Search results

1. scottkinfw

Travel tripods and the best light weight gimbal head?

I just came across this tripod on Kickstarter and Indiegogo (HEIPI: The Most Compact 3-in-1 Travel Tripod) and it looks great! Anybody have one and would like to give comments? Also, I have a Wimberly Wimberley Head® - Version II which I love, but as I am getting older, I need to lighten the...
  2. scottkinfw

Backcountry Journeys

Anybody have any experience with them? I am booking on a trip to Rawanda to photograph gorillas. Thanks. sek
  3. scottkinfw

Big Bend or Palo Duro Canyon in Texas- Anybody with experience?

I am planning a trip end of October and need to choose between the two. Anybody familiar with these two Texas areas and can give me suggestions as to shooting spots, and or maybe a reliable photography tour guide? Thank you. scott
  4. scottkinfw

Problems after R5 Firmware update?

I upgraded to the second firmware update and noticed that my R5 doesn't fire up! I have to press some buttons, move the lcd screen in and out, reverse it, and then, after some combination of moves, it does come to life. If I just wait and do nothing, the camera sits there without power...
  5. scottkinfw

Share R5 delivery experience

I ordered R5 plus: LP-E6NH Lithium-Ion Batterry Canon Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R Canon BG-R10 Battery Grip I received the following notice on 07/23. Anyone get a different notice? Anyone have a clue as to delivery date? Dear Customer We did not forget about you! You are receiving...
  6. scottkinfw

Photo spots in or near Flagstaff, AZ

I will be in Flagstaff July 27 & 28 with free time. Does anyone have tips for good spots to shoot? I would be interested in landscapes, wildlife, and interesting Route 66 sites. Thank you in advance. Scott
  7. scottkinfw

Antarctic Photo Tours- Recommendations/Experiences Please?

I'm considering an Antarctic trip to photograph mainly penguins and other animals. The denser the population of animals the better. The more time on the ground and off a ship the better. Does anyone have experiences and recommendations good/bad to share regarding travel companies and best...
  8. scottkinfw

Photography Websites For Selling and Storing Pics

Hi all. This has been discussed before, but I'm still not sure. My subscription to Smugmug is about to expire and I haven't been that happy with it. It is clunky and a bit hard to manage. I would like a site to display my pics and perhaps, even to sell a few. I am looking for a site that is...
  9. scottkinfw

Photo Web sites Which are bes/easiest/secure/high traffic?

Hi All. I am interested in finding out opinions on services to host photos. I currently use Smugmug but find it clunky. Any suggestions for easy to use sites with above attributes? I would love to be able to sell some pics too if any are good enough. Thanks. Scott
  10. scottkinfw

Luminar VS. Photoshop

I keep getting ads from Luminar people, with a $69 sale price. A friend of min loves the product, but he is just a newby, so I take his word with a grain of salt. Anyone switch to Luminar from the subscription services of Adobe? If so, what are your thoughts on it? Anyone with any comments...
  11. scottkinfw

Lee Filters and Filter Holder Protection

Hi all, and thank you for reading. I am exploring photography using filters. Does anyone have experience with bags that would be able to safely transport, organize, and protect the expensive filter systems, while allowing for easy and efficient access in the field? I usually take a roller bag...
  12. scottkinfw

Advice for Yosemite visit. Is it too late for this May?

Thanks for viewing and any advice. Can anyone give me advice for a trip to Yosemite? I was thinking of going end of May, and would like advice on lodging in or very close to the park. Also would love advice on spots for wildlife and/or landscape photography tips. Thanks. Scott
  13. scottkinfw

Pentax new full-frame camera. Interesting.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/pentax-apos-full-frame-k-140200289.html
  14. scottkinfw

Monolight Lighting Recommendations please!

Hi all and Happy Holidays to my CR Friends. I received a B&H gift card, and would like to apply it towards a mono light. I am new to Monolights and don't even know what features are most important. Here is information to help with recommendations: Gear to use it with 5DII, 5DIIIm 1DXII...
  15. scottkinfw

Anyone experience problems with Reikan Focal?

I purchased the latest pro version and ran my 1DXII with several lenses. My camera locked up and I had to reset to factory defaults (real PIA). The focus was off for all lenses as well. I took my gear on a landscape photography trip thereafter and I had to use live view to focus with my...
  16. scottkinfw

Help Me Cut Through the Hype

I currently use LR and a little Photoshop CC yearly plan. I"m seeing a lot about Macphun/Skylum and now Luminar 2018. I realize that the companies are coming out with the latest greatest product upgrades and a few of my friends are defecting. The question is what do my CR friends use? Which...
  17. scottkinfw

Landscapde filters and systems

Hi all. I'm going to Zion, Antelope Canyon (second time), and Monument Valley after Thanksgiving (2017). I now have a Cokin system with a few ND Grads but I am interested in opinions from people who use other systems. I would like to upgrade/round out the filters, but not waste my money on...
  18. scottkinfw

Suggestions/recommendations for Gradient filters Please

Hi CR experts. I am planning a trip to Arizona and Utah to see Zion, (revisit) Antelope Canyon, and Arches National Park. I would greatly appreciate any tips on ND filters and also gradient warming or other filters that would be helpful. Also, if anyone has any tips of things to see I would...
  19. scottkinfw

Are there any companies that print from Canon Raw files

I saw a similar post but it didn't answer my question, and so I am hoping to find out a specific answer. I am not a pro and do my own editing. Currently I use Bay Roes and like them a lot for aluminum prints with high gloss finish. I would like to take advantage of RAW during printing if...
  20. scottkinfw

Monitor recommendations(again)

I'm thinking of getting a new monitor. I would be using a MBP 13 touch with LR CC. So monitor wise, 4K? 5K? Best manufacturer/value? Of course I will calibrate. Thoughts everyone? Regrets with your monitors? Many thanks sek