Search results

1. M

Review: How Did Zeiss Go Backwards With the Milvus 15mm f/2.8?

Since I mostly use it for astro, I have no need for a zoom. But the hard infinity stop makes focusing at night a no brainer. Like any lens, its a tool for a purpose.
  2. M

Review: How Did Zeiss Go Backwards With the Milvus 15mm f/2.8?

I have a previous model of the 15mm f2.8 and its a gem. Sharp across the entire frame and a beauty to use. ** Edit: When I say previous model, I'm referring to the Distagon - same optical layout as the Milvus **
  3. M

Robots to Hand Polishing: 10 Facts From Canon's L Lens Factory

Re: noise and 'feel' Indeed. Going back 30 years I used to make telescopes (reflectors) and there was a feel and sound of the polishing lap that you would tune into. Ah, yes, I'd forgotten about such things..... :)
  4. M

CF corrupt card - Lexar Pro 1000x 32GB

Plan A (help from my friend) didn't work. I have downloaded PhotoRec, but an issue is, the CF card can't be seen on my computer (Windows 10). So PhotoRec doesn't show the card to be worked on. Do I take it that the card is really dead?
  5. M

Thanks for the info and offer privatebydesign. There's a few options to try to extract the data, which we will try on the weekend. I'll post the good, the bad or the ugly, after the weekends effort ;)
  6. M

Thanks for the suggestions. While I work in an IT Support role (software), I happen to mention the issue to someone I work with (in hardware) and he apparently has a knack for extracting data from dead, or near dead devices. So this weekend we will try that approach first, as a Plan A. There is...
  7. M

Hi, Halfway through day 2 of a holiday to Cradle Mountain (a national park in Tasmania, Australia), under trying conditions (rain and snow), my 5D3 reported an issue with the CF card (could not read it). I discovered that the CF card would not respond to the camera. I don't have a card reader...
  8. M

Useless lenses you fell in love with

The Zeiss 15mm I have, for the amount I paid, is lucky to be used once a month. But, when you need that UWA lens effect, it makes up for lack of use :)
  9. M

Creative post-processing – before & after

Yep, its been an issue with my photos on Google Photos. They made a change to how images are "shared" 18 months ago and its been a nightmare of disappearing images since. Oddly, Googling for an answer gave me "solutions", which don't seem to work :/
  10. M

Wide-angle Astro - 14mm vs. 35mm

Thanks chrysoberyl. Yes, using the Zeiss 15mm. While its a rather expensive lens, for night shots, it makes life very easy, as it has a hard infinity stop. I simply have to turn the focus until it stops and I know its in focus. I was impressed that Lightroom stitched the images together very...
  11. M

Wide-angle Astro - 14mm vs. 35mm

I don't normally stitch, as I find the 15mm wide enough for most night sky shots. But, on occasion I do with the 15mm, and it gives me a good 180 degree view. This one was a 3 shot pic and stitch. I was fairly generous with the overlap. To get the same with a 35mm is going to mean lots of images.
  12. M

Deep Sky Astrophotography

Love the image :)
  13. M

Deep Sky Astrophotography

Ah, that bought back memories. 30 years ago, as a hobby, I used to make telescopes (reflectors). I started to make a Ritchey-Cretien but never finished it. I still have the primary (with hole cut) and roughly ground to the shape I needed (done with a diamond edged lens cutting wheel - used on a...
  14. M

Milky Way

I used to use the merge tool in PS. But since LR has this feature, and it generally works fine for what I need.
  15. M

Milky Way

Thanks rpt. Its the Large and Small Magellanic Cloud. I'm in Australia and these are southern sky objects. Essentially, two satellite galaxies of the Milky Way.
  16. M

Milky Way

No geo lock. But, I just went into this post and I couldn't see the image either. If I start another tab and log into Google Photos, the image then appears in this page. For some reason, it only shows when I'm logged in. I'll try to sort it out tonight.
  17. M

Milky Way

Hi meywd, It appears for me now. I did go into Google Photos and tweak the "sharing" options. In theory at least, the image should be available to anyone. I'll have to look into this aspect of Google Photos, because its becoming really annoying, just to have the ability to quickly share images...
  18. M

Milky Way

Hi Lion rock, I used the merge tool in Lightroom. There's an option to trim (crop) the image, but I quite like the appearance, plus it shows more of the image. Cheers, Nick
  19. M

Milky Way

3 pic pano of the southern night sky, taken near Thredbo (a ski resort town in Australia) Canon 5D3 with Zeiss 15mm 30 seconds @ f2.8 ISO 6400 Tweaked in Lightroom (hopefully it shows, as I've been having issues with Google Photos)
  20. M

Have most now forsaken the 5dMk3 and jumped on to the Mk4?

I'm still happy with the 5D3. The upgrade cost down here in Australia is around $5,000 so, as a hobby, I won't be upgrading just yet. In some respects, if I did buy another body, it would be along the lines of a high mp body such as the 5DR for landscape/macro work.