Search results

1. M

CF corrupt card - Lexar Pro 1000x 32GB

Hi, Halfway through day 2 of a holiday to Cradle Mountain (a national park in Tasmania, Australia), under trying conditions (rain and snow), my 5D3 reported an issue with the CF card (could not read it). I discovered that the CF card would not respond to the camera. I don't have a card reader...
  2. M

RRS gimbal head question.

I'm looking at getting a 600mm f4 lens later this year. In preparation, I'm looking at buying a Gitzo tripod (I'll stick with Gitzo, simply because I have a Gitzo tripod and monopod already). Regarding the tripod head, after looking through previous posts, I've settled on the RRS PG-02 FG full...
  3. M

Picked up a new 24mm f1.4L II today

The price at the local camera store was too tempting, and I'd been hanging out for 6 months to get one. The other "trigger" point was I'll be in NY in a few weeks, and my current lens collection jumped from 15mm to 40mm or so. This one slots in nicely :) Playing with it last night, the short...
  4. M

5D3 and mirror lockup with TC-80n3

I'm not sure if this is possible, but, on the 5D3, taking a photo with mirror lockup is a 2 step affair - pressing the shutter button flips the mirror up, pressing the button a second time takes the picture. Is it possible to lock the mirror up once and take subsequent shots after that? I'm...
  5. M

White balance, how to determine?

I was out taking a few pics the other day of our local wild flowers. It was late in the day, with less than an hour of sun. So, there was a touch of red in the light. While taking this pic (a Field Daisy) I wondered what techniques others have taken to establish a white balance in the field. The...
  6. M

Transporting of tripod/monopod (overseas travel)

Hi, I've booked in for a photography workshop in Canada, early next March, and I'm planning on taking my Gitzo GT2541 tripod and Gitzo GM2541 monopod. Since they are both carbon fiber, I'm aware of the fact that such materials, while strong, can be affected by side impacts or crushing. So my...
  7. M

500mm or 600mm lens on a monopod.

While I'm planning on buying a 600mm lens in the next 6 months, my current 300mm (plus, on occasion, the 1.4x TC) with a gripped 5D3 feels okay on a monopod (for birding/wildlife). However, not having used a 600mm before, is the monopod approach still ideal for such a large lens, or am I...
  8. M

Stars above.

Mid winter, southern hemisphere night sky. 5D3 with Zeiss 15mm 30 seconds @ f2.8 ISO 1600
  9. M

Quick release plates: RRS v's Manfrotto

I've been looking into tripods / ball heads for the past few weeks, trying to decide which one would suit my needs. This recent thread: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=14209.0 (Help me finalize my tripod & ball head choice) really hit the spot for me. Thanks for those who...
  10. M

Picked up a Zeiss 15mm f2.8

The hours and minutes ticked down last week, as I waited for the arrival of the new lens I had ordered. Yesterday was D day. And what a lens it is to hold :) Perhaps not a great example of what this lens can do, but this is one of pet interests, astro-photography (and astro time lapse/star...
  11. M

Suggestions for UV filter to fit Zeiss 15mm f2.8

I've just ordered a Zeiss 15mm f2.8 and I'm after suggestions for the UV filter (it takes a 95mm). I usually go with B&W filters for my gear, which I'm happy with, but does it need to be a slim filter? Not having one of these beasts before, I presume it does.
  12. M

Speedlite ST-E2 v's ST-E3-RT

I'm trying my hand at flash photography at the moment and I'm looking to expand my flash gear range, I started looking at slave units such as the ST-E2 and ST-E3-RT. I have access to 2 x 580EX II units (one is mine, the other, from a friend) and a 5D m3. Perhaps I'm having a blond moment here...
  13. M

300 f4 + 1.4 TC v's 500 f4.5

I've been dabbling with bird photography over the past month or so. The 300 f4 has done a sterling job, but, a 500-600 lens would be more suitable. I've been offered a Canon 500mm f4.5, which appears to be in very good condition (it was previously owned by a private individual, so, well looked...