Search results

1. J

The first licensed autofocus lens for RF to appear from Meike?

I got the Yongnuo lens before the lawyers shut it down (wonder if it's a collectors item???) and I prefer it to my Canon inexpensive primes. It seems brighter and better color than my 50 1.8, although that may be my imagination. But it is my favorite walking around lens now.
  2. J

Another announcement cycle is out of the way, so what’s next from Canon for the EOS R system?

Honestly what I could use is more selection at the lower end of the price range, or at least Canon taking their foot off the throat of third party developers. I can budget about a grand a year for new glass, and that doesn't buy much in the RF lineup.
  3. J

Pro-100 replacement ink

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about off-brand CLI-42 replacement cartridges. My gut says to avoid them, but $30 vs. $125 is a powerful incentive. Any brands people have found to work well? Any to avoid like it was carrying coronavirus?
  4. J

Patent: Some crazy fast RF mount prime lenses, including an RF 18mm f/1.0L

It exists! As many as four in existence according to this article.
  5. J

Canon is shutting down Irista

I checked in, seems I uploaded one photo in 2015 to see how it worked and never logged in again. With a pro account on Flickr I really didn't need it.
  6. J

Canon Third Quarter 2019 Financials

Except for maybe adding a macro lens, I am satisfied with my kit for the next few years. I am thinking I will do a major upgrade in 2023-4 and by that time the R series should be fully rounded out.
  7. J

I have seen the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III, and I can tell you what I saw.

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the One DX Mark Three It has trampled all the Nikons and will crush all the Sonys It will cost a bloody fortune but I can sell my left kidney My GAS goes marching on.
  8. J

Why has Canon omitted 24p 4K recording in their new cameras such as the EOS M6 Mark II, EOS 90D and EOS RP?

Isn't it obvious? Canon collects the tears of its users to make potions that give upper management immortality. I saw this on the internet so I know it is true.
  9. J

Canon EOS 90D promotional video appears to have leaked

So better connectivity, more pixels, and tilty-flippy screen over the 7DMII, plus AF enhancements. It will be interesting to see how 7D series users react to it. (I'm at least three years from replacing any of my current cameras, so I am just going to sit back and watch the show.)
  10. J

Canon increased its global market share of still cameras in 2018

Oh noes! Holga just introduced their digital cameras, AND THEY ARE MIRRORLESS! Can Sony survive?
  11. J

Patent: Canon to have three image stabilization systems working together

So you can say, "Well yes, the entire city was destroyed by the magnitude 9 earthquake, but look how sharp my photos are!!!!!"
  12. J

Show your Bird Portraits

Just some shots of our old friend Turdus migratorius having lunch. Mostly seeing how cropping the photo would turn out. . Canon 7DII, 70-300 DO.
  13. J

No crop on 4K coming in next APS-C DSLR [CR1]

I think Canon would be better off retaining the 7D branding and announce the end of the X0D line. If they feel the need to fill the segment below that, create something like a "Rebel Pro." As has been discussed before, the 7D market is more likely to invest more in lenses and other goodies than...
  14. J

Just curious, an f/stop question

Thanks for the answers everybody. For work I take a lot of sports photos in dismally dark high school gym while I take wildlife photos in full sun for fun. That's what made me think about this question. Well that and the price difference between f/2.8 and f/4 zooms. (I use the Tammy 150-600 for...
  15. J

BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

Vulture over Lake Sakakawea, New Town, North Dakota Canon 6D Mark II, 70-300 DO
  16. J

Just curious, an f/stop question

All other things being equal (build quality, low dispersion elements, etc.) are there any significant differences between fast (f/1.8-2.8) and slow (f/5.6 and slower) lenses when shooting with a f/11 or smaller aperture?
  17. J

Canon announces the Canon IVY CLIQ+ (Zoemini S) and Canon IVY CLIQ (Zoemini C) instant camera printers

It's a gimmick, but that's not a bad thing. If youth is their target audience getting them used to the idea that they can use a camera that isn't a phone might make them more likely to pick up a better camera when they get older. Who knows, maybe even the idea that prints are fun may even come...
  18. J

Canon EOS RP Specifications & Images

Picked up a 6DII on great Black Friday special to go with my 7DII, so that puts me out of considering another body until at least 2022. I expect by that time most of the R teething pains will be history and Sony will no longer bother to sell cameras but simply send sensors directly to DXO for...
  19. J

We’ve returned to the 26.2mp sensor in the EOS RP

Yes, the next blah blah Canon will get horrible reviews ... blah blah ... ... then go on to outsell the competition two to one.
  20. J

Weird lens behavior

I have a friend who has a 60D with a kit lens (18-135, I think) and she is having an odd problem. We both take photos of high school sports. In the last few days, her camera has exhibited an odd behavior. Through the viewfinder, the image jerks in random directions two or three times before...