Search results

1. D

Canon G3X Mark II

I love my G3 X and it's my most frequently used camera apart from my phone. (And I have a 5D4 with full set of lenses, etc.) I'm eagerly looking forward to a new superzoom bridge offering from Canon, but I'm also not optimistic. An update to the Sony RX10 is likely in my future given this state...
  2. D

Canon USA: Canon Professional Services

I haven't watched the video, but when you try to sign up, even for silver level, the terms and conditions (dating from 2014) still say pro is required. :-( " Canon Professional Services Program Terms and Conditions: SILVER MEMBERSHIP - Updated as of January 18, 2014 1. Membership is available...
  3. D

Another Mention of Big White Lens Revisions [CR1]

Price (cost) reductions are what's needed on these lenses most of all!
  4. D

Ended: DJI Phantom 3 4K Drone $599 (Reg $999)

Re: Deal: DJI Phantom 3 4K Drone $599 (Reg $999) THANKS! ;D
  5. D

Sachtler FSB-8T Fluid Head-has anybody use them for long telephoto

I have one, bought from serious birder that was getting out of the hobby. He used a 600 or 800 on it. Bought it as "the best for such lenses, money no object". I got a decent deal, but have never managed the stretch to get a 600 to put on it. It's a decent bit of kit, but I can't vouch for its...
  6. D

Memory Cards for Canon 5D mk3

Good answers above. It's futile (and expensive) to try to future-proof card purchases. Just ride the technology wave of the higher-but-not-top end. Don't pay premiums for the very latest. Excepting currency/economy fluctuations, cards tend to be cheaper when you come to upgrade anyway. The 5D3...
  7. D

Update on Lightroom 2015.2 / Lightroom 6.2 Release

Used the new import dialog on LR CC tonight for the first time. UTTERLY CONFUSING!! :-(
  8. D

Hummingbird in infrared

Good to see you still experimenting, Joseph! I miss your macros, which inspired me to do things like https://500px.com/photo/113571757/cardinal-meadowhawk-closeup. For IR, probably the best "creature" shot I've got is https://500px.com/photo/43699048/honeybee-on-sedum-in-infrared. But after...
  9. D

Canon PowerShot G3 X Now Shipping

Or $0 -- since I already have a bundled one that came with the M3 that I hardly use anyway. Nice! :-)
  10. D

Had a chat with a Sony rep

Not mine, but this photo is pretty clear on compressed RAW issues for one scenario that I care about, astro: http://diglloyd.com/blog/2014/20140214_1-SonyA7-artifacts-star-trails.html I could believe this isn't an issue in general photography without such extreme contrast situations.
  11. D

Another Premium PowerShot This Summer [CR1]

I'm confused. Isn't the next thing obviously going to be the G17?
  12. D

Canon Makes the PowerShot G3 X Official

Haters gonna hate. This looks very good to me. I'm exactly in the market for a "top quality superzoom" to complement my other kit and replace an aging SX30 for stills-only. I never use EVF. I do use my Speedlites on my compacts (G-series). I do like the common user interfaces across Canon...
  13. D

Relaunch of >500mm lenses?

I don't mean to be sarcastic (there's too much of that here), but you say that and he's trying to throw doubt on his primary competitor's lenses?
  14. D

OK, lets get down to the nitty gritty question everyone has with the Eos-M3....

Op/Tech Cam Strap - QD for me! Inexpensive, simple, effective. The elastic neoprene style may not be for everyone. Previously I used a generic nylon weave non-elastic style wrist strap on my compact cams. I'm not sure which I prefer at this point. I like the quick release on the Op/Tech --...
  15. D

Hands-on with the Canon EOS M3

I went the same route as archiea, following along on the really helpful (if sometimes nit-picky) community -- M3 by one of the well-rated Japan eBay sellers. Also completed my original M1 kit (which I immediately converted to IR as planned all along) with the 11-22 and 55-250. Really great...
  16. D

When I'm Dead and Gone ...

Seems appropriate: I met a traveller from an antique land Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand, Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown, And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command, Tell that its sculptor well those passions...
  17. D

6D or 5DMK3 for Astrophotography.... thoughts?

6D and a selection of the Korean manual lenses (Samyang/Rokinon/Bower) would be a good upgrade from your current kit *for astro*. Skip the zoom. The 5D3 performance (non-sensor) is unnecessary in that application, and people claim the 6D is slightly better in low light anyway. However, if...
  18. D

canon 6D weather damage

Face facts - experience has shown it will likely get worse and then die. You can't prevent or predict this. "Repair" wil be expensive and likely unreliable too. You should acquire a spare for your trip, or ideally, get a replacement now. This happened to me on my 7D while on a rare Hawaii trip...
  19. D

Canon CPS Requirements

Personally, I have not been prepared to lie about this, since the US criteria are clear. I hope it changes (again) one day, since they've made good business from this amateur! :P