Search results

1. D

Industry News: Sony Introduces the High-resolution A7R IV with World’s First 61.0 MP Back-illuminated, Full-frame Image Sensor

Canon is falling behind. Sony moves forward at a crazy pace. What will the ILC market look like in five years? I can't even imagine.
  2. D

Canon Sends Invitation to Dealers for Major Mirrorless Presentation Next Month

Over-the-top reaction. Increasing market share doesn't always mean Canon has no bleeding to stop. If they lose customers who are buying heavily into a brand, which does happen, then gaining market share for a camera body with kit lens may not mean as much. Financially this isn't good for Canon...
  3. D

Canon Sends Invitation to Dealers for Major Mirrorless Presentation Next Month

No reason to look back. Sony sensor tech pushed me away from Canon. Canon just needs to stop the bleeding. So many are tied to a brand (for good reason when you have a lot invested) that just releasing a FF mirrorless in the current M6 body would be good enough to help slow any of us that have...
  4. D

Sony does it again, A7 II with 5-axis in-body stabilization

Plenty of reviewers will be excited. I think this is progress and that is great. Canon's biggest problem is creating a mirrorless segment without killing their DSLR line.
  5. D

1DX Replacement

Yes I do. Very fortunate. I have put it through a high school basketball game so I will allow that to qualify as poor light albeit not a dark setting. Autofocus is amazing. Quality of images seen from my 5Diii and 1DX are very similar. A little less noise on the 1DX files but nothing I would...
  6. D

1DX Replacement

Best camera I have ever used. I really wondered if having a 5Diii was going to set me up for a less excited feeling. Not the case. While both cameras seem to give me same photo quality, there is no doubt AI Servo is a MONSTER on the 1DX. 12 FPS where 10 out of 12 frames are sharp, wow! Too many...
  7. D

Canon 300mm f4 L lens for sports photography?

The only time that lens will work on a football field is on sunny days and very well lit fields at night. During the day, at a college (SEC) football game, I did use my 70-200 ii IS 2.8 with a 1.4iii TC. No problems. Bump the ISO up to 400 or 800 and get great photos. On the 7D, same goes for...
  8. D

Canon 17-40mm & ND filter

The 17-40L is my daytime long exposure landscape lens. I use the Lee filter system and I use the Lee Big Stopper. I can't say enough about the lens and filter system. http://www.flickr.com/photos/25244882@N04/8463903662/#
  9. D

1DX Replacement

My 1DX will arrive tomorrow. I can't wait 12 months to hope to get a camera that I need now. I am stoked!
  10. D

Review: Canon EOS 17-40 f/4L by DxO Mark

I love this lens. It is worth mentioning that at one time it was the cheapest L lens you could purchase. This lens is my go to landscape and daytime long exposure lens. Lightweight and wide. Yes, the corners are not great but it is an essential lens for my bag.
  11. D

Magic Lantern adds 1/3-1/2 stop of dynamic range - just like that.

Re: Magic Lantern adds 1/2 stop of dynamic range - just like that. Does anyone think Canon is reading this stuff because I am baffled as to why they would cut shot the DR and cheat on RAW's with fast lenses.
  12. D

Canon 6D Review: 1+ Year Hands-On [video review]

I do have a question. I noticed many of your photos had been shot at an ISO of 50. Do you see much difference between 50 and 100?
  13. D

Why Scott Kelby Switched to Canon

This guy is blowing smoke just to be nice to Nikon. Just say it was because the AF and FPS rock for sports. It's ok to be honest! Ergonomics... Felt like it was designed by Apple...
  14. D

Canon 6D Review: 1+ Year Hands-On [video review]

Graham, excellent review! Excellent photographs too! I am glad to see someone else finds the 17-40L a great landscape lens. It is my goto long exposure landscape lens along with the Lee filter system. Excellent work!
  15. D

Just got 5D MK III. What do I check?

I would do a long exposure of a blue sky at f/11 and see if any dark spots show up. That would be a dirty sensor. While not something to return the camera back for but you could get a sensor wet cleaned before you get started on the journey.
  16. D

Is the 7d still a good body?

The usual stuff form a camera released in 2009. High ISO imaging stinks and please use me in good lighting. It is a "good" camera in 2014 but is do to be put out to pasture so why buy five year old technology? When I am on the field at a football game, a lot of "professionals" have 60D's...
  17. D

Is the 7d still a good body?

I would slap a DO NOT BUY label on it as it is time for an upgrade. If you are shooting sports in daylight, it is a good camera. I nit pick the AF system a bit but understand I compare it to a 5D iii. I use a 7D to compliment a 5D iii to photograph football.
  18. D

Refurbished Canon bodies

What is the track record with official refurbished Canon camera bodies from the Canon Refurbished store? Specifically 1D-X, 5Diii bodies. I know they come with a 1 year warranty. I am more interested in how they hold up over time compared to new bodies.
  19. D

Best HDR Software?

I know I am late to the game here but I use NIK's plugin for Aperture. Easy, to the point, well done software.
  20. D

Deal: EOS 5D Mark III $2549

That is a great deal! A 1D body is next on my list but if that price gets much lower, it will be hard for me to not think really hard about a second 5Diii.