Search results

1. F

Broncolor Derivative

I recently encountered an old pack/heads system at a camera show that used Broncolor sockets for attaching the heads to the pack. The owner told me that it was made in France a while ago. I can't remember the name of the manufacturer. In my head it starts with "Godo...", but all I can think of...
  2. F

What was your first L lens?

24-105 in a 5D2 kit. Then 70-200 IS mk1, 50L, 24L. L is a drug...
  3. F

Which lens to go with

Mark I is just fine as long as you don't shoot at 200mm 2.8. Very unsharp. And the weight is a big factor. At first I thought that I was a built guy and the weight wouldn't be a problem, but handholding it for a 3h long show made me think otherwise.
  4. F

Canon to Offer Global Shutter for 2.5k Video on an Upcoming DSLR? [CR1]

It's a purely video thing. The global shutter is the opposite of the rolling shutter. In live view, the physical shutter doesn't move, so the sensor scans the scene 24 or 30 times a second to create frames. With a rolling shutter, the sensor scans from top to bottom, creating a distortion...
  5. F

Patent: Canon 11-24mm f/4 Lens

"Image height Y = 21.64mm" This is for APS-C sensors, no? Replacement for EF-S 11-22mm 4-5.6 maybe?
  6. F

Adobe Lightroom for iPad Coming Soon

99$ per annum? LR5 is 149$ one-time for PC... I don't understand this pricing.
  7. F

Issues with yongnuo yn-622c flash triggers?

There is no fix for this. It is made this way. Since the 622C relays all information coming from the hotshoe, it relays the commands given by the camera also. If you want to adjust your settings, go to the external flash function settings menu item under one of the yellow tabs (I forgot which...
  8. F

50$ monolights

Hey folks, I just received wind from Adorama that they launched some new monolights. Price is ridiculously low, starting at 50$ for a 120Ws model. There's gotta be a catch somewhere I figure. I almost feel like trying a couple out just to see what they really are. I mean, for 50$ each...
  9. F

Sleeper Lenses?

Kind of a sleeper on the Internet because of its age, but certainly not a sleeper in the real world, the 70-200 2.8 IS Mark I. I picked one up for 1200$ the other day and I was simply amazed by it. Sure, it's not as sharp as the Mk II at 200/2.8 and the AF isn't as blistering fast, but it...
  10. F

5D Mark II composition movement

I shoot the Mark II also, and I had slight issues like this before, but I learned to live with it. I thought that it was because of the 98% viewfinder coverage that does not show me the entire frame. I shot with a T3i/600D before with 95% coverage and found the problem to be more apparent.
  11. F

24-70mm f4 vs 24-105mm f4 (video + still)

Parfocal lenses only maintain focus from tele to wide for the simple reason that on the wide end, for the same aperture, the DoF is deeper. If the image is in focus with a thinner DoF, it will be on a deeper one, but the opposite is often not true. Notice that if you zoom to 105 on the 24-105...
  12. F

EF mount vs F mount and adapter

Hello, guys. I'm really looking into the Samyang/Bower/Rokinon manual lenses and I was wondering if there was any disadvantages in using a 35$ F to EF mount adapter from B&H and getting the Nikon F mount version of the lens. The reason behind this is that I have old Nikon film cameras and it...
  13. F

Recommendations for a friend

If possible, new T3i and 50 1.8. This lens is simply amazing, both on crop and full frame, and I'm sure you have heard all about it from so many Canon shooters so I wont repeat hehe.
  14. F

Recommendations for light meter?

A bit off topic here, but I've been having trouble exposing with Velvia 50 film because of the narrow dynamic range. Will a good light meter help me or the metering inside a digital camera like the 5D2 is good enough? Thanks!
  15. F

Canon 85mm f/1.8 vs Other L and non-L Canon Primes

85 1.8, 100L, and 85L, I've used all three, though I don't own any. Three fantastic lenses if put in the right hands and the right budget. The 85 1.8 is the best bang for your buck, that's for sure at 359$ right now at B&H. But some people have more bucks than others and that's where the 85L...
  16. F

Manfrotto 055 vs 190, 498 vs 496

Thanks for the quick feedback guys! The L-plate thing is not a bad point at all. Never thought about it. But at the same time, I'll be losing a lot of flexibility when doing landscapes... Photography is all about trade-offs...
  17. F

Manfrotto 055 vs 190, 498 vs 496

Hey folks, I'm in the market for a decent tripod without breaking the bank. Since I made the switch to full frame, everything is heavier and my old Manfrotto compact just doesn't cut it anymore. Now I have a few options in front of me: the 055XPROB vs the 190XPROB and the 498RC2 vs the 496RC2...
  18. F

Educate me about why 70mm <> 70mm...

It could be the reasons you listed, but it could also be the fact that the same distance from the subject is not at the same spot on the lenses' focussing distances. On the 24-70 it might be at halfway between macro and infinity but on the 70-200 it will surely be closer to its closest focussing...
  19. F

Yongnuo flash sync

Hi, I currently have a 600EX-RT that I use with my yongnuo YN-622C triggers and they work great. I am wondering if the YN 560 II flashes will be controllable from my 5D2 through more YN-622C units (I still work on full manual), or is it only the twice as expensive YN-565EX that work that way...
  20. F

Do other lenses compete with the "look" of L primes?

So true. Zeiss 85 is an amazing piece of glass right up there with the 85L, at half the price. Pair that with the super-precision focussing screen and you're good to go, if you have a 5D2 or a 6D that is. But even with the regular finder it's not a challenge to manually focus if you practice.