't happy with the portraits that she had already paid for from another photographer, so I said I would help her out. I was up front in telling her that I haven't really done any portrait work other than...